Paul Lambert

Pilchard

FWIW I agree with Lambo in his press conference. I'm still seeing progress being made from last season. Are the unhappy few simply expecting to much too soon?

Too much too soon?

This will be our 4th consecutive season of struggle. When has that ever happened in the last 35 - 40 years? Why have we as a fan base become so passive and accept such crap when we have never done before? Lerner must have released some kind of brainwashing drugs to the masses at Villa Park while no one was looking.

I've never known Villa fans to be so apathetic as this. We used to demand a certain standard at Villa but now we sit back and accept the scraps Lerner throws at us like nodding dogs. Grow a pair for f#ck sake and show some passion in the club!

Well said.

In the 14 premiership years before Lerner we finished outside the top 8 5 times. We're now probably going to do that for the 4th time in a row.

Why is it so acceptable now? It's ridiculous.

Before Lerner there was no Chelsea (well after 2003) no Manchester City, Arsenal did not have a 60,000 stadium, and Spurs were poorly run. Add to the mix of Manchester United until this season being the top side and Liverpool now with owners prepared to spend huge amounts (and expand Anfield) we have gone down the pecking order. We are not a superclub with huge support, we have a owner now who wants to be more modest on spending, and the football clubs in London are reflecting the economic advantage of being based in the capital. I think we just have to accept it, its modern football.

The original sky 4 always had more money and we're able to attract better players. There's always been better and bigger teams than us but now for some reason fans like yourself are happy to accept mediocrity.

I'd love to believe that the club know what they're doing, but unfortunately there's too much evidence that they don't.  And I think that Lambert is another limited, British manager very much in the style of O'Neill.  I'd much rather have a Rodgers/Martinez/Laudrup type who try to play proper football.  The fact that Lambert seemingly HAD to buy a donkey like Kozak as back up for Benteke shows what his approach to the game is going to be.

I posted something similar a few pages back. I'm not seeing any progression in the style of football especially at home when the opposition concedes territory and time on the ball. I'd much prefer to have a British manager but it looks inevitable that a more continental-minded manager is the way forward. 

People moan about how much money he had to spend, but then in a squad that had Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Bent and Helenius, he chose to spend £7m on Kozak.  He could have thought about playing any of those other players in a different formation, something zany and off the wall like a 4-4-2 perhaps, but obviously couldn't comprehend anything other than a big target man up front.

• Like 1

The original sky 4 always had more money and we're able to attract better players. There's always been better and bigger teams than us but now for some reason fans like yourself are happy to accept mediocrity.

If only we were all like you BJ I'm sure Villa would be Champions of Europe

• Like 1

It actually does matter 'how long we're prepared to wait' to the fan base though VillaCas. There has to come a point where acceptance of patience is replaced by expectancy. I tend to think that is part of the problem why we have underachieved for so long due to the continual apathy of our fan base. We in general are less demanding than we should be and believe the rhetoric coming from the club that it's a five year plan or we're in another rebuilding process more in hope than actual belief that this club is going to turn the corner.

Oh so now it's all the fans who don't agree with you's fault......I see how this works.

Lerner f*cked up with O'Neill, Houllier and McLeish - I think Lambert is our best chance to make a recovery, so I choose to get behind him. If I see that he's not making progress I won't be as vocal in my support. If I see him making a complete balls up of it, I would want him replaced.

If you think that your constant sniping and negativity is helping the club in the long term, thats your perogative - I would have thought though that if you truly want to agitate for major change then you might look for a more effective platform than sarky comments on a web forum

Do you actually believe that our current squad after the period of development you speak off is going to be good enough for top six? NO - nowhere near good enough - in fact we could spend another 50m in the next window and would still not be good enough for the top six. If you do then fair play but i feel the current crop may have hit their ceiling of ability already and what we see now is what we'll get for the foreseeable future until they are replaced which leads me to your second question.

Lets throw Barry and Milner into the equation with the players you have already chosen (Yorke and Young). Why did Barry stay for an extra season. He wanted to see if we could qualify for the CL and probably looked beyond that to see the ambition of the club. I thought it was because we refused to sell him to Liverpool? Players at any club although they will always deny it in public, will be aware of how the club is going to be run in the present and in the future and i'm in no doubt that both Barry and Milner and indeed Yorke and Young left our club on the basis of a lack of ambition. They knew they weren't going to win any trophies with us or be a member of a team that was going to compete for a sustained period of success and unfortunately they have been proven right! We're not a top six side and unless we have different owner I don't see us being one anytime soon, in which case we are always going to lose players to bigger clubs. Newcastle couldnt stop Ba going to Chelsea, Everton despite finishing 7th still couldnt hang on to Fellani and soon Baines. We are not going to be a top six side in the foreseeable future but that is not down to Lambert

