RBS Six Nations Rugby 2013

islingtonclaret

No more bullshit than any other regionalised tournament surely?

But it's hardly in the same region as Australia or New Zealand. It's further from both of those countries than it is from anywhere in Europe and it's in a massively different time zone too, another problem which doesn't exist when you include it with the European sides (as previously stated, South Africa is +1 on Paris time and +2 on London time) so it just seems like it makes less sense to be grouped where it is now than within Europe. 

I think you've lost the plot there Rev.

The whole northern/southern hemisphere thing, it's part of Rugby tradition. It might make more "sense" and I'm sure they could sort the logistics. But why would they? Why go through the stress?

Seven nations? Nah. It's not like they're an Italy that need the boost. Besides which, they'd win the damn thing every other year. Unlike the six we have (well, the four that are capable) they're consistent. I like the cyclical nature of the five/six nations.

In other words, sod off with your logic!

Well done Italy. There's an argument to be made that they're overtaking Scotland at the bottom. It has been coming for a while.

Climate?

Rugby union tends to be a winter sport.

How so?

The Northern Hemisphere leagues tend to play September-May seasons (England, Pro12) or August-June (France).

Super Rugby is a February-August competition (transposes to August-February in NH terms).

Hell, if you include the rugby derivatives, league was a winter sport (still is in Oz, IINM) pre-Super League and gridiron is well established in its September-December/January/February tradition in the US. The Canadians play a June-November schedule, but Canada is cold.

Broadening further, the global norm is for football of whatever code to be played around the winter solstice and not around the summer solstice; the exceptions are generally either due to having extremely cold winters (Canada, Scandinavia, MLS) or regionally minor codes that feel they'll get better media coverage by playing in the summer (Super League, arguably MLS, arguably A-League).

IIRC, there was some sense that Argentina (most of whose players play in Europe, at least for now) was more likely to be a Seventh Nation than a Fourth Nation.

Edited by leviramsey

DDID - I'm not sure it is a point for debate, Italy finished above Scotland last year and will do so again this year after today.

I'm not convinced yet. Yes Italy are clearly capable, but they could well lose their next 4 and I don't think anyone would be surprised.

Scotland have talent you know. When they actually got at England they looked dangerous and their defence held well for the most part. They came up against and England side in full flow. An England side who are far and away the best in this tournament and you can note that, put it in your signatures etc. There was no shame in getting smashed yesterday.

The French are well, the French. They're a constant disappointment.

On paper England should grand slam. But Rugby, much like football, isn't played on paper...

Italy are, in my humble opinion far more capable than Scotland, they were last year and they are this year. They have in my view at least better players and they haven't got the stigma of being, well a bit shit. The Italian's collective tails are up and have been for a while as with Scottish rugby is in a depression both at club and international level.

Scotland have some talent and plenty of grit but they lack an incisive fly half to really stand much of a chance of winning games.

As for your bold prediction that England are by far and away the best side in the tournament that is hardly a bold prediction given the performance against New Zealand or the results this weekend for England and France. I expect England to win the 6 Nations and a grand slam is a real possibility though perhaps unlikely.

I really do think Scotland meanwhile will finish bottom of the pile for the 2nd year running.

I pretty much agree with you TV. I was just offering an alternative I suppose. Whilst Italy have improved vastly over the years I wouldn't say that they're "there" yet.

You just know Zatman will be along any second to tell us England's form is temporary and that we're deluded, to be sure (wink).

Heh, just wait until you lot play the Kiwis again.

Why, what's changed?

Indeed DDID. More to the point what will it change? It won't change the fact that the last game against New Zealand saw England record their biggest ever victory against the All Blacks. 

Quite what relevance this has to the 6 Nations or the discussion about Italy and Scotland's relative strengths I don't know.

Suddenly I quite fancy a pint of Bitter, not quite sure what put it in my mind....

Ireland, England COULD be the championship decider already... Both teams have game breakers will be interesting see

Pretty much. Ireland have the advantage of playing both us and France at home, as well as already having beaten the Welsh. They've a good shout, but you have to worry about their pack. Couple of injuries there and they turn to mush. 

Rubbish prediction time.

I hope Italy get a win against Scotland as a win away from home will really show how far they have come. Scotland will be desperate for a win, though, and they do have talented players but poor discipline and not enough structure to their game. I'm not sure what to expect from this game, both teams could throw caution to the wind, or it could be attritional and gritty. I hope the former. I'll go for Italy to nick it...

It is a dangerous game predicting any game with France. They should win, they should batter everyone with the players available, but they are just... inexplicable. Wales too have a heap of great players but no confidence. I'll go for France, because it would be typical of them to go on and win the thing after a dodgy start.

England's record in Ireland isn't great but I think they have a better scrum and more energy in the backline. I think Ireland will give away too many penalties and England will keep the scoreboard ticking over. It could well be a comfortable win despite a spirited defensive effort from Ireland.

Â