The Randy Lerner thread

CI

But neither did they have 3 years of massive disinvestment, selling off all their star players without a plan to replace them.

Nor did they have two useless managers in succession who made big mistakes with what little money was available (Makoun, CNZ, etc.)

In the last 3 yrs we have still spent more than them, even though yes they had a plan and didnt have to sell their star players...

In the last 3 yrs we have still spent more than them, even though yes they had a plan and didnt have to sell their star players...

Depends which years you're counting and which figures you are using but if you look at net spend (using the figures from transferleague.co.uk) then the comparison is:

Villa

10/11 +£ 4,700,000

11/12 -£20,500,000

12/13 +£21,700,000

Balance +£ 5,900,000

WBA

10/11 +£4,000,000

11/12 +£2,600,000

12/13 +£1,500,000

Balance +£8,100,000

So while West Brom haven't spent anywhere near the topline sums that Villa have under Lerner, they have quietly outspent us in net terms. They haven't been on such a crazy roller-coaster, either.

Hmmmm, it is starting to feel a bit serious now. I liked what I saw against Swansea and at times against Albion. But for me, setting the club up to be so 'self sustaining,' trimming the wage bill or whatever you want to call it, can only last so long in this division. Sooner or later, 'middle of the road' clubs (which is what we are rapidly slipping underneath) will struggle to stay in the division. This is our third season of struggling. We are Aston Villa, yeah? Struggling in the lower echelons of the English Premier League - that's the Pride Of The Midlands, Aston Villa... Hello...

The Cup match away to Citeh is likely to be our main highlight this season.

I like Lambert and I like how he has made things interesting at the club again. But we are in shite it seems. The trapdoor is catching up on us, like it did to 'middle of the road' Southampton, Norwich, Coventry, Charlton and Middlesbrough all those years ago. I just hope that if we go down, we will have the resources to come straight back - otherwise, look where Coventry are now. 'Nice' stadium, shit football. It's 8 games into his tenure - I am right behind the management, but I am a born worrier. And after two seasons in the bottom half dogfight, you just don't know which way this going to turn. The tough fixtures are all still to come as well.

If we spend in January, I hope we show our cards early. I get so frustrated with waiting until 'deadline day' (ish) before anyone shows interest at Villa in doing transfers.

Of course, win against Norwich and we'll all be talking about qualifying for Europe again I guess...

investment..humm when we hit our peak under mon we still needed to spend £20m to stand still let alone kick on, then the rug being pulled has sent us back big time..while other clubs have kicked on were playing catch up..as said before 3 wba players would walk into this villa side, we need to spend a heck of alot to get in the mix again, i dont think randy is your man for this level, at the present time we can offer prem football but if that goes were hardly a pull are we?

No he ran the club that we support badly which means we have a right to criticise.

ive no problem people criticizing the owner, but same guy making same critical points on random days e.g. today Lerner has done nothing wrong today and has been randomly described as a failure

As I drove past BHX earlier today, a plane remarkably similar to Randys Flacon was just landing. Couldn't see the reg so can't confirm but certainly looked like his all white jet.

If we don't win at the weekend Randy will also be personally blamed for the result (like he is for every bad result). I wonder if certain posters will personally praise him if we do win? :lol:

He's not to blame for individual results. He's to blame for the fact the club and playing squad has fallen so dramatically and that the club is such a joke.

Keep laughing though. You'll always find someone else to blame.

Aston Villa were so **** brilliant until Randy Lerner took over and systematically sapped all the money from the club and deliberately got us relegated because he actually hates us, doesn't try at all, and is a Small Heath fan. Let's get angry at the bastard, because after all, we have to be angry at something!

This is really for the posters who keep repeating that all Lambert had to spend in the summer window was 17m.

Shortly before the window closed, it was reported by the media that we had bid for Dempsey. Now if there was an actual bid, does it not suggest that Lambert had more money to spend than 17m? Didn't Lambert also state that the chairman had made funding available to purchase more established stars, but he chose not to?

This would suggest to me that the chairman did actually make more than the quoted budget of 17m available but Lambert chose not to use it. One of his targets turned us down (Dempsey) and there could have been others but maybe they also turned us down and it just wasn't reported in the media as everyone knows how we like to conduct our business behind closed doors. No-one really got wind of several of Lambert's purchases.

Just because we spent 17m, it doesn't follow that was the actual budget available!

I imagine that money became available at the last minute in a desperate bid to sign a player that was desperate to move.

I think if that money had been made available earlier in the summer and restrictions were not in place Lambert could have improved the squad better than he eventually did.

Let's just hope the appointment of Henke and a big cheque in Lerner's pocket means we're about to spend sensibly and attract quality.

I imagine that money became available at the last minute in a desperate bid to sign a player that was desperate to move.

I think if that money had been made available earlier in the summer and restrictions were not in place Lambert could have improved the squad better than he eventually did.

Let's just hope the appointment of Henke and a big cheque in Lerner's pocket means we're about to spend sensibly and attract quality.

add on top of that, I don't know, Lambert actually wanting to give players a shot before instantly replacing them might have been another factor.

He's not to blame for individual results. He's to blame for the fact the club and playing squad has fallen so dramatically and that the club is such a joke.

Keep laughing though. You'll always find someone else to blame.

If you don't think he's to blame for individual results then how come you're always blaming him for them?

Someone else to blame? I've always maintained that Randy is far from blameless. However, unlike some I don't place all of the blame on him.

This is really for the posters who keep repeating that all Lambert had to spend in the summer window was 17m.

Shortly before the window closed, it was reported by the media that we had bid for Dempsey. Now if there was an actual bid, does it not suggest that Lambert had more money to spend than 17m? Didn't Lambert also state that the chairman had made funding available to purchase more established stars, but he chose not to?

This would suggest to me that the chairman did actually make more than the quoted budget of 17m available but Lambert chose not to use it. One of his targets turned us down (Dempsey) and there could have been others but maybe they also turned us down and it just wasn't reported in the media as everyone knows how we like to conduct our business behind closed doors. No-one really got wind of several of Lambert's purchases.

Just because we spent 17m, it doesn't follow that was the actual budget available!

I would go farther and say the Dempsey news proves that Lambert had more to spend, and it is why I have no doubt we will be spending come January.

Â