Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

omariqy

Definitely would love a win here, but at the moment this competition should be on the backburner and prioritized quite low considering injuries/league obligations. Would like a team along the lines of:

keeper.png
Given

home.png
Lichaj
home.png
Herd
home.png
Clark
home.png
Stevens

home.png
Holman
home.png
Bannan
home.png
Ireland
home.png
Carruthers

home.png
Bowery
home.png
Benteke

3-2 win.

Edited by LockStockVilla

I don't know why I ever look at Lawro's predictions on the BBC website. He hates Villa with an absolute passion. He has us down to win (a rare event in itself) but he just cannot resist putting the boot it. What a tosser.

Edited by Harry

I can't believe so many are saying they ain't bothered about this game.

Bottom line is, our squad is bereft of confidence and this is a chance to get some back against lower-League, struggling opposition.

I'd put out the strongest team possible and try and smack a few goals in. If a few of them can get a goal or 2 it can only carry confidence and form into the League which is important. What would the point be in playing a team of stiffs who could possibly go out and win comfortably when it's the 'senior' players that need a good kick up the ass?!

I'd go with...

Guzan

Lowton

Clark

Herd

Bennett

Albrighton

Ireland

Delph

Holman

Weimann

Benteke

It sad that we have nothing better in Midfield than some bald wannabe gangsta' and a lightweight child.

On the bench, I'd put Carruthers, D. Williams etc... a few of the younger lads and if, IF, we get a 2 or 3 goal lead, give them a run out in the second half.

In my eyes though, this is a MUST win game purely due to the fact confidence is shot-to-pieces as it is.

If someone said to me you have the choice between:

Beating Ipswich but then losing one of Bradford away/Southampton at home

OR

Losing to Ipswich but beating bradford/Southampton

I'd be taking the latter for sure.

And if we lose to Ipswich then you think that is the right preperation for a relegation scrap the week after?

The whole point of Football is to win every game possible.

We don't have the luxury of being able to rest players like Man City, Man Utd etc... can and we don't have the luxury that our first team is full of confidence that would pick up where it left off if rested.

Therefore, Lambert's selection on Saturday should take roughly 30 seconds to decide - the strongest 'possible' eleven.

And if we lose to Ipswich then you think that is the right preperation for a relegation scrap the week after?

The whole point of Football is to win every game possible.

We don't have the luxury of being able to rest players like Man City, Man Utd etc... can and we don't have the luxury that our first team is full of confidence that would pick up where it left off if rested.

Therefore, Lambert's selection on Saturday should take roughly 30 seconds to decide - the strongest 'possible' eleven.

I can understand the sentiment that you would not like us to lose in the cup; however, many of us do not think it is wise to play full strength due to problems we have already seen with injuries. We play this Saturday, then turn around again for another match on Tuesday for the semifinal away leg, and then are at it again Saturday. That's a fair bit of football in a week's time, and while a win could bring confidence, an injury to a key player would do a lot more to hurt the team than a loss in the FA Cup, imho. Like it or not, there is a dilemma and it is not as straightforward as playing our top squad in every match.

Edited by LockStockVilla

Fully agree with resting people for this. I don't particularly want the extra FA cup games this season if we do progress, when we need to be concentrating on the league.

For me, I'd like to see:

--------------------------- Given --------------------------

Lichaj ------- Herd ------- Clark ------- Williams

Albrighton - Ireland - Johnson - Carruthers

---------- Bowery ----------- Burke ------------

With the regular first team players on the bench, i.e. Guzan, Benteke, Weimann, El Ahmadi, etc.

Edited by Ghost

keeper.png
Given

home.png
Lowton
home.png
Herd
home.png
Clark
home.png
Bennett

home.png
Holman
home.png
Bannan
home.png
Delph
home.png
Nzog (if fit)

home.png
Bowery
home.png
Benteke

Carruthers in on the left if Charlie is out.
Give Weimann a rest as he has done a lot more running than anyone else of late.

Wrong but im really not bothered about this game. Obviously I'll follow it and look out for he score and want us to win as ever. But if we lose I won't be down in the dumps. I just feel our squad isn't big enough to deal with this, the capital one cup and the league.

Irrespective of who takes the field, our recent run of results only inspire other teams.

I would say that it does not matter who our opponents are we have given THEM confidence because of our results, so it's really important that we put out a team that will win for sure and give the confidence back where it belongs.

If we rest half the team and loose this game then it ain't going to do us much good going into are biggest weekend of the season so far,so get the best team out available get some goals in and hopefully build some momentum ready for next week 3-1 villa win!