Newspaper Roundup: That's More Like it!

JohnCresswell

By cicottrell:

Today finally see's more decent transfer rumours!

Thats more like it - some decent transfer rumours in todays papers!

First off, as reported in several papers, Chelsea are interested in taking Baros on Loan for the rest of the season! Great! A good deal all round, I wonder if Jose can do what Houllier, Rafa, DOL and MON have failed to do and get him to look like the good player he is? Getting rid of him (to a team we won't be playing again this season) will mean we have to sign another forward in the next 3 weeks, which brings us to rumour 2...

Nicolae Dica, the Romanian forward has been heavily linked, and whilst I've never heard of him, a £2-3 million bid would certainly be worth the risk, although as with all foreign players (inc Petrov) I except not to see the best of him until next season, given a chance to settle. Arsenal seem to have mastered this trick by buying players in January, giving them 6 months in the reserves and making sure they're ready for the new season (Think Walcott, Adebayor).

Less heavily linked is Darren Bent, who now he's injured, it seems, is available. Whilst many will say he would cost a lot compared to a similar ability foreigner, they forget that he would also be worth a lot more if and when we come to sell. I would jump at the chance to sign him.

The Sun has linked us with SWP, the first time I've actually seen a link with him, which is good. We really need a right winger and SWP is a first class right winger. And (assuming Milner is unavailable) there isn't a lot else to go for (Bentley maybe?). The only reason I can see us NOT going for him is if MON wants to go with 4-3-3 and use someone like Dica on the right side of a front 3.

The same paper also says our bid for WBA's Davis has been turned down. Whilst he sounds like a good prospect, I think Cahill and the Ridge are great prospects and if we do need a centre back, it should be a experienced one, such as Upson.

The deal for Bardsley looks done and dusted, lets hope he's better than Hughes!

As a overly positive person, I can see our team for the 2nd half of the season being:

--------------Tommy------------

Bardsley--Olof---Ridge----Bouma

SWP---McCann -- Petrov--- Barry

--------Dica---Bent--------

I would be very happy with that!

One player NOT linked with us today that I'm a bit disappointed with is Barton. Whilst just as good a defensive midfielder as Gav, his superior passing ability makes him a much better player imo. He also has exactly the sort of personality thats been missing from Villa for as long as I can remember, its about time we had a bad boy, someone to really rally the troops in the dressing room.

So come Randy, lets get spending that cash!!!

Well you must be the eternal optimist....

Were are not looking like getting bent

nor do we seem in the running for ashley young

logically - this would lead me to beleive that we won't get SWP either.

Different faces in Randy and MON - but this looks like a typical Aston Villa transfer window.

Well you must be the eternal optimist....

Were are not looking like getting bent

nor do we seem in the running for ashley young

logically - this would lead me to beleive that we won't get SWP either.

Different faces in Randy and MON - but this looks like a typical Aston Villa transfer window.

Well Kingrollo you must be the eternal pessimist...

The big difference between Randy and MON and the previous regime is that they have not promised how much money they will be spending and they have not been drawn into commenting on any of the transfer gossip. I expect that this will be the way that the new Villa will operate.

That doesn't mean that no news is good news. Just that no news isn't necessarily bad news. I also think that even if we don't buy many players in January that that will mean that we will spend more money in the summer (as long as we stay up :twisted: ).

I don't ever remember the previous regime ever committing to a figure. They said things like 1.'were keeping our powder dry for the summer' - 2.'we won't be held to ransom by inflated fees' - Watch for excuse 2 to be trotted out very soon.

It seems were going to get Bardsley - and some cheapos - fair enough - but don't gasp in amazement when Newcastle play in front of 40,000 - whilst we struggle to get 30,000

Bent is available - other than lack of funds - they can be no good reason not to go for him (but I ain't holding my breath)

I think there are a lot of twists and turns in all this transfer talk......Bardsley was going to Sunderland - supposedly done deal..... now he looks like coming to us.

There is a lot of posturing going on ...and no one i.e.clubs ,players likes to be turned down.the sabre rattling starts before the firm bid comes in so lets not despair just yet. My suspicion is by Jan 31, we will all be pleasantly surprised.

I believe we are desperately short on strength, but despite Randy's money i also believe both Martin & Randy have no intention of squandering it ( it don't grow on trees). albeit from the point of view of re building the club it is important that we start creating some successes in the tranfer market to indicate to the football world we have a prudent management structure at the club and give confidence to players that they are joining an ambitious regime. The most effective indicator of all to show fans and players alike that the club means business ....is an active player acquisition policy. It sends positive messages all over the place and is the quickest route to rebuilding the brand image of the club.

