Italy

LancsVillan

Looking to go to Italy for the first time this year and we are looking specifically at the Lake Garda area.

Reading online the SE area seems best as it offers good cycling too, but before any decisions are made we thought it an idea to ask the well travelled users of my favourite site.

So over to you lot.....

I did Rome down to Sorento (Pompeii) up to Pisa and Florence then San Marino and Rimini and then Venice the other year

Pompeii is very interesting and you could cycle up and around Mt.Vesuvius ( we tried to drive up but the sat Nav took us to a camp-site type place where people were cycling around , we couldn't get the car up any further so gave up and went on a tour around roads that didn't exist courtesy of the sat nav ..grrrr)

Sorento is a beach town but quite expensive .. Nearby Naples is a bit rough so be careful where you go

Pisa is quite small and not a lot there other than the tower

Florence is amazing not just the cathedral the whole town just has a wonderful look and vibe to it

San Marino is on top of a hill , you could cycle up there quite easily ( easily as in you won't get mowed down by cars , the road was quite steep if I recall , from there it's about 30 miles to Rimini where you are on the beach front (Adriatic sea if I recall ? ) , loads of hotels and bars / restaurants

Rome and Varican city is worth a look if its your first visit , expensive but its not really Italy if you don't visit the coliseum etc

Venice had a lot of refurbishment work going on when I went so St Marks square was like a building site , but you can get flight back to the UK from Venice and its a good little spot to end the trip if you go up that way

Not been to Lake Garda but it does look amazing so I think you'll enjoy Italy no matter where you go

Edited by tonyh29

I did Rome down to Sorento (Pompeii) up to Pisa and Florence then San Marino and Rimini and then Venice the other year....Florence is amazing not just the cathedral the whole town just has a wonderful look and vibe to it

Rome and Varican city is worth a look if its your first visit , expensive but its not really Italy if you don't visit the coliseum etc

...I think you'll enjoy Italy no matter where you go

Florence centre is great, the rest of it is like basingstoke or any other non-descript town. Rome kicks it's butt every time for me. And yes, Italy is a great country to visist.

Florence centre is great, the rest of it is like basingstoke or any other non-descript town. Rome kicks it's butt every time for me. And yes, Italy is a great country to visist.

You're dead when Gareth sees this :P

If you're anywhere near Venice (which Lake Garda is kinda ...) then check it out. Even for a day. It has to be seen to be believed, really.

Venice is worth seeing but I don't think you need to spend too long there. Verona is well worth a visit and although it goes on a bit you can get cheap tickets to the opera house there which is quite an experience.

Always wanted to go to lake Garda as I hear its beautiful. Went to Lake Como and thought that was fantastic and well worth a visit, especially Bellagio which is a really beautiful area. I'm hoping to get married either there or in Tuscany next year I fell in love with the place that much.

And the tip about plenty of money is true, ridiculous prices for a glass of coke in most restaurants or cafes.

Oh and the only Italian word you need to know is 'prego' no idea what it means but everyone seems to say it for a variety of different scenarios.

Ooh you reminded me of my most expensive glass of coke ever. In Venice funnily enough. The waiter came out with a silver bowl of ice cubes and a tongs. I knew it wasn't going to end well. I think it cost about €6 for a 250ml bottle. I bastardi.

Haha tongs for a coke is an added expense just not needed.

I assumed coke was just stupidly expensive in Italy until I went to a normal shop and bought a can for around 80p. Can't believe how much the restaurants add on to it.

If you go to Venice stay away from Harry's bar. I went for a meal which cost around €40 for two of us, we were told by a friend to check out Harry's bar so we went there for a drink after the meal. My girlfriend had a Bellini and I had a single jamesons and for two drinks it cost €43.

I was stunned. Funnily enough we didn't stay for a second round.

• 2 weeks later...

Bastardi sfacciato! Smiley_ShakeFist.gif

Oh and the only Italian word you need to know is 'prego' no idea what it means but everyone seems to say it for a variety of different scenarios.
It's a general "you're welcome" which can be used for pretty much everything.

Went to Lake Garda as a kid, which meant I probably didn't appreciate is as much as I would now, but I do distinctly remember weeping as the coach was thrown around corners adjacent to sheer drops with a certain 'couldn't-give-a-shit-if-we-live-or-die' attitude prevalent in most Italian drivers. We did Venice in the same holiday which was also a tad underwhelming (and stunk something fierce).

In recent years, the missus and I have done 3-4 day city breaks to Florence and Milan, both of which were fantastic. Milan especially, it was so easy to get around (the Metro system only has 3 lines and can get you anywhere) and there was plenty to see (the most spectacular of which was the Cimitero Monumentale). I had the greatest pizza I have ever (or will ever) eat at a tiny place called Piccolo Ischia, too.

We did Venice in the same holiday which was also a tad underwhelming (and stunk something fierce).

The water underwent a clean a few years back so it no longer smells.

• 3 weeks later...

Venice is dreadful. It's dedicated to ripping people off. Expect to shuffle round in a great crowd, past designer shops and overpriced cafes.

Possibly worth a few hours if you can get there at the absolutely least popular time of year, whenever that is, but almost anywhere else in Italy would be better.

• 5 years later...

Had to dig deep to find this thread. Thinking about going for about 3 weeks with family. Anyone have any recommendations & advice on where to go? We don't have any particular areas we need to visit, so anything would be very helpful!

On 02/10/2018 at 06:22, Villaphan04 said:

Had to dig deep to find this thread. Thinking about going for about 3 weeks with family. Anyone have any recommendations & advice on where to go? We don't have any particular areas we need to visit, so anything would be very helpful!

Italy is beautiful. It is also extremely varied in terms of landscape, food, culture and people. 

The North is about mountains, lakes, cosmopolitan cities and great food.

The South is about great seafood, a slower pace of life, stunning coastlines and phenomenal history.

I'd recommend Sorrento and Pompeii on the Amalfi Coast, with a day trip to Capri. You can also go to Naples from there and maybe catch a Napoli game?

Also worth visiting are the northern towns of Bologna and Verona.  Rome is well worth a trip as well well of course. As is the whole of Florence, which is very much about the art scene.

Wherever you go in Italy, you are in for a treat. I love it there. Have fun. :)

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2018 at 19:22, Villaphan04 said:

On 05/10/2018 at 12:04, One For The Road said:

I'd recommend Sorrento and Pompeii on the Amalfi Coast, with a day trip to Capri. You can also go to Naples from there and maybe catch a Napoli game?

Great advice OFTR. I would suggest spending at least one night on Capri. The daytrippers come on and fill up the place then all leave at sundown. Thats' when Capri is really great as it's less busy and you can find smaller family owned restaurants.

Also Lake Como and Maggiore in the north are phenomenal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2018 at 17:04, One For The Road said:

You can also go to Naples from there and maybe catch a Napoli game?

This. Atmosphere is incredible.

Also, if you are Naples way, Herculaneum is worth checking out. Basically Pompeii but much smaller and much better preserved.

Â