The way to get around that is to show ambition by buying the right players. Player's who your better players at the club will want to stay and play with because they will know the club is showing ambition by bringing quality to the club and will at least be able to challenge within the top six and of course you will have to pay wages in line with the quality you sign. I've seen many posters coming back with but we've already tried that with MON and it didn't work. It didn't work due to spunking millions on the wrong players who spent their time on the bench and that choice of player was down to the manager and not the actual method or policy used! I repeat, we are not going to be challenging in the top six anytime soon, thats not down to Lambert

Your last point concerning being in a cycle is one i have already agreed with but you can break out of that cycle by investing well in the right type of players at both ends of the spectrum (youth & experience) rather than just one as Everton have already proven to create the right type of balance in your team.

Of course you need an astute manager and a chairman who will back that astute manager when the right players become available to build that balance. Currently we may or may not have the right manager as for me he has gone too far in one direction and not enough in the other for whatever the reason, but at the moment i don't think i'm alone in thinking that we certainly don't have the right chairman. I'm much closer to your way of thinking regarding Lerner than I am regarding Lambert. My personal view is that Lambert has done well with the limitations imposed on him - I think that the current squad is a staging post for better players to arrive over the next couple of seasons.

I have been following the Villa for 43 years, I have seen the good times and the bad too, yes we have had the occasional high and good run but in all this time it has never been sustained, Deadly Doug was called this for a reason, we have had numerous managers and players but always have been a club with an ambition but not the nouse to see it through. The reason I am optomistic now is because we have now decided to change tack, to break the constant cycle we have and try a new approach, we may end up with egg on our faces or we may end up achieving great things. I am undecided at the present which way it will go, I have seen 43 years of the old way and it did not work, this way we have only had just over a year, It is still under development and should be given time, how long? god knows but certainly another season, obviously if we again end up fighting relegation and the football goes pear shaped then we may need to look again at our methods and manager. At the moment though there are signs this will not be the case so yes we should have patience and back the team. No one said it would be a quick fix but would be long term we see results.

While we are also talking of keeping players should we not remember that once a player decides he wants out for wat ever reason financial gain or career development then he will be allowed to go bearing the odd exception, Yes Barry stayed another year, this was not down to the player but us playing hardball over the fee, I have seen many players go, Rioch, Walters, Platt, Young, Milner, etc it is a fact of football and will always be this way, even the mighty Liverpool could not hold onto Owen.

The short sightedness on these forums is shocking at times.

Rome wasn't built in a day folks.

I'm not sure how long Lambert will be here for but I'd like to think it's for a long enough time to really have a good go at it.

The club has changed how it's being run, as said before we cannot compete with some clubs for cash, if we kept going the way we were it could have ended in turmoil.

I welcome this new approach and while it may not be successful, at least its breaking the cycle of spunking tons of cash on mediocre players.

Writing off new signings at this point is quite frankly, batshit.

The club is clearly making an effort with the fans, championing safe standing and price agreements with other clubs.

The short sightedness on these forums is shocking at times.

Rome wasn't built in a day folks.

I'm not sure how long Lambert will be here for but I'd like to think it's for a long enough time to really have a good go at it.

The club has changed how it's being run, as said before we cannot compete with some clubs for cash, if we kept going the way we were it could have ended in turmoil.

I welcome this new approach and while it may not be successful, at least its breaking the cycle of spunking tons of cash on mediocre players.

Writing off new signings at this point is quite frankly, batshit.

The club is clearly making an effort with the fans, championing safe standing and price agreements with other clubs.

I wouldn't have a problem with what Lambert was doing if we were showing progress, but were not.

We've stopped scoring goals.

Our style of play has regressed massively from the end of last season. It is now more reminiscent of a Mcleish team.

Star players of last season have been poor this season and don't look like they're going to improve any time soon.

Rome was built with the aid of limitless funds.

What Lerner and Lambert are building is closer to modern day Detroit. Still takes time thou, so be patient 

Detroit has gone bankrupt.

Yeah, so were getting there, we just have to be patient...

A few key points today-

3 centre back's against NO West Ham striker.

Only 1 enforced substitution, made no effort to the win the game by changing it up.

The football served up by us today was nothing short of appalling. To have less possession than West Ham is nothing short of abysmal.

Lambert has got until the new year till prove himself.