Despite my stance that we need new players now..... if the right ones are not available then i think Martin should "keep his powder dry" until the Summer...... and all cross our fingers that we make it through.

I have every confidence we WILL succeed in acheiving the above it is just a question of the pace of things.

Tro wrote:-

The most effective indicator of all to show fans and players alike that the club means business ....is an active player acquisition policy. It sends positive messages all over the place and is the quickest route to rebuilding the brand image of the club.

Despite my stance that we need new players now..... if the right ones are not available then i think Martin should "keep his powder dry" until the Summer

I agree about an active transfer market policy - it cuts the the talk - and no one can doubt you mean business.

With regards to availability of players - I think Charlton have made it clear Bent is available ......but Aston Villa don't appear to be interested ......this concerns me.

With regards to availability of players - I think Charlton have made it clear Bent is available ......but Aston Villa don't appear to be interested ......this concerns me.

Who says we aren't interested? So far there has been nothing leaked by the club about who we are interested in and who we aren't interested in. OK so the media aren't linking us - as far as I know it's not the media that are buying players for us.

I'd rather there was no news in the papers and then players appearing in the shirt on the pitch than the other way round.

Who says we aren't interested? So far there has been nothing leaked by the club about who we are interested in and who we aren't interested in. OK so the media aren't linking us - as far as I know it's not the media that are buying players for us.

I'd rather there was no news in the papers and then players appearing in the shirt on the pitch than the other way round.

The media are linking us as much as anyone.

Let's just stop trying to force a shit out in angst, sit back, and see what happens.

On the 1st of February we comment on the clubs activities in the window, until then it's silly, particulalry on January 6th.

Seem to remember last weeked - people were saying 'the window isn't even open yet' - this week they are saying 'the window has only been open 5 days' - whats the betting that come jan 31 ....its 'we always knew the main activity would be in the summer' ..................

The sooner we sign a big name the better. If, say, we are talking to Bent and he's not too sure about Villa (compared to say Spurs who have European football to offer him), surely it would be better to say, well, we'll already signed SWP and Dica (or whoever), surely this shows our intent? Rather than saying, well we've signed Bardsley!

Once we get one, I think 2 or 3 more will follow.

All three statements are true kingrollo.

I'll be disappointed if we don't go for the players who clearly are available i.e. Bent but beyond that it's tough to say whether quality will be available at a reasonable price.

I have the patience to wait until the summer, do you?

No I don't have the patience until summer - patience has been our downfall in recent years.

I think that if we sign players in Jan - we will also sign them in Aug - no activity in Jan , can only mean the Lerner Era is false dawn ...and will be followed by more of the same in Aug...

as a few people have said - we need a statement of Intent.

Well u might have to wait. Jesus Christ this is starting to piss me off. What if the players MON wants aren't available in this window? What if the players he does want decide to go elsewhere...what if we compete on level terms with spurs for Bent (for example) offer him the same wages etc, what if he joined spurs anyway? What can we do about that?

What if we don't sign a 'statement of intent' player? What then? Is Lerner a charlatan? Is MON a terrible manager? Are we slipping towards decades of mediocrity again?

No I don't have the patience until summer - patience has been our downfall in recent years.

I think that if we sign players in Jan - we will also sign them in Aug - no activity in Jan , can only mean the Lerner Era is false dawn ...and will be followed by more of the same in Aug...

as a few people have said - we need a statement of Intent.

I'd love a statement of intent in the window.

FWIW I think there will be one. But if there's not, I''m prepared to wait until the end of the season. To say that 'no activity in Jan can only mean the Lerner era is a false dawn' is something you should be ashamed of.

Patience has not been our downfall in recent years, it's the lack of follow-through after the waiting.

Seem to remember last weeked - people were saying 'the window isn't even open yet' - this week they are saying 'the window has only been open 5 days' - whats the betting that come jan 31 ....its 'we always knew the main activity would be in the summer' ..................

Lovely comments spot on :)

My remaining hope, despite the slight downturn in the Generals optimism, the obvious to many, negativity in O'Neills recent statement, the desire to sell and not use quality players, the Dream Team will mange to find the odd useful addition, be they big names or well past it stop gaps.

Why, well I'm a wee bit concerned about the dramatic fall down the league, the increase in errors especially amongst the kids and the now weary and somewhat desperate look about O'Neill of late.

I for one aren't to keen for this organic growth thing to be done from a lower division not that it will ever happen of course, not under O'Neill

Despite the odd rumour to the contrary, I'm sure O'Neill has been given exactly what he wants in funds and no restrictions have been placed on the type of player he will eventually be allowed to bring in.

I just wish he'd get on with it, maybe the ploy is to hang on until fans get so desperate they'll accept any bozo without question :)

Â