Boycott matches.

JackAVFC1993

It probably made no difference, but after all the people moaning and swearing around me had left, it felt like we started to play better and Wiemann got our 2nd.

Like I say, it probably made no difference at all. But I'd rather be in a stadium of 25,000 people supporting the team, than 30,000 people including fans who just insult the players and manager for the full 90 minutes.

There were moments last night when a guy behind me just slagged off every single Villa player that touched the ball. "Get him off! He's shit!"... "Get this guy off too! He's useless!"... "It's too late now Lambert you pratt! You should have taken him off ages ago!"

I was relieved when him and his idiotic mate left at 80 minutes.

Ive decided that while shitbert is still manager I will not go to another match. Is anyone doing the same and just had enough of what he has made this club into.... A JOKE. For people saying oh but the players need our backings. That is bullshit they dont care about us as is modern football and the fans are the ones bankrolling their lifestyles with these ripoff ticket prices and what do they do for us? **** ALL.

LAMBERT OUT LAMBERT OUT LAMBERT OUT

Cheerio then!

It's an interesting quandary that isn't it... On the one hand there is the 'blind love' support where people will continue to pump 450+ quid for a season ticket come what may and who may or may not have anything other than football in their life - they will always be part of the furniture. On the other hand, this is the 21st Century, football competes with a lot more leisure pursuit finances than 40 years ago (my perception anyway) - which makes us customers and consumers.

I've had a spiralling downward and receding interest in football generally since the 2010 World Cup and find it harder and harder to motivate myself to exercise my season ticket spending each year - more and more I become disappointed with a feeling that I am not getting value for money, and certainly not enjoying it. I've been a Villa fan as long as I remember, and I have experienced great joy, and the horrors of relegation - but it never felt quite like it does now...

I have never felt so humiliated to be associated with the Club - never felt such a prolonged and consistent misery, even back in 86-87. Never been as bad as this.

I believe there is serious damage being done to the 'fathful' by all this, and I understand fully why people may throw in the towel. Quite simply, it ain't cheap. And football competes with so many other things now. We're having the stuffing knocked out of us.

I don't want to feel miserable week in week out - had enough of that last season, and I threw in the towel and boycotted after the Swansea capitulation through to McLeish's sacking, renewing my ticket as soon as he left the club. I've tried it again this season, and after another 450+ quid and a steady stream of humiliations and humblings, find myself quesitioning why I go... Why do I spend so much money on something that makes me miserable? So, since Eck was appointed, that the best part of 900 quid down the drain on feeling like shite... For that kind of money, a customer should experience some sort of entertainment. There are no guaratees in football, I know that. The win rate at Villa Park however over the last 24 months has been ridiculous... and how many games have been truly enjoyable? I'd be struggling to name 5 if the truth be known. And in that 5, I would put the 3-2 defeat to United in there as 'enjoyable' as it was an entertaining game, even if the final result was predictable and frustrating.

Everyone is different - but your point is correct, will they come back? My decline has been since the World Cup, so it's not just Villa - it's football as a whole. I used to watch ANY football that was shown on the tele - I was mad for it. I just can't be arsed with it any more... No interest even in the Champions League unless there's a British team in the final these days. I certainly can't be bothered with England friendlies and qualifying games... Same old, every time with them.

I'm a family man and I have other hobbies/interests to fork out for. Stuff that generally makes me happy. Even if we stay up, I can't see me renewing next time - it's too much of a financial risk for so much money on something likely to make me so mad. Something that makes me punch walls... verbally abuse match officials... It's not a nice state to be in... And it happens so much more frequently these days... I'd rather go on a cruise or something. I really would be freeing myself of the habit of just turning up... And further, I might even find that I don't miss it... I didn't miss it one bit from Swansea at home to Norwich away last season. I felt relieved actually.

Sure, I'll always be a Villa fan - but I would have freed myself from the whole match day grind and my daughter (bless her) would get extra time from me at home. Stuff that's important...

I might buy a shirt, I might not. I have said it before in another thread - the Club does **** all for me and wouldn't do jack shit if I was destitute outside New Street Station wearing my Villa shirt. Just like I am a consumer, Villa are a business and seek any which way to get money out of me - even sending me an email after the Bradford 2nd leg thanking me for my support on one hand, then asking for money on the other by reminding just how many more key home games there are to go in this season. Well Villa - you've already had my money, so tough tits.

I don't think I'd be back to be fair... But I certainly wouldn't look down my nose at anyone that did... You pay your money, go when you want, stay away when you want. Live your own life as you're a long time dead - certainly life is too short to be miserable every week in the wind, rain and cold watching the club die on it's arse.

Great post.

It probably made no difference, but after all the people moaning and swearing around me had left, it felt like we started to play better and Wiemann got our 2nd.

