who's the greatest Brummie ever?

colhint

Me?

I always enjoy watching/listening to Frank Skinner (Black Country though).

So he's my favourite entertainer from Brum

I can't stand the guy...would say jasper carrott (even though a nose) and Lenny Henry were/are far more entertaining than skinner (in my eyes obviously)

Aside from people who have already been mentioned, one from my school days, Sir Josiah Mason springs to mind. A real rags to riches story. Taught himself to read and write, and went on to become a captain of industry, as well as opening an orphanage in Erdington.

Also, although he had a tragically short life, it makes me burst with pride that Harry Moseley was a Brummie. A remarkable young man.

Edited by dAVe80

Boulton. In terms of his impact on life in this country I think it is beyond debate, he was a huge player in the industrial revolution which made Great Britain the country it was and Birmingham the city it is today.

The city seem pretty proud of him too, what with the college, the big fuckoff gold statue of the lad on Broad Street and the huge steam engine at the top end of the expressway. He is on the new £50 note too.

His mate James Watt is probably the greatest adopted brummie too. Same reasons.

Yeah, if I'm being serious, Boulton.

Read Jenny Uglow's book "The Lunar Men" to see why. The Lunar Society of Birmingham was a scientific, intellectual and - importantly - philanthropic powerhouse of 18th C Britain. The name, by the way was from the fact that they met at full moon - to minimise their chances of getting mugged on their (somewhat drunken) way home.

Â