The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I understand the hardest part would be to raise the capital to buy the club from Mr. Lerner, but is it a completely unrealistic idea?

Yep.

We couldnt even fill the stadium when we were "peaking" under MON.

We dont have the fan base for such things

I understand the hardest part would be to raise the capital to buy the club from Mr. Lerner, but is it a completely unrealistic idea?

60k registered VT members, of which a conservative 20k have either lost interest or are bots. Leaves 40k.

So to cover RL's outlay we'd each have to cough up 5 grand.

To match what RL could spend on the club by blowing half his nett worth we'd each have to put a further 20 grand in a bank account. We would then have to agree on how to spend this, which could possibly be a problem if VT members weren't all so sensible and disinclined to argue with each other.

Bottom line for me is that the best owner for the club is the one prepared to spend money on it. If a wealthier prospect than RL comes along, by all means we should encourage him to sell, but we should be grateful for the money he has spent, however unwisely at times.

So we're being told it's wages that are the problem and not the fee when signing players.

But we can't agree a deal with Genk. Hmmm.

According to you we had 'nothing' to spend :lol:

Also, I don't really see why we shouldn't negotiate properly - a lot of people criticised the club for overpaying in the past.. so..

So we're being told it's wages that are the problem and not the fee when signing players.

But we can't agree a deal with Genk. Hmmm.

So if Genk are asking for 15m we should just bend over and let them shaft us right up the arse?

Get some perspective ffs.

Barca? Oh no, couldn't work anywhere else. Or maybe it could.

Some responses are too negative.

Barca are world's most successful, most brilliant, most attractive, best supported club, and part, part of the reason is the identity between the club and the fans.

We need another model of ownership. One where the punters feel some affiliation with what they buy - we used to have that.

(By the way, it works for companies other than football clubs).

Barca? Oh no, couldn't work anywhere else. Or maybe it could.

Some responses are too negative.

Barca are world's most successful, most brilliant, most attractive, best supported club, and part, part of the reason is the identity between the club and the fans.

We need another model of ownership. One where the punters feel some affiliation with what they buy - we used to have that.

(By the way, it works for companies other than football clubs).

The thing is, if we did it the Barcelona way would we lobby for Aston to become an independent state? I suspect the government would accept that, for a laugh.

Dont get the transfer fees = / = wages thing.

Wages = £

Transfer Fees = £.

We cant have some £ but not have other £.

We either do, or do not have £. We dont. Thats fine, we needed to downsize what we were spending and I understand it means we'll be buying smartly, great! I just feel like some people think this whole wages thing means that we can spunk £10m on a player if we can get them to accept normal wages. We cant, we're skint. In both fee's and wages, it will be good for us in the long run. But this 'we can afford transfer fees but not wages' is just bull imo.

I'd be okay if we go down his year. In some ways I wish we'd go down. Watching teams like QPR and Sunderland throw money around is taking the sport out of it for me. Maybe I'm just getting old, but there seemed to be a time when success was based on what you did with resources, not just who had the biggest sugar daddy.

I'd be okay if we go down his year. In some ways I wish we'd go down.

I never knew april fools had come late this year.

Yeah, I don't actually wish for it, just a bit down after the start to the season and the transfers for other clubs.

I'd be okay if we go down his year. In some ways I wish we'd go down.

I never knew april fools had come late this year.

Yeah, I don't actually wish for it, just a bit down after the start to the season and the transfers for other clubs.

Sunderland will crash and burn under O'Neill just like we did...he's up to the same antics up there, throwing money at mediocre talent.

Â