Soundbars

drat01

On 09/11/2022 at 11:03, AVFCDAN said:

If you use a Sonos Beam and connect up 2 more Sonos wireless speakers do you have any problem with sound being out of sync to the TV?

I’ve had no issues, was a really easy process as well. I was sure I would have issues as mine are older play ones that I’d never managed to get to work on the S2 app but they work flawlessly now.

I’d highly recommend adding the surrounds, really opens up the performance of the Beam. I’ve been playing MW2 and it’s like being in the middle of a Warzone! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got my Sonos Beam 2 and installed it today. It's not very loud or any significant different sound to my TV!

It's set up just underneath the TV in my lounge and i've got the Sonos volume on 80/100. Even at 100/100 volume, its the same volume level as my TV on max, which isn't that loud. 

It's connected through by HDMI into my TV's HDMI (Arc) slot which is what the instructions said to connect it to. 

I've also changed the setting on the app to maximum bass and treble, but same bass level as my TV speakers.

I can change the Sonos volume using my Samsung TV remote but it also doesn't show any volume numbers on the TV just a + and - button.

Am i doing something wrong?  

Edited by ender4

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Is there any sound coming out of the soudbar? Is the TV volume off?

Yes, the sound is coming out of the soundbar and no sound coming from the TV. The voices seem a little clearer but that's the only difference really.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes, the sound is coming out of the soundbar and no sound coming from the TV. The voices seem a little clearer but that's the only difference really.

That suggests that you've wired it up properly.  Sorry, but that's the limit of my knowledge.

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Ok, when I played Sonos Radio straight from my phone through the soundbar, it had loud volume and bass.  

So that suggests its a setting on the TV limiting the volume and bass.

Looks like you are not alone. A couple of different solutions here, mostly changing output format from the TV. https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-beam-low-volume-6809698

Might be worth a shot

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2022 at 16:19, ender4 said:

Well i got my Sonos Beam 2 and installed it today. It's not very loud or any significant different sound to my TV!

It's set up just underneath the TV in my lounge and i've got the Sonos volume on 80/100. Even at 100/100 volume, its the same volume level as my TV on max, which isn't that loud. 

It's connected through by HDMI into my TV's HDMI (Arc) slot which is what the instructions said to connect it to. 

I've also changed the setting on the app to maximum bass and treble, but same bass level as my TV speakers.

I can change the Sonos volume using my Samsung TV remote but it also doesn't show any volume numbers on the TV just a + and - button.

Doesn’t sound right, the difference is substantial vs TV speakers.

Check you’ve got audio over HDMI on the TV and connect earc if you have it.

On 23/11/2022 at 19:13, ender4 said:

Yep that’s exactly what is happening. I’ll try and solve it tomorrow otherwise will return it 😞

If you're watching Sky on the TV, you might want to check the sound settings on your Sky box.

The standard setting is (I think) 5.1 through HDMI, so with a soundbar only system it treats the bar as the tweeter only rather than channelling all the sound through it.

I appreciate I've written this in a very confident manner, which probably isn't justified. I had a similar problem with my soundbar, though, and it was the Sky Q settings that were causing it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

has anyone tried to use their Sound bar to play vinyl  ?

Mrs h has a heap of vinyl's but we don't' have anything to play them on  , I don't really want to go full stack system and speakers so wondered if i could just Bluetooth / Wifi link a vinyl player to the sound bar and she can listen via that ( she's not a purist , she just want's to listen to stuff that's been in the attic for countless years ) 

some of the vinyl platers have a pre-amp built in , so presumably a pre-amp + the Sound bar would do the job ?

On 23/11/2022 at 16:19, ender4 said:

Just wondering how your getting on with your sonos beam gen 2 did you sort out the sound ? Curious as I've just brought the Beam 2 & am mighty impressed with this, it blows the tv speakers out the water, (my tv is only couple years old)I purposely tried just the sound bar 1st as I brought the mini sub also & added to rear play 1's as rears. But sticking with bar it's an awesome bit of kit stand alone. But when you add the mini sub & rears it's a whole new ball game & when you put Dolby Atmos through the system it's very impressive, it's not actual dolby atoms as you can get that unless you have ceiling speakers but it throws out a virtual height sound which isn't bad, it does need the right source regards sound coming through it. Disney + is great for Dolby Atmos content.

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Just wondering how your getting on with your sonos beam gen 2 did you sort out the sound ? Curious as I've just brought the Beam 2 & am mighty impressed with this, it blows the tv speakers out the water, (my tv is only couple years old)I purposely tried just the sound bar 1st as I brought the mini sub also & added to rear play 1's as rears. But sticking with bar it's an awesome bit of kit stand alone. But when you add the mini sub & rears it's a whole new ball game & when you put Dolby Atmos through the system it's very impressive, it's not actual dolby atoms as you can get that unless you have ceiling speakers but it throws out a virtual height sound which isn't bad, it does need the right source regards sound coming through it. Disney + is great for Dolby Atmos content.

Sounds great.

I took mine back to John Lewis for a refund. Spoke to the tech guy there and he said that Sonos had a lot of random compatibility issues with some TV’s and quite a few get returned. 

That's unfortunate, so you wasn't wrong in what you was hearing from the sonos, shame as if your TV was compatible with the sonos you wouldn't of been disappointed. What did you go with in regards a sound bar ?

10 hours ago, Frodo said:

That's unfortunate, so you wasn't wrong in what you was hearing from the sonos, shame as if your TV was compatible with the sonos you wouldn't of been disappointed. What did you go with in regards a sound bar ?

I decided the sound directly from my TV was good enough lol

On 02/02/2023 at 17:15, tonyh29 said:

has anyone tried to use their Sound bar to play vinyl  ?

Mrs h has a heap of vinyl's but we don't' have anything to play them on  , I don't really want to go full stack system and speakers so wondered if i could just Bluetooth / Wifi link a vinyl player to the sound bar and she can listen via that ( she's not a purist , she just want's to listen to stuff that's been in the attic for countless years ) 

some of the vinyl platers have a pre-amp built in , so presumably a pre-amp + the Sound bar would do the job ?

Yep Just a wired connection to mine. Have to play it "through" the TV as an input though.

• Thanks 1

Â