January Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Richard you have been challenged on your defination of Lambert by other posters as well.

And I have answered them as well, not sure of the point you are trying to make to be honest with this line

Looking at where we are and how the team are playing one can only conclude that Lambert's tenure to date with us has fallen some way short of being brilliant. It hasn't even been satisfactory.

Let's revisit what I said "we have a brilliant manager". Has his time here been brilliant ? Not entirely, there have been brilliant moments and some not so good, but I can accept that as I have an opinion of where we are as a club and the stage of our development and how we can and will progress that is different to yours.

Do I still think we have a brilliant manager? Yes

Yesterday was our hardest league game on paper for the month. Think we could do the month unbeaten and begin february in the league cup final and FA cup 5th round. I have a silly amount of optimism considering the festive period we have endured.

• Like 1

Basically I think it comes down to this:

If you think we have a team of young players who will develop and grow to become great premier league players, also that Lerner will spend substantially in January, you will be optimistic.

If you think we have a team of below par players who are not good enough for the premier league, who have shown themselves to be disorganised in defence and weak in midfield, and that Lerner won't spend any more in January than he can raise for players like Bent and N'Zogbia, you will be pessimistic.

Certainly I have a lower estimation of Lambert's managerial abilities than I did in June last year and I am digging in firmly to the pessimists' camp.

But facts as ever will decide this, not opinions. So the February optimism gauge will be a better place, the March one even better, and so on, because we will increasingly know the answer to some of these questions.

We have a young developing team, we are in a transfer window where I expect us to strengthen, we are in the semi final of one of the three domestic competitions, we have a brilliant manager and we have got rid of houllier and mcduff

This. There are plenty of bright patches among the clouds.

To you maybe.

And I have answered them as well, not sure of the point you are trying to make to be honest with this line

Let's revisit what I said "we have a brilliant manager". Has his time here been brilliant ? Not entirely, there have been brilliant moments and some not so good, but I can accept that as I have an opinion of where we are as a club and the stage of our development and how we can and will progress that is different to yours.

Do I still think we have a brilliant manager? Yes

I was answering your comment quoted above which was 'to you maybe.' Just pointing out that there have been other posters commenting on your opinion of Lambert stating that opinion may be without foundation.

Agree that we look at things differently but still feel that your comment about Lambert being a 'brilliant manager' is some way over the top as there really isn't yet anything to back that comment up yet.

You have unlike the majority of us met Lambert and i appreciate that due to that meeting you might have a better insight of the man but i have to judge what i see on the pitch and where we are in the league table and at the moment he has fallen way short of being brilliant but as i have always maintained, that may well change after his second transfer window where he should be addressing the outstanding weaknesses still within the team.

Edited by Morpheus

The big question for me is can Lambert organise a defence. They were always suspect at Norwich, and even with Vlaar our clean sheets were few and far between. Whilst we leak goals we will never get above halfway - this season or in the future.

i think it'll be a good month for us, we might even get 7 points from our next 3 games. 5 would be great though and be easily enough to pull us away from the bottom 3 a bit.

longer term, i expect to reap the benefits of henke's appointment this month too so that the second half of the season will be much better than the first with more good young talent added to the squad giving us more strenght in depth so we can accomodate injuries better and helping the academy players out so all the weight isn't on their shoulders.

i think we'll finish this season safe with a good few games to go and then we'll really see a paul lambert team emerge from next summer's business and pre-season.

I've always been optimistic that we would spend in January.

The appointment of Henke, the sale of the browns and the abysmal state of our team all indicate that we will spend money this month.

I was excited about the appointment of Lambert but my optimism around him has dropped.

I think the point at Swansea briefly covers up some massive issues we have with the team and not too optimistic we will get decent results in very important games coming up.

We will spend out of necessity in this window. The weaknesses that were there at the start of Lambert's tenure are, by and large, still there and need to be addressed just to keep us in the Premiership.

Not too long ago we were buying players to try and push on into the top four yet our owner will be praised if he opens the cheque book.

I'm normally not one to criticize the chairman but it just shows how far we have fallen in such a short space of time and the fact that Just Premiership survival has become acceptable!

Edited by Morpheus

If we can get a couple of decent players with PL experiance in then we will definately stay up BUT the situation is such that we won't know if we are staying up till 4-5 weeks before the end of the season.

I think we will stay up but only just, same as last season..............I hope this is not going to be a regular thing?!

It's been a spectacularly humiliating month hasn't it... I really want to believe that Paul is the man for us and that this long term transitional period will all come good in the end. With each passing performance lately, I am finding it harder and harder to believe. Worst thing about it - by and large, it's been on TV in front of the world... Live and Exclusive...

Optimisim is at a record low for me... instead I am fearful. I feel embarrassed... I feel deflated... depressed even.

I have a nagging feeling that Saturday's game with Southampton could be the straw to break the camel's back... I sense things will 'get ugly' should we go a goal behind. Maybe seats will flap??

I bet Millwall are rubbing their hands...

--

In 30 yeards time, if I am still alive... when Citeh fans sing - 'where were you when you were shit?' I can honestly say, 'I was right here in it...'

Life is a pigsty...

It's been a spectacularly humiliating month hasn't it... I really want to believe that Paul is the man for us and that this long term transitional period will all come good in the end. With each passing performance lately, I am finding it harder and harder to believe. Worst thing about it - by and large, it's been on TV in front of the world... Live and Exclusive...

Optimisim is at a record low for me... instead I am fearful. I feel embarrassed... I feel deflated... depressed even.

I have a nagging feeling that Saturday's game with Southampton could be the straw to break the camel's back... I sense things will 'get ugly' should we go a goal behind. Maybe seats will flap??

I bet Millwall are rubbing their hands...

--

In 30 yeards time, if I am still alive... when Citeh fans sing - 'where were you when you were shit?' I can honestly say, 'I was right here in it...'

Life is a pigsty...

I have to agree with you Raver.

As positive as I and a few others have been of late despite whats going on with the club, players and results etc. I have to say I am being pushed further and further to the edge but I still just about hang there based on the small chance of us strengthening in January and getting to the Carling Cup Final which time is vastly running out.

It is in no means a way to get stressed over and go all guns blazing while there is still time to strengthen and still a good chance we will make Wembley but I have to be honest the rocks beneath this cliff are slowly starting to crumble away and like Raver says the next result could the the one that does indeed send everyone over the edge.

In no way should this sit on Lamberts shoulders and no way should he be blamed for any of this as we all know that this goes alot further than any manager that stands in our dugout and has done for a number of years now and we are getting pretty tired of it now.

Even a labrador would start to snarl at what we have witnessed happen to this club in the last 3-4 years!

I feel a bad result on Saturday is going to be a case of enough is enough now and could certainly start some very ugly scenes from the fans against the Aston Villa board!

Â