Board of Directors

maqroll

I've been wondering, how often does the entire board actually sit down at a conference table, in person, and discuss Aston Villa Football Club?

The board is ostensibly comprised of astute businessmen, some of whom have football knowledge...but does Lerner actually hold board meetings? Or is it just him and Faulkner stumbling around in the dark?

Do the board members understand the ramifications of relegation?

Are they even aware that we are in a relegation fight?

Would a responsible board member advise Lerner not to spend much this window?

It's clear that Lerner is clueless and Faulkner is a close second, so who amongst the brass should we have confidence in?

These are the same clowns that agreed to PAY Small Heath for Alex McLeish.

The situation upstairs is as much a shambles as the team is.

This is not a professionally run football club.

Edited by maqroll

is the general at the club as still?

im guessing that they dont have meetings, they probably dont even realize were in the relegation zone, ill take a stab in the dark - the general is back in america shooting whatever wildlife he comes across, faulkner probably spends most his time at the belfry and doesnt recognize the players when theyre there (he probably thinks theyre bar staff) and lerner is no doubt on his plane somewhere, hence why PL cant get hold of the cheque book!

thats my guess anyway, lol

The board is ostensibly comprised of astute businessmen, some of whom have football knowledge

I cannot agree with this, Lerner is not an astute businessman and no-one has the required football knowledge.

I do agree that the board are a shambles though.

I cannot agree with this, Lerner is not an astute businessman and no-one has the required football knowledge.

I do agree that the board are a shambles though.

Note that I used the word "ostensibly"

Acc to the OS, the Board is [my annotations in square brackets]:

Board Members

Chairman
Randolph Lerner
[Director, then Chairman MBNA, 1993-2006]

Chief Executive Officer
Paul Faulkner
[Relationship Manager MBNA, 1999-–2004]

Chief Financial Officer
Robin Russell
[Chief Financial Officer, MBNA Loan Portfolio Funding Limited 1998-2004]

Non-Executive Director
General Charles C. Krulak
[
MBNA America, chief admin officer, later Senior Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer MBNA Europe, 1999-2005]

Other Members

President Emeritus
Sir Doug Ellis OBE

Apart from their MBNA/Aston Villa experience, all the directors' experience has been in the financial sector, apart from general K, who of course has a big military career behind him. And then there's dear old Doug.

A management consultant having a quick glance at that board might point out it's a teensy bit MBNA-ish and there is not much sense of external challenge on the board. They might recommend getting in a couple of experienced non-execs, one with a bit of experience of running a football club, one with experience of turning round a failing business or two.

Would love to know the answer to the question about how, and how often, they have their board meetings, or how they communicate both about day-to-day and bigger strategic decisions.

• Like 1

A management consultant having a quick glance at that board might point out it's a teensy bit MBNA-ish and there is not much sense of external challenge on the board.

And might also look at the record of MBNA in the period those guys were running it, and ask whether that's a recommendation of any kind in itself...allegations of misselling, lawsuits, claims of misrepresenting the finances...

My professional view is that Lerner's far too reliant on people who used to work for him (YCRTA "yes men") which is not exactly a great position to be in.

I'd have a non-executive Chairman, an ambitious CEO with football industry experience, a CFO who's level headed and able to appreciate the fine line between seeing expenditure on players as a cost and an investment, a COO who can handle all the back-office requirements, and two independent non-execs who were selected for specific knowledge and experience whether it be football or not (I'd actually have one who was experienced in turnaround situations right now).

I just don't have the impression that the board are listed for any other reason than to make it look like we actually have one and it's really just Lerner and Faulkner asking Russell to sign some cheques.

• Like 1

Â