A view from the opposition

Liam_Baggies

For me Boggies are our natural enemy.Longest rivals, closest rivals, and were i came from, Perry Barr, more numerous, and more rivalry.

We did give them there nickname, and i don't want them to like us, i quite like that most of their supporters dislike us more than they do the Wolves.

Liam why are you on here when you openly admit you don't like our club

Initially to carry out the questionnaire and seen as you've asked me several questions I have responded to them.

I did say that I would come on here and reflect on the game from our point of view.

I was next to the Smethwick and could see and hear and applause during the 8th minute. Starting in the Millenium corner and there was some in the Smethwick, I also had it confirmed to me by an Albion fan in the Smethwick that it was going on around her.

West Bromwich Albion and their fans were an absolute disgrace on Saturday, as were West Midlands Police.

Last season fans of both clubs frequented the Royal Oak before the game, with Villa taking up two thirds and Albion the final part of the pub. It was a surreal scene, admittedly, for a derby but actually their was no trouble and just lots of singing and banter with the police waiting outside just in case. A perfectly fine and rational situation. THIS season (Saturday) up to 20 police decided to enter the pub well over an hour before kick-off and stood in between the two sets of fans and also in a line leading to the toilets, blocking everybody's way. They proceeded then to tell the landlord to stop selling beer and by 45 minutes before kick-off had kicked practically every Villa fan out into the freezing cold. They spoke to our fans with disdain and threatened to take pints off people unless they downed them (surely that is making people more drunk, not less) and then 'WMP football unit' has the bare faced CHEEK on Twitter to claim 1.) that the licensee had decided to close the pub and 2.) that people with drinks had been allowed to finish them. Both statements not true at all. The landlord was, actually, slumped against the bar arms folded looking mightily pissed off at the massive amount of lost trade the police had caused.

Then, when something kicked off in the Villa end at the end of the game, I saw a female copper thump an innocent middle-aged man from point blank range with a truncheon in the face, knocking his glasses off in the process. This guy, ironically, turned out to be a solicitor himself and was certainly not causing any trouble and was understandably hurt by the incident. It was disgraceful behaviour and just highlights how football fans in general are just treated like animals, whereas a large section of the police seem intent just to have a ruckus to make their shift go quicker. A lot of them seem power mad and many situations are definitely inflamed, rather than squashed, by the police's input.

Despite a fiery atmosphere at the start of the game, the whole Villa end put rivalries to one side to pay tribute to Albion's former player and the minute of applause (which actually lasted a lot longer than a minute) was impeccably observed by our away support. Not eight minutes later and Albion are starting to show their true colours by taking part in the truly horrendous 8th minute applause mocking our 8-0 defeat at Chelsea. This is the same small time gesture their own official Twitter account was proudly highlighting a few weeks back and it really does show you how bitter and obsessed they are by us. Despite what a certain Villa hater on here claims, I was right next to the segregation and I was left in no doubt why they were standing and 'applauding'. Then, in the 19th/20th minute, they embarrassed themselves as a football club again by mocking our Petrov gesture and the hate in their eyes was palpable. Our fans were able to put football to one side and be the bigger men by joining in with their tribute, but could they do the same or at least just let us get on with it? Could they hell, they just cannot control their deep rooted bitterness towards our club. And franky, it stinks.

Throughout the game all they sung about was Aston Villa. I'd say 60 per cent of their songs either had our name in or were exclusively about us. Us, on the other hand, sung 'SOTB' twice if I remember correctly.

The chant of the day went up in the away end - 'you're obsessed with the Villa, we know what you are' - and the poor Albion fans only knew how to respond with yet another verse of 'SOTV'. The poor buggers really do hate us, almost as much as Blues, and they so desperately want us to hate them back but I really do just pity them. I've never encountered such a bitter club in all my time.

At the final whistle I saw coins chucked into our end and a lad of about 10, in a White hoody, spit into the Villa end. And yet, when we had an argument with a group of Albion fans on the way back to our car, one of them claimed they were a 'family club' and that their main derby was with Wolves - oh give me a break, is the word 'deluded' another word you want me to associate with your club? By this point, coupled with the second-half capitulation, I was pretty pissed off and asked one of the Baggies fans (a man of about 60) what it was like forever living under our shadow? To which he laughed and I asked him why he found it so hilarious and informed him that we were, of course, the Midlands biggest club. He laughed again. So I asked him who on earth was the biggest Midlands club if it wasn't us? I must have asked him about 20 times before he stopped chuckling and finally let out a quiet 'the Albion' before laughing again. Yes, I definitely can add 'deluded' to that list but at least they have a sense of humour.

Horrible, horrible little small time club with bitter and twisted supporters but thankfully they only enter our minds twice a season. Whereas most Albion fans clearly have a Villa dartboard in their homes with our European Cup placed in the middle. Oh, did I just mention our history again?

Â