Benito Carbone

Villaninoz

He did an interview at some time over the past couple of years where he admitted regretting asking Doug for such high wages and that he should've joined us for the long run. 

I wish he had done that as well.

3 hours ago, May-Z said:

He did an interview at some time over the past couple of years where he admitted regretting asking Doug for such high wages and that he should've joined us for the long run. 

I wish he had done that as well.

I seem to remember him scoring a goal at the holte end, lifting his shirt up to reveal he had written "Only £40k a week" on his tee shirt underneath. 

Only £40k. A week. Back then 🤑

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Surprised he only scored 4 league goals for us in 99/00, felt more than that although was adding FA cup goals.

Probably scored the best Villa goal I've seen at VP when he bent it in v Leeds from near the corner flag into top corner, simply a magnificent game of football from start to finish.

Yeah we should've signed him full time even if he wanted silly money and had a poor cup final. Gregory liked him and spoke warmly of him in the recent podcast he did with Matt Kendrick. So of course we baulked at his 30-40k demands....then a few weeks signed Ginola for that money who Gregory never wanted and was just a waste of time for all parties.

One of those decisions in later Ellis period that meant we dropped from established top 6 club into mid table pack. Carbone, Merson and Nilis behind Dublin would've been decent set of forward options. Instead one didn't sign and we lost Nilis after three games and 00/01 was one of most boring seasons I've watched, can only recall about four games from that season as nothing really happened apart from relegating Coventry in last home game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â