Like I say, it probably made no difference at all. But I'd rather be in a stadium of 25,000 people supporting the team, than 30,000 people including fans who just insult the players and manager for the full 90 minutes.

There were moments last night when a guy behind me just slagged off every single Villa player that touched the ball. "Get him off! He's shit!"... "Get this guy off too! He's useless!"... "It's too late now Lambert you pratt! You should have taken him off ages ago!"

I was relieved when him and his idiotic mate left at 80 minutes.

My favourites are the ones who point at the players and where they want them to pass it as though the players are going to be looking at them thinking "oh I'll pass it here because he's telling me too".

I think it's ridiculous when we boo our own players off aswell when they get subbed.... really going to help their confidence.

I remember a game last season the bloke next to me was swearing his head off and shouting at the away fans saying he'll "Have them" after the match.... A bee flew towards him halfway through the second half and he pretty much shat his pants waving his arms around like a girl shouting "what the ****!" :rolleyes: , he also left after 70 mins so doubt he "had" any of the away fans lol.

If you really want to make a point, rather than boycotting I would suggest protesting outside the ground during the game. Get enough people and sing loud enough and it'd be heard inside, and picked up by the TV cameras. That'd really, really be embarrassing for the club

People just stopping turning up makes it look like we're fickle fans who gave up when things got hard

I'm a season ticket holder it would be pointless to boycott. As i've already cashed out 400 quid... 

Same here unless you can get a refund.

If lambert / Faulkner and Lerner are about next season though, I'm OUT

If you really want to make a point, rather than boycotting I would suggest protesting outside the ground during the game. Get enough people and sing loud enough and it'd be heard inside, and picked up by the TV cameras. That'd really, really be embarrassing for the club

People just stopping turning up makes it look like we're fickle fans who gave up when things got hard

This is why protesting is difficult. The only thing that is likely to have any effect is a boycott, but a meaningful boycott is just about the most difficult thing to successfully arrange. Perhaps a more striking and realistic approach would be to remain in the concourse for the first five minutes of a game, or something along those lines.

This is why protesting is difficult. The only thing that is likely to have any effect is a boycott, but a meaningful boycott is just about the most difficult thing to successfully arrange. Perhaps a more striking and realistic approach would be to remain in the concourse for the first five minutes of a game, or something along those lines.

or stand up and face away from the pitch for the first 5 minutes of each half

I wouldn't boycott even though I say it a lot I wouldn't. I was a really sick kid growing up in the 80s and 90s and I had to sit in a lot villa were always there for me to watch and be proud of. When I was older and had no more problems I finally realised my dream of attending matches and got a season ticket ( this was the year o Leary almost relegated us) and I kept going no matter how bad results were. I've had to leave home for 2 years to work in Australia not by choice just need to pay bills back home and again through the rough times I turn to my club again because their my first love even my girlfriend acknowledges that and she knows. What's happening at the club now is heart breaking it has me anxious to the point that I almost feel as low and sick as I did as a kid some will say that's sad but Aston villa mean the world to me relegation will absolute break my heart beyond anything I could imagine. When I wake up during the night i come straight on villa talk to see if there's any news, when I get up in the morning I'm on the site throughout the day looking for some glimmer of hope, I stay up till ridiculous hours over here to watch us lose games and then have to go to work tired and stressed, no body knows the fear that hides behind the smiles. Still we hold onto that last glimmer of hope that Lerner can't be this cruel he can't let us go without a fight but time is running out the last bit of life is draining out of the body of Aston villa and the championship vultures are circling savouring the smell of the meal to come

• Like 1

I'm a season ticket holder it would be pointless to boycott. As i've already cashed out 400 quid... 

Yeah, same here. Plus by boycotting the game we're lowering ourselves to the levels of other clubs and giving "outsiders" the ammunition they need to label us as, yes you guessed it, fickle.

If you don't want to pay your money then fine, but there are thousands of people who carried on supporting the club (or so I'm told by my old man) when they dipped to the old 3rd division, and there will be again if the same happened now. Of course, the prices might need to drop to reflect the situations if that happened, but still, there will always be fans at the Villa.

It's an interesting quandary that isn't it... On the one hand there is the 'blind love' support where people will continue to pump 450+ quid for a season ticket come what may and who may or may not have anything other than football in their life - they will always be part of the furniture. On the other hand, this is the 21st Century, football competes with a lot more leisure pursuit finances than 40 years ago (my perception anyway) - which makes us customers and consumers.

I've had a spiralling downward and receding interest in football generally since the 2010 World Cup and find it harder and harder to motivate myself to exercise my season ticket spending each year - more and more I become disappointed with a feeling that I am not getting value for money, and certainly not enjoying it. I've been a Villa fan as long as I remember, and I have experienced great joy, and the horrors of relegation - but it never felt quite like it does now...

