The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Big John, Id like for Saturdays to come round and for me to look forward to the game. I want to get that sinking feeling when we concede and that euphoric feeling when we score. I want to enjoy supporting Villa again.

I dont want to go down, but Im tired of becoming frustrated at things I cant influence.

Fair enough.

You don't have to get frustrated but at the same time surely you can't continue to have no problem with Lerner if we were relegated.

Big John, Id like for Saturdays to come round and for me to look forward to the game. I want to get that sinking feeling when we concede and that euphoric feeling when we score. I want to enjoy supporting Villa again.

I dont want to go down, but Im tired of becoming frustrated at things I cant influence.

Fair enough.

You don't have to get frustrated but at the same time surely you can't continue to have no problem with Lerner if we were relegated.

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Will I see it as a success? No of course not. Has Lerner made mistakes? Without a doubt. A lot of them.

But what is the role of an owner/chairman?

Spend lots of money he hasnt got?

Appoint the manager the fans want?

Tell everyone and his dog his buisness on social network sites because fans cant stand a minute of not knowing whats happening? Wasnt a problem a decade ago was it?

Because These are all the things people tend to be moaning about with regards to Lerner.

How about facilitating a safe environment for fans to go and watch football?

How about making Aston Villa profitable so that they can be maintained for the long term?

I just don't understand how someone can have no problem with their team getting relegated and have no problem with the owner who causes it.

I know you don't understand, have a read, it's not that people are happy or have no problem with how we are, it's just the ways in which they choose to react.

For some people, it's less about blame and more about sympathy, for some it's the idea of what support is and isn't, for others it's about pinpointing the cause of problems and either trying to find fixes or pointing fingers, but I don't think there's anyone on here who has no problem with our present situation, or who thinks it's good.

People are different, your opinion is your opinion, other peoples opinions are theirs, none are exactly right or wrong, although there are themes that are likely to run through all of them.

I wouldn't be happy if we were relegated, I've not given up on us staying in the division just yet though, I recognise that the owner, board and chief exec haven't done well and have made some serious errors over the past two years, but I'm not looking for a night of the long knives, I think they're naive and at times foolish, but they're paying for those lessons and I still hope they'll learn them, that belief in them doesn't make me an idiot I hope (although they do seem to be trying) and your belief that their incompetence should lead to their immediate removal doesn't make you one either - but your belief that anyone who disagrees with you is a fool probably says more about you than them.

That is exactly how I feel as well. I am disappointed that things have drifted over the last couple of years but there are reasons why, some that are Lerner's fault and a fair few that aren't. He has my sympathy for the amount of his own money that has got written off but still recognise that he himself has to carry the can for a lot of it. The important thing is how he rectifies it and in my post on the previous page I said that it will take time and a fair amount of pain but the decisions indicate to me recovery is on its way, despite how inadequate the squad is at this moment in time. It's the incessant slagging off that I really dislike but if that's the way people view it it's up to them I guess, and little will change their mind in the immediate future either way.

He's been in my bad books for at least two seasons. It's amazing how your opinion of a man can change from hero to zero in such a short period of time.

Actually it's a bit longer than a 'Short Period of Time'.

His ability to effectively control the club through logical and sensible appointments of critical staff, his ability to show keen interest and his ability to plan for continual improvement have all been justifiably questionable since the summer of 2010 and that's 2 years ago.

Is he here for the glory or cost cutting and profits?

This is the heart of the matter. If you want to get into the game of owning a competitive Premiership football team then you do it because you have money, not to make money.

How many chairmen profit from Football ?

Seriously, you think the guy that spent around £200M on Villa is in it for profit ?

He **** up, he's trying to fix the financials, unfortunately that's at the expense of the football side.

What Villa needs right now is something between RL 2006 - 2010 and RL since, and i honestly thought that we'd have gotten there this season.

It does now seem we're seeing a deja vu situation and RL (like Ellis before him) is tightening the purse strings prior to selling up and moving on.

And so the ownership lottery begins. Will we get a Sheikh Monsoor or a Sheikh Al Thani ?

