Favourite Sport To Watch (Not football)

MattS

What sport do you like watching the most (Not Football)  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What sport do you like watching the most (Not Football)

• Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Rugby (L)
    • Rugby (U)
    • Basketball
    • Hockey (Field or Ice)
    • Baseball
    • NFL
    • Pub Sports (Darts, 9-ball etc...)
    • Other

We (as in Britain & Ireland) get the live American feed including replays. A game kicks off at 6pm our time and another kicks off at 9pm. Sometimes you miss the first few minutes of the 2nd game and sometimes you don't. You never miss an hour though. So I dunno what your network are doing PussEKatt!

The average NFL game is roughly 3:15-3:20 from start to finish in real time*. The NFL tweaks the rules/points of emphasis/etc. every year to keep it in that range. The TV scheduling on the doubleheader network for a given week makes it fairly apparent:

1pm: early game

415pm: late game, and for the first 10-15 minutes or so you'll be hearing the commentator saying "we welcome those of you who were just watching $EARLY_GAME" (followed by a quick summary of anything noteworthy in the early going); alternatively, if one lives in a market that's obligated to show a particular late game in its entirety, you'll often get the "due to contractual obligations, we will be cutting away to show you $OBLIGATORY_GAME" at about 410pm, with an often-abrupt cut (occasionally in the middle of a play) to local adverts at 412, and then to the beginning of the late game.

*: the only real exception to this is the Super Bowl, which is almost never shorter than 3:30 or 3:45 (the most recent one is a notable exception, finishing in 3:23), largely due to the extra advert breaks.

For me, football in general is good: association, rugby league, rugby union, gridiron, australian, gaelic,...

Actually yeah I forgot it kicks off at a quarter past the hour. So yeah, wot I sed with Levi's clarification. Either way, a gridiron game ain't 4 hours, not even the superbowl with it's stupid half time and ad breaks.

We (as in Britain & Ireland) get the live American feed including replays. A game kicks off at 6pm our time and another kicks off at 9pm. Sometimes you miss the first few minutes of the 2nd game and sometimes you don't. You never miss an hour though. So I dunno what your network are doing PussEKatt!

Well from what you are saying there is definately something going on somewhere cause a live game here goes 4 hours, like I said including college games, so WTF is happening ?! I mean the game is live,how can the network fiddle that ?

Could it just be that you're wrong, rather than some sort of bizarre conspiracy theory?

Golf. The Masters is the greatest sporting event outside of football imo.

Its still a load of the same middle aged blokes chasing a little ball around a field isn't it. What difference does it make the venue it is at or the name? The games is still the same, they aren't competing directly against each other either so no difference there. I can kinda understand the taking part enjoyment but enjoying a specific event seems odd. Its exactly the same isn't it?

My problem with watching golf is that there's not a whole lot going on and it's all very relaxed which is fine if you're out there but not if I'm watching a sport on the telly. You can dumb most sports down with the old "blokes chasing a [something] around a [something]" depending on what you're criticising. That's not my problem with it. I also don't doubt that I'm hampered by the fact I don't play the sport and by extension couldn't give a rat's fanny who wins what. As my checklist for sport goes, golf pretty much ticks none of the boxes.

Bit like Tennis I suppose, the same dozen or so guys comete against each other every week on a different strip of grass. Its difficult to get excited about Wimbledon or any other specific event when they play each other every week anyway. Golf is slightly less appealing as they aren't even competing against each other, they're just trying to do the course in the least amount of shots. They don't even need to really be there on the same day.

Its still a load of the same middle aged blokes chasing a little ball around a field isn't it. What difference does it make the venue it is at or the name? The games is still the same, they aren't competing directly against each other either so no difference there. I can kinda understand the taking part enjoyment but enjoying a specific event seems odd. Its exactly the same isn't it?

You could say that about anything.

What's the difference between the world cup final and a Conference North game?

It's the occasion, the stakes, the rewards, the competitors, the venue, the fans, the history.

On another note, it makes me angry that cricket is nearly winning this poll.

That's completely different though isn't it.

The top 10 golfers playing at Augusta is pretty much the same as the top 10 golfers playing at *another top US golf course*. The quality on offer in the world cup final is completely different to a conference match so its not comparable.

Neil Neil Neil...where to start? :)

On The Masters itself. Augusta National is the mecca for all golfers, arguably the most exclusive golf club in the world. It is the 1st of 4 majors throughout the year and entrance is strictly by invitation only (selected by the club itself) unless you are a previous Masters champion, for which you recieve an automatic invitation each year. Unless you are invited to play there by a member, you will never set foot on the course regardless of how much money you have.

Now to the golf in general. Its not all middle ages blokes, you've got people like Rory McIlroy current world number 2 (22), Jason Day (24), Rickie Fowler (23) & Matteo Manassero (18 all bursting onto the scene. Yes i suppose the idea of the game never changes but the top 3 names in each event are very rarely the same.

Not sure what you mean about not competing directly against your opponants? Unless you mean it relies on your own skill and ability?

The top 10 golfers playing at Augusta is pretty much the same as the top 10 golfers playing at *another top US golf course*. The quality on offer in the world cup final is completely different to a conference match so its not comparable.

But you see mate, its not like that with golf. Louis Oosthuizen was ranked 54th in the world when he won The Open in 2010, Charl Schwartzel was ranked 29th in the world when he won The Masters last year, Darren Clarke was ranked 111th in the world before winning The Open last year!!!

Fair enough, I misread your point slightly (didn't get the "same players" thing)

But I still think my point is valid. To go along with the football analogy, what's the difference between Spain vs Brazil in the World Cup Final or Spain vs Brazil in an August Friendly?

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I don't actually much like sport at all. Which is a bit of a revelation. Even football - I only watched the Milan-Barca game because there was nothing else on that I fancied.

It's just the Villa. Which is just sheer masochism these days.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I don't actually much like sport at all. Which is a bit of a revelation. Even football - I only watched the Milan-Barca game because there was nothing else on that I fancied.

:nod:

You'll probably watch the Olimpiks cuz it 'seems like the thing to do' :)

Â