I have never felt so humiliated to be associated with the Club - never felt such a prolonged and consistent misery, even back in 86-87. Never been as bad as this.

I believe there is serious damage being done to the 'fathful' by all this, and I understand fully why people may throw in the towel. Quite simply, it ain't cheap. And football competes with so many other things now. We're having the stuffing knocked out of us.

I don't want to feel miserable week in week out - had enough of that last season, and I threw in the towel and boycotted after the Swansea capitulation through to McLeish's sacking, renewing my ticket as soon as he left the club. I've tried it again this season, and after another 450+ quid and a steady stream of humiliations and humblings, find myself quesitioning why I go... Why do I spend so much money on something that makes me miserable? So, since Eck was appointed, that the best part of 900 quid down the drain on feeling like shite... For that kind of money, a customer should experience some sort of entertainment. There are no guaratees in football, I know that. The win rate at Villa Park however over the last 24 months has been ridiculous... and how many games have been truly enjoyable? I'd be struggling to name 5 if the truth be known. And in that 5, I would put the 3-2 defeat to United in there as 'enjoyable' as it was an entertaining game, even if the final result was predictable and frustrating.

Everyone is different - but your point is correct, will they come back? My decline has been since the World Cup, so it's not just Villa - it's football as a whole. I used to watch ANY football that was shown on the tele - I was mad for it. I just can't be arsed with it any more... No interest even in the Champions League unless there's a British team in the final these days. I certainly can't be bothered with England friendlies and qualifying games... Same old, every time with them.

I'm a family man and I have other hobbies/interests to fork out for. Stuff that generally makes me happy. Even if we stay up, I can't see me renewing next time - it's too much of a financial risk for so much money on something likely to make me so mad. Something that makes me punch walls... verbally abuse match officials... It's not a nice state to be in... And it happens so much more frequently these days... I'd rather go on a cruise or something. I really would be freeing myself of the habit of just turning up... And further, I might even find that I don't miss it... I didn't miss it one bit from Swansea at home to Norwich away last season. I felt relieved actually.

Sure, I'll always be a Villa fan - but I would have freed myself from the whole match day grind and my daughter (bless her) would get extra time from me at home. Stuff that's important...

I might buy a shirt, I might not. I have said it before in another thread - the Club does **** all for me and wouldn't do jack shit if I was destitute outside New Street Station wearing my Villa shirt. Just like I am a consumer, Villa are a business and seek any which way to get money out of me - even sending me an email after the Bradford 2nd leg thanking me for my support on one hand, then asking for money on the other by reminding just how many more key home games there are to go in this season. Well Villa - you've already had my money, so tough tits.

I don't think I'd be back to be fair... But I certainly wouldn't look down my nose at anyone that did... You pay your money, go when you want, stay away when you want. Live your own life as you're a long time dead - certainly life is too short to be miserable every week in the wind, rain and cold watching the club die on it's arse.

One of the few posters and posts that makes logical sense.

My son, who is a season ticket holder like me, has not had the fortune to see us win the League, the European Cup and a couple of League Cups and trudging home through the snow after the Bradford game he informed me that he was sick and tired of feeling depressed and gutted on a regular basis after nearly 3 consecutive seasons of dross.

He was sick and tired of rushing back from work or his study group to get down the Villa only to walk home feeling like shit.

There's not much I can do or say to make him feel otherwise as he has not experienced those great moments that I have mentioned and when you look at football as a whole I can't really justify trying to convince him otherwise.

While there is a Villa there will always be an attendance at the games. However, I suspect that much like my son, there will be a whole generation of people who won't have the same passion or feelings for the game and will drift off to spend their 'Austerity' controlled cash on more satisfying things in life and attendances will fall noticeably across the game.

I am beginning to think along similar lines but maybe I am too long in the tooth to change. If I were younger I may just look elsewhere for my adrenalin fix.

Unfortunately as a supporter of the club I feel the need to actually support them by putting money into the club. That isn't a "better fan" comment, it's just simply how I view it. I'll be at Villa for the good times, and I'll be there for the bad time. These past 3 seasons are really testing that theory but I keep on going. As long as the people I go with continue to go, then I will. Because regardless of the final score, it's always a pretty decent day out.

• Like 1

Interesting point on the good/bad times support thing. I'm the same, I'll support the team through thick and thin and I'll be there next season come rain or shine. But at the same time when the bad times result from what I'd perceive to be mismanagement rather than a natural 'football' matter - some teams are shit because they have to be, that's what the league is for - I'd feel the need to stand up for that view. Difficult one.

Â