Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

I hope he gets a move to a championship team like Wolves or someone like that. Would be a shame if he wastes his career at the bottom of the Turkish league or something like that. He's not a great player by any stretch but theres something I like about him. 

He was an all-round weird signing. At first it seemed like a kind of sick joke that he was all we signed that January. Then he came into the side, played creditably well and definitely had a role in keeping us up. Then the next season he looked like a park player, totally out of his depth, before we sent him on a totally dead-end loan to a small team in Turkey. 

In retrospect, it is a miracle that we stayed up in 2012/13, and without Wigan's cup run we never would have done. Compare him to Cleverley, who's playing in a roughly analogous position. What were we thinking?

I too thought he looked a player in the run in for 12/13 and expected him to be key for us next season but he then reverted back to the standard that meant he was playing mid table in ligue 2 which obviously isn't a great standard.

In a funny way though it has still been a good move as financially he'll be very comfortable from having a premier league salary for the last two years and I doubt too many ligue 1 clubs were showing an interest when he was at Clermont Foot. Being an international with Mali also helps and I doubt that would've happened without him playing premier league football.

Think you'd struggle to find any midfielder in England's top 5 leagues who had a worse range of passing / was worse on the ball than this lad.

That being said, he was physical, and I think he unintentionally galvanised the team when he first signed. I'll be sad to see him go to be honest

• 5 weeks later...
Get French Football ‏@GFN_France  8m8 minutes ago
BREAKING: Rennes announce the signing of Yacouba Sylla from Aston Villa until 2019. More to follow from the player exclusively with GFFN.

CIHX6pfXAAEgN24.jpg
  • Like 1

I thought we had unearthed a bit of a diamond tbh. The Stoke game he was great in, and then the Sunderland 6-1 he was phenomenal. Benteke might have grabbed the hat-trick and Vlaar banged in from 30 yards and Lowton rampaging down the wing like a '99 Beckham....but none of that would have been possible without Sylla. His workrate and inteliigence covering both full backs was excellent.

...then he turned into a pub player overnight.

Rennes is a good move, and a decent club..so hopefully we got a mill for him.

Nice move for him, remember we plucked him from bottom half of ligue 2. Just shows what happens when you're associated with a premier league club.

I too thought he looked a player end of 12/13, he was excellent home to Chelsea near the end of the season but like so many it was a false dawn and he never kicked on the next season.

HIs main problem was nobody ever knew what his position was, when he signed people assumed he was going to be Makelele type player but he was always played in a right side of midfield 3 

Â