Daniel Crowley

sir_gary_cahill

• 3 years later...

Having seen the praise being heaped on the England U17s in their World Cup semi against Brazil (having just won 3-1 - Crowley himself is much too old for them now though, of course), it made me wonder what became of this kid. I remember some greivance at the cirumstances of his departure from us, and the little of him I did see in the Next Gen and afterwards at Arsenal, he did show some class. Well, I looked him up, and he signed a 3 year contract with Willem II in Holland at the still reletively young age of 19. He's now 20, and Willem II are just above the relegation zone at time of writing. I haven't gone to the lengths of finding out any recent match reports. Perhaps there is still time for him to come good?

8 minutes ago, hogso said:

Having seen the praise being heaped on the England U17s in their World Cup semi against Brazil (having just won 3-1 - Crowley himself is much too old for them now though, of course), it made me wonder what became of this kid. I remember some greivance at the cirumstances of his departure from us, and the little of him I did see in the Next Gen and afterwards at Arsenal, he did show some class. Well, I looked him up, and he signed a 3 year contract with Willem II in Holland at the still reletively young age of 19. He's now 20, and Willem II are just above the relegation zone at time of writing. I haven't gone to the lengths of finding out any recent match reports. Perhaps there is still time for him to come good?

File him next to Harry Forrester. Talent without working hard is nothing and all that jazz.

6 hours ago, hogso said:

Arsenal sent him on loan to Oxford and Barnsley past two seasons. Both send him back early. Didn't play much and poor attitude by all accounts. Don't think we've missed out too much.

On 10/25/2017 at 20:45, VillaChris said:

Both send him back early. Didn't play much and poor attitude by all accounts. Don't think we've missed out too much.

It's amazing how many careers are lost because of this. The kids coming through just aren't hungry enough and think they're superstars before they've kicked a ball in anger.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's amazing how many careers are lost because of this. The kids coming through just aren't hungry enough and think they're superstars before they've kicked a ball in anger.

They are. I bet when Arsenal stole him from us he became a millionaire overnight. They always pay good money to poach youngsters from all over.

On a side note I saw that kid who scored against Norwich in the cup this week. I expected wild celebrations and pure joy. What I saw was some kid strutting around and posing like he is already a WC winner. Jog on mate.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 19:54, villa89 said:

exactly. You look at our very own Andre Green. His attitude off the field looks amazing. Shame not many others like him.. Better players have done less than he has already achieved in his young career. 

On 10/27/2017 at 12:38, rodders0223 said:

On a side note I saw that kid who scored against Norwich in the cup this week. I expected wild celebrations and pure joy. What I saw was some kid strutting around and posing like he is already a WC winner. Jog on mate.

6157012_eddienketiah_jpegf87118a80548168

• 10 months later...

HE has had the Three Lions on his shirt as well as the shamrock.

But former Arsenal midfielder Dan Crowley, who is now enjoying a renaissance of his career in Holland after a period of stagnation, has given his commitment to Ireland and insists he’s keen to play for the Boys in Green.

As we know from high-profile cases like Jack Grealish and Declan Rice, international allegiance is not set in stone. Coventry native Crowley, who has Irish grandparents, is an example of that as he switched between Ireland and England at underage level, more than once.

In March 2013 he played for England’s U17s in the Euro qualifiers, just weeks after he played in Croatia for Ireland’s U17 team in a friendly game.

His last taste of international football was in November 2015, with England’s U19s but Crowley, now in his second season with Dutch side Willem II, is keen to revive his Ireland career, if Martin O’Neill is interested.

“I have played for England and Ireland but my preference is to play for Ireland. I want to play for Ireland,” Crowley told The Herald.

Crowley says he has matured since then. “Looking back now I was mentally too young in those loan spells I had,” he reflects.

“It was nothing to do with my ability, and it was not to do with off-field stuff, you’d never see me out drinking or messing around or getting into trouble, but I thought I knew best. I’d speak my mind, I’d say what I think and looking back now I didn’t pick the right moment to speak.”

In 2017, Crowley felt he’d run into a wall of sorts and decided to leave England, joining Willem II on a three-year deal, but last season did not go to plan and he was sent out on loan to a second-tier side.

This season he’s back in the fold, is in the team and doing well as Willem II are seventh in the Dutch league, with Crowley earning a nice reputation for his assists.

“Coming to Holland was good for me and my career, I think I was too immature when I was on loan in England, you live and you learn,” he says. “I had played U23s football since I was 15 at Aston Villa and I was still playing U23 football at 18, you need to progress and get first team experience, play real football.

“We get good crowds here, and I like playing in front of them, I flourish from playing in front of a big crowd. When I played U23s football in England you have 50 people at the match so it’s nice to play in front of 11,000 at our home games. I am under contract here at Willem II until 2020 and I am enjoying it. I do want to come back to England at some stage, that was always the plan, but I am happy here.”

Happy with life in his adopted home of Tilburg, Crowley has been written off by some as he was unable to make it at Arsenal but he’s keen to show there is more to come. 

“People forget sometimes that I am still young, I have just turned 21, so many players have different career paths, people think if you are not playing in the Premier League at 21 that’s it, you have failed but I look at people like Harry Kane, who had all those spells on loan, who had time on the bench, he’s finally had a chance and he has taken it. And I know when I get my chance at the top, I will take it,” he says.

And a chance also means international football. With Ireland. “My grandparents are from Waterford and Cork, I have been over to Ireland a lot over the years, I used to go over every summer as a kid and I played Gaelic football in the Féile when I was over, usually in Waterford, they were the best times of my life, playing Gaelic over in Ireland,” he says

“Yes, I played underage for Ireland and England but you can’t make a decision when you are that young without testing the waters and seeing what it’s like.

“The good thing is that I was very young so there was no pressure on me, I just wanted to see where I’d be happiest, where I’d enjoy it the most so I had a spell in both camps. It’s a long time since I was involved with Ireland (2013). I really enjoyed those Irish camps, it was a good bunch of lads.

“Graham Burke (below) was at Villa with me, I see he has gone on to play for the Ireland senior team and only a while back he was in League One, it happened for Graham with Ireland and if I can keep playing well for Willem II it can happen for me,” added Crowley, who insists he’s not involved in a bidding war between the rival nations.

“I’m not holding out for England, if I am asked to play for Ireland I will. I know there’s a process I’d have to go through in terms of the paperwork but that’s not a problem. I am a creative player, I like to make things happen and I’d love to do that with the Irish team.”

Probably has a chance considering the current pool of "talent"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Probably has a chance considering the current pool of "talent"

I'd say so.  He did have a very rocky start to his career as he freely admits.  Whistle-stop tours of club academies and international under-age football doesn't tend to bode well for a footballer's general attitude, but if he's first choice in the Eredivisie now, maybe he has matured away from the spotlight of what was quite a heralded youngster at the time.  Villa fans were mighty pissed off when he jumped ship back in the day.  It's a bit surprising to learn he's only 21.  He still has loads of time left.

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I want to play for Ireland (cos there's no chance of getting into England's team).

Pretty much.  It's why the granny rules needs to be scrapped IMHO.

52 minutes ago, BOF said:

Pretty much.  It's why the granny rules needs to be scrapped IMHO.

Granny rule is OK but if you have committed to a country that should be it. Jack and Rice have played under 21 for Ireland and McClean and Shane Duffy has played for Northern Ireland 

should be no going back after that

Â