Defending Corners - As Bad As People Think?

birdistheword

So I'm fed up of hearing from fellow fans and pundits at how bad we are
at defending corners. I thought I'd do a little research and see just
how bad it is, I have only taken league games into account.

Opposition--------------Corners Conceded------------------Goals

West Ham (A)----------------------- 6-----------------------------------0

Everton (H)---------------------------9-----------------------------------0

Newcastle (A)-----------------------10-----------------------------------0

Swansea (H)-------------------------4------------------------------------0

Southampton (A)--------------------1-----------------------------------0

West Brom (H)-----------------------4-----------------------------------0

Tottenham (A)------------------------8-----------------------------------1

Fulham (A)---------------------------6------------------------------------1

Norwich (H)---------------------------8-----------------------------------1

Sunderland (A)----------------------6------------------------------------0       

Man Utd (H)--------------------------6------------------------------------0

Man City (A)------------------------- 9------------------------------------1

Arsenal (H)---------------------------6------------------------------------0

Reading (H)--------------------------3------------------------------------0

QPR (A)------------------------------11-----------------------------------0

Stoke (H)-----------------------------2------------------------------------0

Liverpool (A)-------------------------7------------------------------------0

Chelsea (A)--------------------------8------------------------------------1

Tottenham (H)----------------------16------------------------------------0

Wigan (H)----------------------------3-------------------------------------1

Swansea (A)-------------------------3-------------------------------------0                                 

Southampton (H)-------------------5-------------------------------------0

West Brom (A)----------------------8-------------------------------------1

Newcastle (H)-----------------------4-------------------------------------0

Everton (A)-------------------------15-------------------------------------1

Which gives the number of corners conceded this season thus far to: 168

And then the number of goals conceded from goals this season to: 8

Meaning we concede on 4.8% of our corners (In the league). Which equates to roughly a goal ever 20 corners. In my opinion this is nowhere near as bad as being made out by the media etc. and the main problem is we concede too many corners, not that we don't defend them well.

Yesterday for example was not terrible, just a matter of conceding 15 corners, there is a far more likely chance of conceding a goal eventually. I think more of the problem is the FB's who are letting the other teams wide men get into good crossing positions, for which we typically are forced to put the ball out for a corner on far too many occasions.

Edited by LockStockVilla

Defending corners is only one part of it, and the the thing most people see. But add crosses to that list, and it will probably show our main problem. We find it difficult to cut out the first ball, then panic on the second. Bringing Dunne back will help that situation, as Vlaar is better on the floor than in the air. It would also bring a little more confidence to our fullbacks since we will be stronger in the middle.

The other problem is the midfield being "brushed" aside, and leaving the defence exposed.

Edited by MagicMushroom

It would be easier to understand the stats if you included Villa in the table of clubs, so we could just see how we compare with all the others. You have presented Villa's stats in an entirely different way that makes it impossible to compare.

So we let in 1 goal every 20 corners... meaningless unless you put it stack it up against other teams and include all games. What's the difference between playing PL opposition and League 2? League 2 are more likely to play direct putting the defense under pressure in situations they don't feel comfortable with... and that's no reason to exclude them.

So roughly around 10 corners in a game so what we're saying is that it is almost impossible for us to go 2 games without keeping a clean sheet.

Dress it up however you want but it's shit.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is a **** duck.

The world has gone mad.

We have "Con" stating Bannan is world class and one of the best players in the league and now we have "birdistheword" stating we aren't bad at defending corners.

I conclude that Villa fans have taken to drugs this year to cope with the absolute dross that is being served up by the team.

The world has gone mad.

We have "Con" stating Bannan is world class and one of the best players in the league and now we have "birdistheword" stating we aren't bad at defending corners.

I conclude that Villa fans have taken to drugs this year to cope with the absolute dross that is being served up by the team.

So the stats in the first post are irrelevant? Conceding 1 in 20 corners is a bad thing? Seems some people listen to the media too much...

So the stats in the first post are irrelevant? Conceding 1 in 20 corners is a bad thing? Seems some people listen to the media too much...

Yes, it's very bad. I don't even need to research to know that. It's horrendous.

What you're saying is that on average we've roughly a 35% chance of conceding from a corner in EVERY game? You don't think that's bad?

It's annoying me too hearing about it. The only way it's going to stop annoying me is when we stop doing it.

Yes the stats are absolutely irrelevant without context - you wasted your time putting that together unless you do it for every other PL team and show trends. What are the other teams like in the PL? Have any teams ever survived being relegated knowing they are going to concede a goal every other game from a corner?

Is conceding 1 in 20 corners a bad thing? Absafuckinglutey. I bet Man Utd concede one every 100+. I bet even Wigan concede one every 50+.

Out of all of my five senses I put most faith into vision. I see the problems on the pitch with my own two eyes... I don't need to rely hearing anything from anyone in the media to be able to see we can't defend corners.

Â