It is Villa’s worst opening home defeat for 15 years since losing 4-0 to Blackburn and the first time they have lost their opening two games of a season since 2002-03, when David O’Leary was starved of finance by owner Doug Ellis as he prepared to sell up to Lerner.

stopped reading the article as they didnt even get basic facts correct

It is Villa’s worst opening home defeat for 15 years since losing 4-0 to Blackburn and the first time they have lost their opening two games of a season since 2002-03, when David O’Leary was starved of finance by owner Doug Ellis as he prepared to sell up to Lerner.

stopped reading the article as they didnt even get basic facts correct

My favourite bit is the section about Doug preparing to sell to Lerner, which happened just 4 years later. Brilliant journalism.

does anyone know if Randy was at the Everton game??

he ought to have been there... 1st home game of the season, new manager, new players, fresh start, etc

speaks volumes if he wasn't there :oops:

Something I don't like about football broadcasts is the scarcity of shots of the crowd, and people of interest in the crowd.

Fair enough.

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Will I see it as a success? No of course not. Has Lerner made mistakes? Without a doubt. A lot of them.

Tell everyone and his dog his buisness on social network sites because fans cant stand a minute of not knowing whats happening? Wasnt a problem a decade ago was it?

Because These are all the things people tend to be moaning about with regards to Lerner.

How about making Aston Villa profitable so that they can be maintained for the long term?

Shush, stop,talking sense!

If the owner cannot spend loads and loads, they should sell to someone who can. If the then new owners cannot spend loads and loads they should sell up to someone who can and on and on and on and on...

Fair enough.

He's made such a mess of the finance side that it would take years to get back into surplus. We're a million miles away from being sustainable.

Where Randy messed-up is by trusting MON with wages and appointing debutant CEOs. We're now digging out of a massive hole that was created as a result. I felt Paul Barber (ex-tottenham) would have been a perfect hire after he left Vancouver Whitecaps. Looks like Brighton signed him and guess what - they have sold record season tickets.

I think he's learning (Or 'lerning') to have the courage of his convictions again and to trust a manager to bring the good in and get rid of the bad as quick as possible, whether they were already there or the manager has brought them in and doesn't want them anymore.

Talkshite have just said that their "US sources" believe that Lerner will be looking to invest more in Villa following his sale of the Cleveland Browns for $1.1 billion. They did say however that this investment won't take place until January or next season.

I hate Talksport :(

He's made such a mess of the finance side that it would take years to get back into surplus. We're a million miles away from being sustainable.

I'm going to disagree with that. I think the plans he's putting in place, quite akin to the current macro-economic austerity measures that are equally unpopular, could well see us as a sustainable self-financing club. Our biggest problem, that of buying and paying for a large number of incredibly well paid players with little to no resale value, has become far less of an issue although we are now in a position where many of the remaining playing staff might not have cost a lot but they're also unlikely to generate any future transfer fees for us.

The club needs to be looking to the future and ensuring that the cost of player acquisitions can be funded from operational income, with transfer fees being a bonus that can be reinvested rather than used to prop up the club's cost base.

Not sure it says anything but i know Randy was not at the game on Saturday. Now I would have expected for Lambert's first home game fo r the owener to turn up but there you go.

One thing I will say baout Randy is that he is in danger of repeatign the mistakes made by Ellis in the years after we won the European Cup.

It started with shedding of the high earning experienced playrs who had won us all our trophies, followed by an over empahsis on youth players who ended up being not upto the task and low and behold we went down.

I hope we aren't in a similar cycle.

Not sure it says anything but i know Randy was not at the game on Saturday. Now I would have expected for Lambert's first home game fo r the owener to turn up but there you go.

One thing I will say baout Randy is that he is in danger of repeatign the mistakes made by Ellis in the years after we won the European Cup.

It started with shedding of the high earning experienced playrs who had won us all our trophies, followed by an over empahsis on youth players who ended up being not upto the task and low and behold we went down.

I hope we aren't in a similar cycle.

I can see what you're saying and I also hope we aren't in a similar cycle. I think we've got this cycles' version of Billy McNeal out the way.

Can someone tell me could we follow Barcelona's model of ownership?

The club has over 155,000 "socis" ("socios" or "members") who each pay up to €140 annually for the privilege.The socis govern the club by electing a president of the board of directors every four years.

Randomly selected members are appointed to serve as delegates to the general assembly, which approves the annual budget.

Now I am not saying that we would get anywhere near the 155k that FCB have but surely we could get a decent amount, when you see Villa Talk has 60k+ members it doesn't seem crazy.

Â