• Albrighton
    • Delph
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Bowery
    • Weimann (for Albrighton 43)
    • Agbonlahor (for Bowery 62)
    • Ireland (for N'Zgobia 82)

Bent and Benteke can both really only play one position and that's centre forward - to play both, you'd need a four man midfield that could control a game completely - not going to happen.

Weimann - N'Zogbia - Agbonlahor behind Benteke on the other hand is a prospect worth looking forward to.

100% Agree.

Been saying this for some time. Villa simply cannot play a 4-4-2 because we dont have the personnel in the midfield to do so. 4-2-3-1 is by far our best formation. I'd love Bent and Benteke in the same team but I just cant see it working.

Would be great to get N'Zogbia firing, would be like a new lease of life. Perhaps just telling him to do what he wants in that no.10 slot, no pressure. He is stronger and more dynamic than Ireland and Holman. I'm not his biggest fan but there is a player in there somewhere and he needs a chance just like Holman and Ireland have in there.

For the Bradford game, I'd go with a front 4 of:

--------------------Benteke-----------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

Gabby-----------N'Zogbia-------------Weimann

I'd love to see Weimann paired up top with Benteke as those two seem to have struck up a real partnership but this was when we were playing a 3-5-2 formation which clearly didnt work. He also scored 2 against UTD playing out there.

For me, this is a decent enough forward line for now and certainly good enough to keep us up if the players are playing with confidence.

Bit harsh as he slipped on the turf allowing the player to get past him.

Well I was North Lower so didnt have the best view but see what you're saying having seen it on itv last night.

How poor is the itv coverage ? Chiles Strachan Dixon all truly awful pundits

Just saw the goals but I'm not very impressed with the lack of enthusiasm from a few of our players when we let in the goal, with Given just sitting down in a huff, and Ireland with a few claps when Weimann scored looking completely disinterested.

Whatever game it is, we should be happy winning, especially in the FA Cup.

The goal we let in was very poor

Baker nowhere near strong enough and really not sure what Lichaj was thinking

he was never going to be able to put it out for a corner from that position, shold have put his left foot through it out for a throw

anyhoo two quality finishes from us, particularly Weimanns because i agree with Bennett himself, it wasn't a very good cross

Just saw the goals but I'm not very impressed with the lack of enthusiasm from a few of our players when we let in the goal, with Given just sitting down in a huff, and Ireland with a few claps when Weimann scored looking completely disinterested.

Whatever game it is, we should be happy winning, especially in the FA Cup.

Only on VT can you find someone still pissed off at Villa after a win.

It looked on the replay Chopra pulled on Baker's arm a couple of times, easily grounds for a foul. Lichaj should have done better with the clearance. Great finishes in the second half it has to be said. We largely dominated it. Good to have some experienced players back. The FA Cup can be a banana peel for many against lower league teams but we won so that's all that matters.

For those unable to view the ITV highlights:

http://www.wawsport....h.71Z7Q3SY.dpbs

thank you

Bent's goal, he makes it look so easy. no extra touch, straight into the corner. He can start more often as far as I'm concerned.

Good pass from N'Zogbia as well.

let these guys play a bit more often, with Zog and Gabby or midfield looks a lot better already imo

Edited by AXD

It was definitely 4-2-3-1 all the way through the game, Bannan was okay except for his set pieces, they truly are fecking awful at times. I thought the difference between the first half and the second was that we looked to move the ball forward a little bit quicker. All season we have tapped the ball around among the back four, passed it into midfield and then gone back to the defenders or 'keeper, always allowing the opposition to organise themselves easily.

I saw Bannan bollocking players a couple of times as he was in a good position to get the ball and play a first time pass in to Bowery or N'Zogbia but it went back instead.

Bennet put in an absolute zinger of a cross a few minutes before the one for Weimann's goal (the cross for the goal was strangled a bit), and he looked so much better from having a bit of help in front of him.

A good result even though the first half performance was weak. The most important thing in the FA Cup 3rd Round is getting past your potential 'Banana Skin' and making sure that you are in the draw for the 4th Round. A thing which some of our Premiership rivals did not manage to achieve.

This match report is utterly pathetic

Whatever Aston Villa's Premier League form – and it has been mostly dire this season – their cups runneth over. Through to the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup, they reached the fourth round of the FA Cup with a none-too-convincing victory against Ipswich Town.

