So what sort of club are we going to be

PussEKatt

Apparently we have one of the smallest squads in the Premier League, on top of that PL has been told to trim the wage bill and cut costs,so what does that actually mean to us ?

If our squad is one of the smallest in the PL then surely we are saving wages already ?

If we keep buying players from the lower divisions then our wage bill will drop, but at what cost ...you can't stay in the PL with Championship players.

Ok, the way I see it is that there are 4 kinds of club in the Premier League.

1- The clubs trying to qualifyfor the Champions league, Man Ure,Chelski etc

2- The clubs trying to qualify for the europa league, Everton,Spurs etc

3- The clubs that just make up the numbers, Stoke,Fulham etc

4- The clubs struggling to stay up,Wigan,the 3 promoted clubs etc

So what catogary do we fall in ? 1 and 2 are definately out, so that only leaves 3 and 4 with the current cost cutting mentality I really hope we are not going to be in the 4th catogary.

Lerner and PL must realise that to stay in the Premier League the squad needs a certain level of skill and experiance in it ?!

Your thoughts .................

Number 4

I've seen nothing this season to suggest were capable of being a mid table side

I'm going to go for 5.

With the cutbacks being imposed, relegation is an inevitability under the current trajectory of the club. We've escaped it over the past couple of seasons, but we're edging ever closer to the drop with each year that passes. Good management may prolong our stay in the league, but we won't ever be a class 2 side again until the financial parameters that we operate under, are changed. We aren't a club moving forward, quite the opposite. We may have unearthed a couple of good players in Westwood and Benteke, but our team still has more unproven youngsters in it that last year, and next year we will turn out with even fewer Premiership quality players.

Even comparing our team to the squad from this time last year makes for grim reading. They may not have been fan favourites, but I would be a lot happier seeing Collins, Dunne, Petrov (unfortunate circumstances), Cuellar and the likes in the team rather than Clark, Baker, Delph and Bennet.

• Like 1

Might I just say, excellent OP, PussEKatt. Sets out our current position and the issues facing the club very clearly and starkly. I wonder if our board have ever had a debate along these lines? - it seems we fans haven't really been clear about the board's ambitions for the club for a few years now.

Between 4 and 5 for me. Whilst Lambert has good intentions, trying to bring through youth and lower league "gems" on a pittance, it is inevitable that we will go down eventually with the ruthless cost cutting and bad practice of the bunch of muppets that run our club.

You ask most fans of other clubs about Aston Villa in its current guise and at the moment we are like a bad fart, lingering in a lift. We have no purpose other than to just hang about doing nothing but clogging up the place and harking back to the glories of a bygone age.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

it seems to be a continuing process - to always isolate the top earner at VP. Last season it was Heskey, Beye, Cuellar, that we needed to shift - then the wage bill would be manageable. This season its Given, Nzog, Ireland, Bent, - when they have gone - it will be some others. Its not a policy with an end date

We should now be getting close to a level that is sustainable. It will be interesting to see the next set of accounts to see what progress has been made (when are these due?)

The main issue at the moment is that we are not getting value for money from the more expensive players mentioned above. Some of them are not being used at all. Now there is a chicken and egg argument here - is PL forcing these players out to meet a wage reduction agenda? I really hope thats not the case otherwise we really are in 4/5 territory. However I don't believe this is true, they are just not delivering and contributing what they should be for the price. Otherwise we would be in level 2/3 territory.

Everton are probably at the other end of the scale of teams punching above their weight in terms of wages vs league position (that would be an interesting comparison table).

We're trying to qualify for the europa league, like Everton,Spurs etc. Via the league we're not anywhere near it. By the cups, we're closer. We're undergoing a sizeable remodelling of the way the club is run. What comes out of the other side is undecided. Might be better and secure. Might be a mess. But we're not standing still, we're aiming to be sustainably run, well run, attractive and entertaining, with a chance of competing outside of the mega money clubs, I guess.

We are a 2.5 on that scale, but this retooling has made us a 3.5.

Lambert isn't a clown, he knows what needs to be done (I hope).

But that's the damage this season so far has done, I don't trust him now.

He seems too stubborn, or he is learning about the players... I so hope he knows what he is doing!

I can see us being a 2 under Lambert, maybe even next season. But only if he makes it that long.

We are Aston Villa, the Original #1. Thank you William McGregor!

We have done it before, we can do it again.

Apparently we have one of the smallest squads in the Premier League, on top of that PL has been told to trim the wage bill and cut costs,so what does that actually mean to us ?

If our squad is one of the smallest in the PL then surely we are saving wages already ?

If we keep buying players from the lower divisions then our wage bill will drop, but at what cost ...you can't stay in the PL with Championship players.

Ok, the way I see it is that there are 4 kinds of club in the Premier League.

1- The clubs trying to qualifyfor the Champions league, Man Ure,Chelski etc

2- The clubs trying to qualify for the europa league, Everton,Spurs etc

3- The clubs that just make up the numbers, Stoke,Fulham etc

4- The clubs struggling to stay up,Wigan,the 3 promoted clubs etc

So what catogary do we fall in ? 1 and 2 are definately out, so that only leaves 3 and 4 with the current cost cutting mentality I really hope we are not going to be in the 4th catogary.

Lerner and PL must realise that to stay in the Premier League the squad needs a certain level of skill and experiance in it ?!

Your thoughts .................

We are in category 5. The **** category.

what type of club we are depends on one thing - Revenue.

Revenue dictates what level you can have your wage bill at, and the wage bill pretty much decides where you finish in the Premier League.

6 clubs have a massive revenue and massive wage bill (Man U, Man C, Arse, Chelsea, L'pool, Spurs), so we can't compete with them on a long-term basis.

the next 4 clubs have a decent revenue with us at the top - Villa £92m, Newcastle £89m, Everton £82m, Sunderland £79m.

So we have the 7th highest revenue in the Prem, which should allow us the 7th highest wage bill.

In theory, all other things being equal, we should be able to finish 7th or thereabouts each season.

The trouble is that the top 6 are way ahead of us, much more than we are ahead of Newc, Everton, Sunderland.

So really long-term we are in battle for 7th-10th.

(of course, football being football, it doesn't exactly work like that looking at individual teams, but overall it does roughly pan out over the long-term).

Â