• N'Zogbia
    • Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Sylla (for N'Zogbia 79)
    • Holman (for El Ahmadi 82)
    • Baker (for Agbonlahor 90+2)

Anyone who is betting in play against us surrendering leads must be making an absolute fortune this season.

I actually had a 100 pound bet on us to win and would have gotten 900 pounds back. But at half time, I chickened out and hedged my bet so I would get even with both a draw and a loss. Would have gotten a handsome profit if we won even with the hedging costs.

I have lost quite a lot on betting on Villa since the Liverpool match, where I got a big score. Apart from the Chelsea and Tottenham matches and the cup games, I have had a bet on every Villa match. Think it is time to stop betting on this useless team.

same meat..different gravy!   

watch the game in the pub,you just knew how the book was going to end before you turned the pages

this defence need a no frills defender.. ie stokes huth.

Did we play a traditional 442 yesterday ?

yes

same meat..different gravy!   

watch the game in the pub,you just knew how the book was going to end before you turned the pages

this defence need a no frills defender.. ie stokes huth.

yes

Imo we played 4-2-3-1 with Westwood and KEA in the role of DM, and Weimann, Zog and Gabby behind the lonely striker. It is a formation that suits us very well and that i hope to see confirmed.

And yet no-one would have replaced Vlaar, who was the one who lost Fellaini for the equaliser. So who's fault was that?

I'd imagine that will be Lambert's fault too

Every single one of us would have taken a point from yesterday's game. We looked really good going forward which bodes well. Individual mistakes cost us big time, but a couple more performances like that and confidence will increase

We are still struggling at the back, partly because we can only field players like Clark whilst other teams around us can buy players at £75k or £100k a week. Was Warnock five times better than Bennett because we were paying him five times as much

We need to pull together for the next few games which are crucial not constantly moan

Finally, fat **** Garth Crooks, what a tw*t - "Lambert should have signed an experienced defender" - thanks a **** bunch Einstein. Do you think he didn't want to

• Like 1

So, cutting costs is not working,

Getting rid of the high erners is not working either.

FFS, why cant we just do what all the other PL teams are doing and pay the going rate and get some decent players in ??????????????????????????

I understand why you say that - I think the problem is Baker's lack of attacking ability. No easy answer really

For me, Baker is a CB plain and simple. If he could stay injury free along with Vlaar I think it's the way forward. He's a big lad and can really head the ball. when we have played him at LB in previous years he has been found seriously lacking in pace imo. 

anyway here's what I thought about yesterday.......now I've calmed down a bit!!

Guzan - made some good saves. Ooozes determination. different class to Given on the last 2 years evidence imo.

Bennett - was really poor again yesterday though. Dont get me wrong the lad applied himself and didnt just get mauled like when he was faced with Lennon. But he doesn't look ready yet (I'll not write him off forever just yet) and I saw someone say on another thread that we've won only one game he started this season - and that was when he got stretchered off at sunderland. Lichaj or Enda should be given a run - if nothing else to take bennett out of the firing line a bit. 

Clark - for me is going to end up a DMC like Barry. He also lacks the pace to be an effective LB and certainly doesn't have the physical presence to be a CB. Really poor game yesterday.

Vlaar - was our best defender, which may not say alot! but better players than him have and will be caught out by a fellaini header from a baines corner. Wish he would concentrate on the ball a little bit more than the man at set pieces but without him we would have NO defence. Other than the 2 corners he's been at fault for (Bradford/Everton) what have people got to complain about with this guy? I don't get the criticism of him from some quarters. 

Lowton - great assist and application. Never seems to know whether to press the ball or stay in line for 2nd and 3rd phase attacks though. Decision making will need to improve with experience but  I believe it will.

KEA - Total passenger. Game completely passed him by.

Westwood - GOOD GAME. not too much posession but great cross for Gabbys goal. He seems to me to be the only midfielder whose positioning is any good. closes down well, competative. Best performance Ive seen from him in claret and blue so far imho.

Weimann - not his best game but not his worst. Gutting he wasnt on the near post for the corner though. could've won the game, chance was on his wrong foot. May not be "a winger" but runs good angles and is a handful for the opposition.

Nzog - as someone else has said. Good first half, lost in the second. Great ball to Benteke for the first too.

Gabby - We'd be SOOOOO **** without him. keep it up

Benteke - There is nothing I need to say here. When his first touch improves he's going to be unstoppable. made Heitinga look like a Villa defender.

subs:

Sylla - came on for Nzog originally. Was visibly nervous. obviously told to patrol the half way line and close down in their half. I liked this and thought it was a good idea from Lambert in not putting too much pressure on him. KEA went off Sylla went back alongside Westwood, showed good application looked like he hadnt trained much with us tbh. As everyone said, hard to judge on a cameo. looks like a battler though

Holman - Came on for KEA (did he get a knock?) totally ineffective - took over the Nzog/sylla role. Ran around and closed down as ever. cant remember him touching the ball

Baker - came on for gabby at the death, mostly to run the clock down a bit add a bit of steel. shame he didnt double up on Fellaini in hindsight!! late sub not involved basically.

