Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

chappy

It's even bigger for sentimental reasons as the players have already said they want Petrov to lead them out at Wembley. They aren't just playing for a final they are playing to give Petrov the best send off imaginable, yes the confidence boost is great but we need to get to the final.

Send off? Hang on a minute!

Lambert press conference on today's game shows why I like him. He just reassures me that the players won't take it for granted and he'll remind them time and time again.

It goes back to the league, which may be a bullet dodged as I don't think the Europa League would benefit us at the moment.

Really?

Look at the way Liverpool have done it this year, just thrown out their young players and reserve players to give them game time. By the end of the Summer I feel our squad will be a lot bigger and I actually think the Europa league could be a good way for us to see our younger players in action.

We seem to be seeing this every saturday at the moment though so only if we have a larger, more experienced squad. We wont be in Europe next year though.

Bradford have lost 2 and drawn 1 of their last 3 games.

Just read a statistic though:

"This is Villa's 14th participation in the semi-finals. They have never progressed to the final after failing to win the first leg of a semi-final"

I think BBC have got that wrong though? Tranmere 94? We lost the first leg but won the second and got to the final.

• This is Villa's 14th participation in the semi-finals. They have never progressed to the final after failing to win the first leg of a semi-final (D2, L3).
  • This is the second time they have faced a fourth-tier club in the League Cup semi-finals: in 1975 they drew 2-2 away to Chester in the first leg and won 3-2 at Villa Park in the second leg.

So they are saying that we never progress when we don't win the 1st leg, then give an example of us progessing after not winning the 1st leg as the next fact???? is there something i am missing?

Just a heads up for everyone going tomorrow, Bradford fans do a minutes applause in the 56th minute to remember those who died in the terrible fire at Valley Parade.

When did they start that ?

• This is Villa's 14th participation in the semi-finals. They have never progressed to the final after failing to win the first leg of a semi-final (D2, L3).
  • This is the second time they have faced a fourth-tier club in the League Cup semi-finals: in 1975 they drew 2-2 away to Chester in the first leg and won 3-2 at Villa Park in the second leg.

So they are saying that we never progress when we don't win the 1st leg, then give an example of us progessing after not winning the 1st leg as the next fact???? is there something i am missing?

yeah someone at the BBC has obviously had a brain fart momrnt, 8 finals yet have only ever won the first leg of a semi on 2 occasions sort of makes their fact obviously bollocks,

Starting to feel the nerves now! We really need make sure they don't come to VP with a sniff, if they sense a result at the end of the game tonight, then it will be a long 90 minutes in two weeks time. Do the business tonight and deflate both their players and supporters and, fingers crossed, most of the job will be done.

For me, I'd like to see Bent and Benteke up front, but not sure tonight's the night for that?

UTV

I wonder how serious Lambert will take Bradford. Will we see our "best" XI or some reserves mixed with regulars?

Oh he will be taking it seriously. Its' werid though, our reserves are some of our most experienced players, so they can't really be called reserves. I think the back four picks itself. Though, I have no idea who will play in midfield. I assume Benteke & Weimann will be starting seeing as they have been rested recently.

Edited by PieFacE

I know it's getting ahead of ourselves a bit but do the runners-up in the league Cup get a UEFA cup place if the winner has qualified for the Champions League. If so we could be playing Bradford over two legs for a place in europe (if we were to play Chelsea in the final)

Even more nervous now if that's the case :unsure:

Really?

Look at the way Liverpool have done it this year, just thrown out their young players and reserve players to give them game time. By the end of the Summer I feel our squad will be a lot bigger and I actually think the Europa league could be a good way for us to see our younger players in action.

We seem to be seeing this every saturday at the moment though so only if we have a larger, more experienced squad. We wont be in Europe next year though.

I don't think our squad is going to get that much bigger, and the Europa League doesn't give you the finances to make it any bigger. I hope that our youngsters are going to benefit from playing this season and will be regulars next season in the league, not wasted on European games. If we had a squad the sizes of Liverpool's I'd feel very different, but I don't think putting our NextGen team in the Europa League would be a good move.