RBS Six Nations Rugby 2013

islingtonclaret

Conditions undoubtedly played a part but from watching England you can tell they are drilled incredibly well and know their jobs and what lines to run. It is effective and they do it very well, but I think a well drilled defensive unit can shut them out and I don't think England have the players available to do something out of the ordinary, save possibly Tuilagi, and Foden when he plays.

I think that's always the default position to take regarding England whenever they do well or look decent and I'm not so sure it's often right (or rather more right than when talking about most other sides).

I'm interested to see how England develop because I do get the feeling that Lancaster wants them to do that rather than just get better at the things they're already doing pretty well.

Thought the stamp from the Irish chap was particularly malicious, and potentially career ending. But I suppose they all shook hands at the final whistle and had a few pints afterwards 'like proper men do', so it all turned out OK.

will still rightfully get a ban for it.

think Ireland still have a chance of the 6 nations but it does depend on England dropping points to france or wales, but looks like Zebo, Sexton be out for a while plus HEaly stupidity

Not many teams have players that create something from nothing. You can see the change in Scotland now they have Stuart Hogg, and if they play to his strengths they could be a decent team. It is those players that traditionally seperate the SH teams from the NH teams, as the big boys are just as well drilled and forward orientated as the NH teams, but have players that can take a risk and do something the opposition can't prepare for.

England have, until recently, struggled to replace Jason Robinson, who was one of those players.

What does impress me about England, though, is the quick ball from the breakdown. It is noticeable how much quicker that part of their game has become and it makes a huge difference, and importantly it puts defences on the back foot.

...I'd be surprised if France turn up when they're in such disarray...

But it'd be sodding typical of them to do that.

Why is that always the way? The one time you ever want them to win, or rather, the only time you'd prefer them not to lose, they go and let you down but when it comes to playing your team...

It's the same with football.

2 game ban for Healy. Absolute joke IMO. He'd clearly lost his head and was trying to injure a fellow professional. Cole's ankle could easily have been shattered by the stamp and I think the ban should've reflected how long he would've been out injured if it had. Calum Clark was banned for 32 weeks for what he did to the Leicester player. The only difference I can see between the two is that Clark succeeded in injuring his man.

TBH, if it was up to me, words removed like Healy, Clark and anybody else who intentionally tries to seriously injure a fellow professional, would be banned for life.

• Like 2

Why is that always the way? The one time you ever want them to win, or rather, the only time you'd prefer them not to lose, they go and let you down but when it comes to playing your team...

It's the same with football.

The reason is quite simple when you think about it. It's because they are bloody French.

Two week ban was about right for Healy, ref would have just sin binned him if he had seen it.  The ref should have binned Cole for bringing a driving maul down and then rolling on the wrong side to slow the ball down.  Healy was wrong but there has been a bit of a over reaction to it.

I very much doubt it was his intention to injury Dan Cole, it was a warning that if you slow the ball down by lying on the wrong side you will get rucked, a good openside should have stud marks all over his back every game.  It was the refs fault, he should of blown up and binned Dan Cole, who could of injured somebody by pulling a driving maul down.  Players get fustrated by playesr killing and slowing the ball down.

I'm struggling to believe you've seen the incident mate... Whatever the rights and wrongs of Cole's actions, the stamp was disproportionate punishment and was clearly an attempt to injure. Frustration is not an excuse for brutally stamping on someone's leg in a way that could easily break it.

I love rugby - playing and watching - but I hate this psuedo-macho bullshit that if someone breaks the rules then whatever happens to them is fair game.

Healy is an utter word removed, always has been, and has really got off extremely lightly here.

Seen it and just watched it again, nothing really in it.  Can't really understand why Dan Cole was not yellow carded, he was trying to drop the maul from the moment he entered it.  Three weeks was about right, at the lower end of the punishment.  Refs really need to be stronger on playes who are looking to kill or slow down the ball, would create a more positive game.

Nothing really in it?! I'm all for respecting everyone's opinions but I don't think I've ever thought anyone was more wrong! It's a vicious stamp on a relatively fragile part of the body and was clearly intended to cause injury. There's no place for anything like it in any sport.

But that's the thing. Healy didn't ruck him - he stamped on him. It could have ended Cole's career. If I recall correctly, on the BBC coverage, Keith Wood was the only one to play it down, and he back-tracked somewhat on the red button coverage after the game. There's no difference between what Healy did and what Calum Clark did to the Leicester front rower, apart from a 29-week difference in the length of their bans.

Calum Clark hyper extended the other players elbow it is completly different, hence why he got 29 weeks and Healy got 3 weeks.  Jerry Gusscot played it down this is what he said on the BBC website

Hi Tresamble/Tommo, neither myself nor Keith were attempting to justify the
stamping by Healy, merely saying what a fine line it can sometimes be - you
could easily interpret that as condoning it, but that is something I would never
knowingly do.

In slow motion the action is enhanced and looks a lot worse, when you watch
it in real time you could easily have missed it. Cole was guilty of bringing the
driving maul down and fell lazily on the wrong side, impeding scrum-half Conor
Murray as he tried to get the ball away.

Did Healy lose his head yes, did he mean to cause injury to Dan Cole, no.  Did Cole deserve a yellow yes.

Â