Boycott matches.

JackAVFC1993

People were calling for boycotts and protests when we were up finishing 6th, getting to cup finals and venturing (albeit briefly) into Europe. Then we have the nerve to sing "Shit support M'Lord!"

Really!

To be honest it's absolute turd at the moment. Never felt like this watching Villa, maybe because we have always been at least half decent in my time (mostly).

Now we are just rubbish, although going down into the Championship will not determine whether I have a season ticket next year again (although more than likely I will anyway), it will be if the man who is going to take us down is still here I think. How sad it is that I've already accepted relegation, with 15 games to go. I'll still support the team, cheer them on, but I honestly can't see anything but going down with a wimper. The belief and the life (when talking about AVFC) has been completely sucked out of me.

Boycotting the games is a waste of time . Loads have been doing it the last couple of years and it will steadily increase if the situation stays the same but it's had no effect on the football as it has stayed shit. I suggest getting rid of 'shit support M'lord' and start singing the lords prayer instead- with hands together of course. Any thoughts?

Instead of a boycott could we do a "we need a DM" movement? Change all those banners at games that have said "Mcleish out, O'leary out..." To we need a defensive midfielder.

Instead of a group singing "the bells are ringing" how about "we need a DM".

Activism always seems to work best when specifically targeted and though we all know there are many positions needed we mostly agree a defensive midfielder is the most vital. At this point loan,buy or whatever it needs to happen.

Where is Lerner in the USA these days? Can we get USA villa fans camped outside his gates? Worked for the united fans and Rooney.

New thread? The DM movement?

It's an interesting quandary that isn't it... On the one hand there is the 'blind love' support where people will continue to pump 450+ quid for a season ticket come what may and who may or may not have anything other than football in their life - they will always be part of the furniture. On the other hand, this is the 21st Century, football competes with a lot more leisure pursuit finances than 40 years ago (my perception anyway) - which makes us customers and consumers.

I've had a spiralling downward and receding interest in football generally since the 2010 World Cup and find it harder and harder to motivate myself to exercise my season ticket spending each year - more and more I become disappointed with a feeling that I am not getting value for money, and certainly not enjoying it. I've been a Villa fan as long as I remember, and I have experienced great joy, and the horrors of relegation - but it never felt quite like it does now...

I have never felt so humiliated to be associated with the Club - never felt such a prolonged and consistent misery, even back in 86-87. Never been as bad as this.

I believe there is serious damage being done to the 'fathful' by all this, and I understand fully why people may throw in the towel. Quite simply, it ain't cheap. And football competes with so many other things now. We're having the stuffing knocked out of us.

I don't want to feel miserable week in week out - had enough of that last season, and I threw in the towel and boycotted after the Swansea capitulation through to McLeish's sacking, renewing my ticket as soon as he left the club. I've tried it again this season, and after another 450+ quid and a steady stream of humiliations and humblings, find myself quesitioning why I go... Why do I spend so much money on something that makes me miserable? So, since Eck was appointed, that the best part of 900 quid down the drain on feeling like shite... For that kind of money, a customer should experience some sort of entertainment. There are no guaratees in football, I know that. The win rate at Villa Park however over the last 24 months has been ridiculous... and how many games have been truly enjoyable? I'd be struggling to name 5 if the truth be known. And in that 5, I would put the 3-2 defeat to United in there as 'enjoyable' as it was an entertaining game, even if the final result was predictable and frustrating.

Everyone is different - but your point is correct, will they come back? My decline has been since the World Cup, so it's not just Villa - it's football as a whole. I used to watch ANY football that was shown on the tele - I was mad for it. I just can't be arsed with it any more... No interest even in the Champions League unless there's a British team in the final these days. I certainly can't be bothered with England friendlies and qualifying games... Same old, every time with them.

