25 Steps To Becoming A Football Hipster

nobler

They are very decent sides in the leagues but the fact is the clubs have a lot less money than the big 2. No spanish club could afford Michu buyout clause for example.

I think was in summer window when no club outside Real and Barca signed a player over 5 million euros, Its not that fun when your opponents are living off Bosmans and loans

slightly off topic but to do with Barcelona point. I get no enjoyment watching a team pasting teams who have less money than them every week. A thumping is good to watch once in a while but not every week

Totes agree. Enjoyed the Clasico 5-0 because it was like Barca's pinnacle. Can't be bothered with Barca at home to Deportivo.

2. Do not under any circumstances miss the Guardian’s Football Weekly with James Richardson. From now on; you worship James Richardson. If anyone asks why, get misty eyed, stare into the distance and recall him “years back” on Channel Four holding up La Gazzetta dello Sport. Say it’s one of the enduring images of your childhood.

3. Tell people you were into the Zonal Marking back when it was Mantoman.com.

4. Buy Inverting The Pyramid. Read it cover to cover. Take shorthand notes to remember important terms like catenaccio, regista, triquartista and manager.

8. Your favourite Barcelona player is no longer Messi. It's Busquets. Claim Michael Carrick is Manchester United’s most important player and that Andrea Pirlo should have won the Ballon D’or.

10. Despise all football pundits except for Gary Neville and Pat Nevin.

12. Actively root for AVB and always, always refer to him as AVB.

13. At all times defend Zlatan Ibrahimovic. This is only tricky when talking about his time at Barcelona as he comes into direct conflict with fellow hipster God Pep Guardiola. In this instance, defend Zlatan’s record, cite his scoring and assist record but also cite that perhaps he was too much of an individual in the ultimate collective and that Pep needed to free Messi.

14. Adore everything about Borussia Dortmund. Visit the Westfalenstadion. Rename you cat Klopp.

20. Play FIFA 13 using the Brendan Rodgers possession game.

I'm guilty (to an extent) of all of these.

I love both of them.  With Barça, it started with an appreciation.  When I was younger, I had a similar appreciation of the Real Madrid team that included Raúl, Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos, etc.  They were brilliant to watch.

However, with Barça, I started watching them more and more, because it was so bloody entertaining, and became seduced by their ethos, style and attitude.  I've been over to the Camp Nou for a visit but unfortunately the timing wasn't right to catch a game, but I hope to change that this year.  I'd like to say that I'm a fan, and will still be in the future when things may not be so good.  After all, not everything can last forever, and football is evolving all the time - Barcelona are just the pinnacle of the current phase.  But I'll still fondly remember this side, and because of it I will always support Barcelona.

With Dortmund it was different.  I wanted to start following German football (see the start of the Bundesliga thread on here!) and was trying to choose a team.  I wanted someone similar to Villa, but also a club I felt I could somehow connect with.  I didn't want to follow Bayern.  I plumped for Dortmund, as I loved the look of their stadium, and thought that their history was fairly similar to Villa's.  I liked the attitude of the club and the management.  It just happened that in that season, they won the league, and it was **** awesome!  Although the signs were there that this was a promising team, nobody expected them to win the title at the start of the season, and I certainly didn't.  But choosing to follow them that year, and for that to then actually happen, was brilliant.

It might still seem like I'm a bit of a 'glory supporter' in this respect, but I'd argue otherwise.  At the end of the day, Dortmund will be my German team, and Barça will be my Spanish team, come what may in the future.  Barça I started to follow because they were so good, and as I followed them more they began to get better and better; but Dortmund I followed because they appealed to me, and shortly afterwards they developed and clicked into the fantastic team that they are now.

Still, Villa will always be my main club.  But getting to watch Barça give someone a beautiful pasting, after witnessing another inept performance by Villa, helps a little to balance out the all-too-common miserable weekends when we lose!

Agree, Good post.

Well the clash between those two at the Riazor earlier this season was certainly worth a watch.  Yes, Barça won, but it was 5-4!

I'm not sure that that's as meaningful as it sounds in a comparison between the PL and LFP. The tiebreakers the respective leagues use dramatically alter the incentives in the top vs. bottom games.

In a league where it's points -> goal difference, the top club has every incentive to try to score 10 and the bottom club is likely to park the bus and pray for a 0-0.

In a league where it's points -> h2h, all that matters is the 3 points, so the bottom club has no reason not to try and score goals.

The latter scenario is a hell of a lot more likely to see 5-4.

I'm not sure that goal difference is that good of a method for tiebreaking, but h2h has the downside of making too many games meaningless. I've been contemplating strength of victory as a better tiebreaker: add up the points of the teams beaten. It's easy enough to compute and can quickly be put into the table; it's also in all but a few likely cases effectively wins -> strength of victory

Well the clash between those two at the Riazor earlier this season was certainly worth a watch.  Yes, Barça won, but it was 5-4!

I'm not sure that that's as meaningful as it sounds in a comparison between the PL and LFP. The tiebreakers the respective leagues use dramatically alter the incentives in the top vs. bottom games.

In a league where it's points -> goal difference, the top club has every incentive to try to score 10 and the bottom club is likely to park the bus and pray for a 0-0.

In a league where it's points -> h2h, all that matters is the 3 points, so the bottom club has no reason not to try and score goals.

The latter scenario is a hell of a lot more likely to see 5-4.

I'm not sure that goal difference is that good of a method for tiebreaking, but h2h has the downside of making too many games meaningless. I've been contemplating strength of victory as a better tiebreaker: add up the points of the teams beaten. It's easy enough to compute and can quickly be put into the table; it's also in all but a few likely cases effectively wins -> strength of victory

Your point is entirely valid (as always!) but at that stage the discussion wasn't really about comparing the Premier League to the LFP.  My post was related to whether or not watching Barça against lower ranking Spanish opposition was entertaining/boring, as coda used the example of Barça-Depor.

:lol: I'm guilty of a fair few.

1. Get a zany football shirt. Not a St Pauli one as they’ve become too mainstream. This year the shirt to have is Real Oviedo’s (preferably Abel Xavier era one). It will show you’re in the know and care about the little guy and that you follow Sid Lowe.

2. Do not under any circumstances miss the Guardian’s Football Weekly with James Richardson. From now on; you worship James Richardson. If anyone asks why, get misty eyed, stare into the distance and recall him “years back” on Channel Four holding up La Gazzetta dello Sport. Say it’s one of the enduring images of your childhood.

10. Despise all football pundits except for Gary Neville and Pat Nevin.

11. Say Revista de La Liga has lost something since they sacked Mark Bolton.

12. Actively root for AVB and always, always refer to him as AVB.

14. Adore everything about Borussia Dortmund.

25 Steps to becoming a football hipster

Those are mine. Great topic BTW.

Claim that winning the FA Cup will always be better then qualifying for europe.

Claim that the Europa is actually better then the CL

Pay the slightest amount of attention to AFCON

Ironically refer to cliches like 'can Messi do it on a windy night in stoke'

Love Richardson and always defend Ibra... but don't listen to the Football Weekly and don't give a shit about Guardiola.

If you love James Richardson then why wouldn't you listen to Football Weekly?

Apart from occasional ESPN games or World's Strongest Man then it's more or less the only place he's been for the last decade or so.

Â