Fig Rolls

Craigy1874

Got a sweet tooth, but prefer ginger savoury tbh.

Lemon puffs are odd. Not knowing their origin, you'd have to hope the original non manufactured item would be somewhat more inspiring.

Now on the lookout for an artisan lemon puff, anyone got Mary Berry's number?

If they are anything like Fig Newtons, then yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

The modern fig roll is just the British copy of the Fig Newton (or at least that's wiki's implication):

The modern fig roll and its mass popularity can be traced to the development of industrial production by American Charles Roser in 1892, now marketed by Nabisco as the Fig Newton.

Until the late 19th century, many physicians believed that most illnesses were related to digestion problems, and therefore recommended a daily intake of biscuits and fruit. Although an ideal solution for this problem, until this time fig rolls were still a locally made and hand-produced product.

The mass production of the fig roll was created in 1891 by Philadelphia baker and fig lover Charles Roser, who, in 1892, was awarded a patent for a machine which inserted fig creme into a cake-like dough: classical fig rolls are encased in a more pastry-like covering, creating a chewy experience. Naming his product “Newtons” after the local town of Newton, Massachusetts, he approached the Cambridgeport, Massachusetts based Kennedy Biscuit Company, who agreed to take on production and sales.

Kennedy Biscuit Company had recently become associated with the New York Biscuit Company, and after merger to form Nabisco, trade marked the product as the Fig Newton.

Having lived part of my youth in Newton (Centre and Corner), the minor holiday of Fig Newton Day is still celebrated every January.

Fig rolls are very satisfying to bite into and chew, but tastewise they are far from the best biscuit.

I am a massive biscuit fan. Not an expert. Just a very big fan

Two pieces of soggy cardboard, wrapped around a load of squashed flies. No thanks.

Fruit is OK in a cake, but should never be allowed anywhere near a biscuit.

What about my long lost love, the Chocolate Orange Hobnob?

What about my long lost love, the Chocolate Orange Hobnob?

Orange (or lemon) flavouring is an honourable exception. I was talking about currants, raisins, that sort of shit.

We had some shortbreads at Christmas that had fruit in them, masquerading as choc chips. Bummer.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Chocolate orange is lovely in any form. I think Mike means actual pieces of fruit. Squashed flies was a good comparison.

Yep, see above.

Incidentally, my missus makes a fantastic chocolate orange cake.

I can almost forgive her leaving the radio on for that (see the Piss You Off thread).

But, but but...

Cheapy Tescos Fruit Shortcakes, surely you can't disagree with them?

702937.jpg

Yuk. Would only eat them in desperation when all other biscuits had gone.

Â