All in all a heart breaking, spirit raising, bitterly crushing, moral boosting draw clutched from the jaws of victory.

In the cold light of day though I gotta say they showed the fight they need for the run in. I'm starting to think 1 clean sheet from anywhere, anyhow would give the nippers so much self belief. Being 2 up and conceding 1 this team has just simply GOT to find "another gear" from somewhere. The equaliser was inevitable, and in truth we were lucky to come away with a point at the end. Everton are a good team and showed it. We weren't embarrased like we were at VP though. draw was probably a fair result overall. 

and yeah the ref was shit.

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

was watching sky sports in the pub...we went 1-3 up and I said "ah well at least we could get a draw"

One of my mates said "are you serious" I said " never been more serious, we are incapable of seeing out a winning position"

He said at the final whistle " you bastard" I said " so predictable its untrue"

This forward line is capable of beating many teams....The defence is capable of beating no one....The midfield is just incapable of holding the ball, I'm not sure what its capable of.

PS If it was a horse.... I would shoot it.

Edited by TRO

"Anyone who thinks Villa's front three can't cause you problems are wrong because they have some fantastic attacking players with power and pace," he added. "We were ready but just couldn't deal with it. Those players will give them every chance of getting out of trouble."

Comments from David Moyes, not sure if been posted here but I 100% agree with him, can't believe we finally have an attacking force but can't defend for shit and any hope we have now is down to Gabby, Tekkers and Weimann with Zoggy behind them.

Edited by samjp26

So, cutting costs is not working,

Getting rid of the high erners is not working either.

FFS, why cant we just do what all the other PL teams are doing and pay the going rate and get some decent players in ??????????????????????????

Cutting costs is not working???????????

It's not a strategy that been designed to make us better - good grief!!!

(also getting rid of the high eanrers is the same as cutting costs, not a parallel strategy)

I'd like a little more investment but personally I wouldn't like players like Samba at £100k a week here, thats not sustainable.

Guzan - 6

Thought he did good to command the box, but he always seems to let an easy one in. Really needs to do better in stopping those shots.

Lowton - 6

Great ball for the 3rd goal, but he's a bit hit or miss when it comes to tackling. Seems hesitant on when to press or back off and doesn't track players runs after they pass the ball well. Did well to burst forward and set up N'Zogbia and Westwood for the 2nd goal.

Vlaar - 6

Actually thought he did well most of the game. Cleaned up a lot of Clark's errors and did well for most of the game to keep Felliani in his back pocket, but just made a mistake on the last goal. Was on Fellaiani and everything, but just didn't jump for the ball

Clark - 4.5

Abysmal for most of the game. Constantly out muscled by Anichebe and really lacked a physical presence. Made some timely blocks and interceptions but will struggle against physical strikers for the most part.

Bennet - 4

Got turned inside out in the first half and seems devoid of any confidence. Didn't make as many mistakes in the 2nd half as they relied more heavily on Baines, but didn't even offer something significant going forward. Doesn't seem to link up well with Gabby or anyone else for that matter.

Westwood - 7

Thought he played great. Only midfielder that passes and then moves to receive the ball or at least draw some space away from other players. Always eager to get the ball and rarely loses it. Occasionally guilty of trying to release our attacking players early, but had the right idea. Also delivered quite the cross for the 2nd goal. Didn't get that many corners but they were dangerous and whipped in. Quite a good player.

KEA - 4.5

Passenger for most of the game. Made some interceptions and occasionally broke up the play, but not physical enough to really play that role. Can't think of any significant passes he made.

Weimann - 5

Missing for most of the game, but did a good job of tracking back Baines to keep him quiet when he wasn't on corner duty. Linked well with Lowton for the 3rd goal, but really should have done better with his chance.

Gabby - 6.5

Well taken goal and provided an outlet. Great link up play with N'Zogbia and good pass to set up Weimann for his chance as well. Limited at times when he was going down a wing as he shows he's not a natural winger, but definitely important as we move forward.

N'Zogbia - 5.5

Did great to take on 3 players and skip by them to set up Benteke for the first goal and always looked to link up play and get the ball moving forward but struggled in the 2nd half. Still lacking an end product but I think a goal is coming from him. Just needs some support.

Benteke - 7.5

Beastly again. Monstrous as he took on Heitinga and showed great burst and finishing for the first goal and just outmuscled the defender for his 2nd goal. Didn't really miss any sitters this game and did well to hold the ball up when it was lumped up to him. Special player.

we had 36% possession. we must easiuly have the worst possession of every team in the prem which is why we invite pressure, we cant keep the ball. as someone posted earlier, when we went three one up i said to a mate well we should get a draw from here as we arent tough enough to hold on. if it was 2 mins injury time we'd have squandered it in that space, we are almost waiting for it to happen. sad thing is i wouldnt have been surprised if we lost 4 -3.

Â