Defending Corners - As Bad As People Think?

birdistheword

We defended against the corners quite well today.

I remember Lambert mentioned a few weeks ago that the players are fine defending in training, though in the matches they need to get their head in the way and potentially get hurt. It's for this reason that I believe Baker nutted the other guy in the head when attacking a corner.

The next step for me is Lambert now needs to tell the players to try and nut the ball, not the players.

• Like 2

In all fairness, WH's corners were shocking yesterday, as bad as ours sometimes. They were floating them to the back stick all the time and are easy to defend. Like Brian Clough used to say, the longer the ball stays in the air from a cross, the easier it is to defend. Look at RvP's corners fro United, whipped, hard and fast to the near post/penalty spot every single time. Do that continuously and goals will come. 

We did defend corners well but they were mostly poor from WH. Still, positives are what we need.

You can go into as much detail as you like

but just remember statistics are like a mini skirt - they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing!!

and yes we are shit at defending corners - the question wasn't "Defending Corners - how many goals do we let in" the question was "Defending Corners - As Bad As People Think".  We do defend poorly and only by luck have we not let as many goals in as people think.....the panic as soon as the opposition get a corner is visable.

• 1 month later...
Â