I'm a family man and I have other hobbies/interests to fork out for. Stuff that generally makes me happy. Even if we stay up, I can't see me renewing next time - it's too much of a financial risk for so much money on something likely to make me so mad. Something that makes me punch walls... verbally abuse match officials... It's not a nice state to be in... And it happens so much more frequently these days... I'd rather go on a cruise or something. I really would be freeing myself of the habit of just turning up... And further, I might even find that I don't miss it... I didn't miss it one bit from Swansea at home to Norwich away last season. I felt relieved actually.

Sure, I'll always be a Villa fan - but I would have freed myself from the whole match day grind and my daughter (bless her) would get extra time from me at home. Stuff that's important...

I might buy a shirt, I might not. I have said it before in another thread - the Club does **** all for me and wouldn't do jack shit if I was destitute outside New Street Station wearing my Villa shirt. Just like I am a consumer, Villa are a business and seek any which way to get money out of me - even sending me an email after the Bradford 2nd leg thanking me for my support on one hand, then asking for money on the other by reminding just how many more key home games there are to go in this season. Well Villa - you've already had my money, so tough tits.

I don't think I'd be back to be fair... But I certainly wouldn't look down my nose at anyone that did... You pay your money, go when you want, stay away when you want. Live your own life as you're a long time dead - certainly life is too short to be miserable every week in the wind, rain and cold watching the club die on it's arse.

Really good post mate which pretty much sums up my thoughts. My son and I have had season tickets for 9 years now and were in the family enclosure for many games in the season before that. I was pretty much a 'lapsed' fan prior to that with young children, wife, demanding job, little money to spare - the usual stuff. I started taking my son as he was, at 6 years old, developing an unhealthy interest in Man U which had to be nipped in the bud.

He used to love it but the last couple of seasons he has not enjoyed his trips to VP so much so a couple of season ago I started buying two adult tickets instead on the basis I could take a mate. He has become utterly cynical and negative about Villa. He simply expects to see poor football and Villa lose. Granted he still supports them but for him the magic has gone for the moment (well I hope its only the moment). It does beg the question how many younger fans out there feel the same?

I won't be boycotting games but if I don't feel like going I won't. Given the freezing cold weather and our pitiful home form will I bother with the Newcastle game? Not sure at the moment. It does not make me any less of a fan but I totally fail to see the point of subjecting yourself to something that you really don't enjoy anymore. I feel completely let down by the owner for his shambolic stewardship of the club, by Lambert for not seemingly being the manager we thought and by many of the players for their spineless capitulation and failure to even do the basics properly.

I love the club dearly but they are driving away too many fans like myself. I will probably get shouted down for not being a proper fan or words to that effect but when you sit in your seat at VP and listen to the people around you screaming at the players and verbally abusing them I would pose two questions. Are they really enjoying themselves? And is that really helping the players?

Edited by Harry

If you are happy paying £35 to watch the team then go. If you aren't then don't.

Me? I'm not happy at paying that to watch a game I know we'll lose and have no intention of improving. It's not a boycott, just economic sense.

I wouldn't pay £35 to go and watch a band I thought couldn't play their instruments properly.

No matter if you go to every game or not no one is any more of a supporter than the other. I've had a season ticket for 11 years and in all honesty whatever happen's I'll probably get one next season but then if I had a family and more bill's to pay I'd have to rethink it. For me though football is a good distraction from all the other shit in life, for 90 minute's every week whether good or bad my mind is totally on the villa.

I'll admit though I have lost a lot of interest in other football. I rarely watch any game not involving villa and that include's international's ( barring a final ). 

I'll never boycott a villa match whilst I've still got the (spare) money to spend on it though, unless it was something really drastic. 

Ive decided that while shitbert is still manager I will not go to another match. Is anyone doing the same and just had enough of what he has made this club into.... A JOKE. For people saying oh but the players need our backings. That is bullshit they dont care about us as is modern football and the fans are the ones bankrolling their lifestyles with these ripoff ticket prices and what do they do for us? **** ALL.

LAMBERT OUT LAMBERT OUT LAMBERT OUT

Lets hope no one else takes a leaf out of your book!!

Â