Simon Dawkins

Kwan

How about this, he will play instead of Bannan.

So he is going to play in a midfield role just in front of the defenders?

Or are you just one of these folk jumping on the slag Bannan Bandwagon?

Or do you just not know where Bannan has been playing for Villa?

Edited by Craigy1874

What a complete waste of time this transfer window has been, he's brought in 2 young midfielders who are unproven and are probaly gonna be like the rest of our young team and crumble under the pressure, we've let warnock go and brought in no defenders!plus dunne has had another setback, even if these players turn out decent I still think were gonna struggle, if they turn out flops we are doomed for sure, where's the experience we are crying out for!!! Instead we get a young lad frm a 2nd div french team and some 19 year old I've never heard of....GREAT

Has anyone ever been to an MLS game some of those crowd shots of San Jose look quite lairy.

Shirts off, beers in hand, sunshine out, surging forward when they hit the goalsack.

looks like a right laugh!

Depends on where you area. Each region has their things. In Portland, they have a lumberjack that cuts a log whenever they score.

Strange places

Someone's contract running out in the summer means they don't rate him? Plenty of contracts run out. They rated him enough to have him on their books for the past 9 years. That's a long time to hold on to someone you don't rate. I don't know if he'll be any good here. Let's find out. Maybe the fact his contract is up in the summer means he'll absolutely bust a gut to get a contract here and help to keep us up in the process. I don't know. But what I do know is that there's no particular shame in having a contract run out after nearly a decade signed to the one club, whether loaned in the meantime or not.

He didn't have a 9 year contract with them. Hi was a youth teamer and then his first professional contract ran down and Spurs didn't renew. He was out of contract for a couple of years doing trials with clubs like Bournmouth and Celtic but no one took him on.

During that time he was still training with Spurs keeping his fitness up. They then offered him a new contract and loaned him out to the US league the next day. Again they haven't bothered renewing this contract.

I can't see him making many starts for us.

There must be some potential there, otherwise Spurs wouldn't have offered him his most recent contract.

Maybe those injuries have taken too long to recover from, and they felt that he was too injury prone to keep any longer?

Landon Donovan, an attacking midfielder equivalent last season made 26 appearances and scored 9 in the league.

Dawkins was on 27 appearances and scored 8 goals.

Many of us would have taken Landon Donovan and not written him off so easily. The way he got picked up by Spurs a second time suggests they did see something in him worth persevering with. Nobody knows until we see him play.

• Like 1

Why do people keep banging on about our defence ? It is our midfield - or lack of - that exposes our defence horribly. If we actually had a midfield then the defence will prove to be as good as anybody elses.

You can't keep blaming the defenders when our lightweight midfield allows numbers to crash our box such that we are outnumbered.

Sort the midfield out and the defence will have a decent chance to perform.

I think I know what you mean, and it is true to some extent. But we keep letting in goals at corners, and that isn't the midfield, at least directly. Both are a big problem.

They also picked up Bale and Modric.

Yeah, it was a bit of a facetious remark to be honest. My point was that you shouldn't judge a player to be good or otherwise because of who may or may not have signed them in the past. But it works both ways.

Someone's contract running out in the summer means they don't rate him? Plenty of contracts run out. They rated him enough to have him on their books for the past 9 years. That's a long time to hold on to someone you don't rate. I don't know if he'll be any good here. Let's find out. Maybe the fact his contract is up in the summer means he'll absolutely bust a gut to get a contract here and help to keep us up in the process. I don't know. But what I do know is that there's no particular shame in having a contract run out after nearly a decade signed to the one club, whether loaned in the meantime or not.

Didn't say there was any shame or questioned how hard he'll try for us.

Just said it looks like spurs don't rate him that highly.

Didn't say there was any shame or questioned how hard he'll try for us.

Just said it looks like spurs don't rate him that highly.

Also worth pointing out at this juncture we are absolutely nowhere **** near Spurs level. In case anyone had forgotten.

There's enough about his situation to intrigue me.

As for him being 25, he spent almost 4 years out injured.

In American sports they would call this low risk, high reward or a reclamation project. Anyone familiar with baseball for example will know of many such scenarios, Rick Ankiel jumps instantly to mind.

It's a part of the culture over there. They love an underdog, a story. It's something sadly lacking from football, certainly in England. Perhaps I'm more open to such things being a fan of American sports for as long as I can remember.

Also worth pointing out at this juncture we are absolutely nowhere **** near Spurs level. In case anyone had forgotten.

There's enough about his situation to intrigue me.

Again not disagreeing with that.

Just that him currently being a spurs player doesn't mean they rate him highly.

Â