Rating and Reactions: Villa - Newcastle

limpid

Lambert cost us the game in my opinion. Fair play to him for correcting things in the 2nd half and sending them out motivated. All too late, unfortunatly. There were times in the first half when their fullbacks moved forward where Bannan and Westwood was up against 5 man by themselves. There was no contest by default.

Weimann and Gabby made a positive difference.

I'll rather see a back line of Baker-Clark-Vlaar-Lowton from now on. At least they know their duties in a 442-formation, and Baker can kicks the shit out people when he tackles.

Still scratching my head as to y lambo doesn't play 442 we beat Ipswich and drew with Swansea at 442 then he changed it again and we aweful. Go back to 442 and batter em second half so what's the betting he goes 5-3-2 again v Everton and give it the old "we go again" bollox. It's getting boring now!

On the whole, not good enough. That we took it to them for most of the second half and nearly scraped a point from it means nothing. We just handed Newcastle their first away win of the season. We have allowed the most goals of any club, and scored the second fewest of any club. 

We are possibly the worst team in the division.

If Lerner and Lambert don't bring in a defensive midfielder to strengthen the side, we will go down.

• Like 2

Played too narrow again in the first half - once Gabby and Andi were on we suddenly had width and the midfield/full backs had easy out balls and looked like they were half decent players. 

Lambert has to smell the bacon and play the rest of the season 4-4-2 and WITH WIDTH !

Never have rated Bent but, ironically, we could have done with him in the second half because he'd have been onto some of those low crosses  !

Edited by Paul33

Not sure why everyone saying we played 442 second half. We played 4231.

Honestly if lambert stays in charge we are down, simples. Tactically he is clueless. Why the **** would you play 3 central defenders first half when they only had one centre forward?? I hate sacking the manager in times like this but he has got to go.

• Like 1

Our team don't need to prove anything to us! I didn't support Villa because they proved they were a great club, they just are in my eyes! That won't change not matter how the team plays, good or bad.  I will always get behind the team, because otherwise there is no point in calling myself a supporter.  If you will only support Villa when we play well they what kind of fan are you? Get behind the team and quit your bitching as right now it only harms the club. This is the time the players need our backing the most, so what are you gonna do?

omg they have our support whole season and they did not deliver. do you even know that you are also a customer, not only the fan, and you pay a big price for tickets??? where are deliverables? this is business for randy and it should be the business for fans too. if there is no end product of sufficient quality, the fan should and have to complain about it.

players, manager and the whole team need to deliver, if not, there will not be a support. patience is gone, or are you happy to watch loses again and again at home?

Lambert got it so utterly wrong in the first half. People will criticise our CM (well, only Bannan of course) but what the hell chance do they have when we line up in way where we're 1-2 men down to our opponents in that part of the pitch? 3 CBs on one striker is 1 player wasted. and Bent is another player wasted when we can't get any support to him. So they had Sissoko, Cabaye, Perch, Gutierrez, Gouffran, plus Santon/Debuchy could push forward at will - and up against them we had Bannan & Westwood and our 2 wing backs, with N'Zogbia helping out sometimes. 7 against 5. Ridiculous system which gave us no chance.

I generally defend Lambert but this and the nonsense in 2nd half against Bradford make me seriously question what he is thinking tactically.

One thing I don't understand...apart from the obvious 'why is Bannan still playing' is why, when the tactic of pumping the ball to the far post for the knock down didn't work, did we carry on doing it?!

Also Bannan is killing us, persevering with is going to kill his confidence and lose us the ball. He had plenty of time when Zoggy's shot came off the post, but he just ballooned it over the bar...come on Barry, I think you are shit, prove me wrong!!!!

Edited by AVFCAM

We'd do a lot better if we'd played that formation in the second half, this season.

Think it is too late now though. 

Only one person responsible for tonight, and it was Lambert's horrendous tactical judgement in the first half.

The second half only showed him up for what we should have been doing all season, play with WIDTH!!

Not sure why everyone saying we played 442 second half. We played 4231.

Honestly if lambert stays in charge we are down, simples. Tactically he is clueless. Why the **** would you play 3 central defenders first half when they only had one centre forward?? I hate sacking the manager in times like this but he has got to go.

the difference between these two formation is just a slightly changed position of one player and if you are playing 4-4-2 with etc. van persie + rooney combo, when they are playing vertically behind themselves, it is the same as 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 as wingers still have defensive duties. of course, 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 are completely different to 4 backs formations. it is widely adviced if your fullbacks are poor, or playing without confidence, to play wingers with defensive duties to cover them. both andi and gabby have enough energy to cover, so it was correct decision to switch and play with width esp. when we have benteke beast of air in the team.

personaly, i would pump the crosses all the time during game from wingers and deep crosses from fullbacks too in every opportunity.

One thing I don't understand...apart from the obvious 'why is Bannan still playing' is why, when the tactic of pumping the ball to the far post for the knock down didn't work, did we carry on doing it?!

Also Bannan is killing us, persevering with is going to kill his confidence and lose us the ball. He had plenty of time when Zoggy's shot came off the post, but he just ballooned it over the bar...come on Barry, I think you are shit, prove me wrong!!!!

i do rate pumping the ball but from wingers position, or from the deep by fullbacks, always in, or outswingers. i hate these blind kicks forward from every position as the knock down is very difficult and effective mostly only with counterattacks, which was not the case tonight. benteke should be knocking the ball down from air flicks only when we are counterattacking, every other time it should be a header on goal. again, not the case tonight, sadly.

No positives to take from that.

The performance we got in the 2nd half is what we should have had in the first. Why did it take 45 minutes and a 2 goal deficit for Lambert to get them playing that way?

You may question the quality of the squad all you want - the fact is that it was simply not good enough from Lambert.

Â