En route to the last four of the League Cup, in which they face Bradford City in the first leg at Valley Parade on Tuesday, Villa have beaten Tranmere Rovers, Manchester City, Swindon Town and Norwich City. Excluding Manchester City, a not too testing passage, perhaps. Ipswich, Norwich's East Anglian rivals, hail from the nether regions of the Championship and might have been expected to be despatched with some ease. Yet such is Villa's frailty these days, they had to recover from being 1-0 adrift at half-time and rely on a superbly executed header from Andreas Weimann in the 83rd minute to book their place in the next round.

At least Darren Bent, Charles N'Zogbia and Gabby Agbonlahor returned from injury and played influential roles in the stuttering win. With three of their more experienced players back and able to provide guidance to the abundance of young bucks in the team, maybe Villa can resurrect their league campaign. "It's really pleasing to have the three of them back," Paul Lambert, the Villa manager, said. "We need them. It's always tough to play sides from a lower division and it was a bit of a setback when we conceded the first goal. It'll be tough against Bradford also – and that's a massive game for the team and the club."

Ipswich, gradually climbing the table since Mick McCarthy replaced Paul Jewell as manager in November, belied their position by going ahead when Michael Chopra got the better of Nathan Baker. Chopra's low shot appeared to be heading wide until Eric Lichaj diverted it into his own net.

Bent, all action and intent on his comeback after nearly a month out with a hamstring problem, equalised 36 seconds into the second half, driving home a low shot. "A typical finish," Lambert said. "That's Darren down to a tee." McCarthy was not so generous. "I'm chewing about that goal," he said. "It changed the course of the game."

Villa still huffed and puffed, though not as badly as they do in most of their league fixtures, and were grateful when Weimann, a substitute, expertly flicked home a cross from Joe Bennett. Ipswich were ko'd in a cup; next on the list, Bradford City.

Was the journalist even at the game?

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

The journalist is a retard.. A not too testing passage in the League Cup? We beat Man City which to get them at any stage makes your passage 10x harder than most teams face, but then to face an in form Norwich side that had seen off far better clubs than our own on their ten game unbeaten streak, the results in those games? 4-2 and 4-1 respectively we dominated.

Now I get that our form currently isn't stellar but this guy has to look around him a bit more. I mean there are teams far worse than us that don't get the negativity we do, I mean Newcastle for instance they are in relegation form right now and even went on a six game losing streak, won once and are now on a 4 game losing streak. We lose 3 games in a row and instantly we are on the receiving end of the most negative articles ever, I just don't get it. We are currently on a two game unbeaten streak unlike those around us in the league and prior to the three losses were on a six game unbeaten streak.

I get that we aren't amazing right now and we are never consistently amazing I get that, but the kind of press we get is unwarranted given that other than failing to win games we managed to draw we haven't done too badly given the age of our squad. I wish journalists would realise that Villa are a work in progress and that we aren't going to be the best every game. Start attacking Newcastle who have some of the best players in Europe, attack QPR who have more experience in their side than half the league combined as they have no excuse for being where they are but we do as we are no where near the finished article yet, attack us in 2-3 years if we are still sitting in 16th showing no signs of progress not now.

Just seen the highlights of the goals, and it's been said time and time again but if that was RVP who scored the goal that Weimann did, the press would be jizzing their pants.

To get the placement, power and loop that Weimann got with his header was unbelievable skill, not to mention that he wasn't even looking at the goal when he did it. Cracking stuff.

Just seen the highlights of the goals, and it's been said time and time again but if that was RVP who scored the goal that Weimann did, the press would be jizzing their pants.

To get the placement, power and loop that Weimann got with his header was unbelievable skill, not to mention that he wasn't even looking at the goal when he did it. Cracking stuff.

Hope he keeps out of the press radar for a but!

We made slight hard work of it but a great win in the end.

Thought Bent, N'Zogbia, Weimann, Bennett and Delph all played well and Bowery looks good for the future.

Bring on Millwall :D

This match report is utterly pathetic

Was the journalist even at the game?

Pretty much everything I read on the Guardian about Villa is negative - two memorable quotes from this season being 'Swansea committing the mortal sin of losing to Aston Villa' after our 2-0 win, and something else about us becoming 'worryingly fashionable to like' after the Liverpool win. Edited by jonno_2004

Â