College sports - general chat

leviramsey

*mould - and that's not an America v Anglo thing. Mold grows on stuff.

mold

Etymology 1 (alternative form in Commonwealth: mould)

Via Middle English and Old French, from Latin modulus

Noun

1. A hollow form or matrix for shaping a fluid or plastic substance.

2. A frame or model around or on which something is formed or shaped.

3. Something that is made in or shaped on a mold.

4. The shape or pattern of a mold.

5. General shape or form.

6. Distinctive character or type.

7. A fixed or restrictive pattern or form

Etymology 2

From Middle English mowlde, noun use and alteration of mowled, past participle of moulen, mawlen 'to grow moldy', from Old Norse mygla 'id.' (compare Danish dialect mugle 'id.'), from Proto-Germanic *muglōnan, diminutive and denominative of *mukiz 'soft substance' (compare Old Norse myki, mykr 'cow dung'), from Proto-Indo-European *meuk- 'slick, soft'. More at muck and meek.

A natural substance in the form of a woolly or furry growth of tiny fungi that appears when organic material lies for a long time exposed to (usually warm and moist) air.

If anything, from looking at the etymology, at some point the w/u from the form referring to the fungus disappeared and then within the past couple of hundred years, the w/u shifted to the form/matrix/model.

• 3 weeks later...

Started my college hoops betting tonight.

I now **** hate everything the University of Florida Gators stand for. Gutless. Just rolled over and died against Arkansas. Villa has more bottle.

On another note, those Michigan uniforms tonight against Ohio State... MY EYES!

(fun fact for BerniesElbow: since the start of the 2004-05 season, Ohio State and Michigan have played 29 times in basketball or football... the Buckeyes have won 25 of them)

• 1 month later...

I've commented that the Divisional Weekend of the NFL playoffs is the best weekend of the NFL season for having wall-to-wall games between the best teams.

For college basketball, this weekend is only rivalled by the four days of the rounds of 64 and 32 in the Tournament. This weekend, most of the crap teams in the lesser leagues have been eliminated by now in their league tournaments, and the bigger leagues tend to schedule their expected regular-season title-deciders before their tournaments start this coming week.

Duke @ North Carolina tips off in a couple of hours.

Bit of an upset in the SEC final... Mississippi beats Florida. It was questionable coming into today whether Mississippi would be selected for the tournament (Florida was nailed-on). That takes one spot away from a team on the bubble, and probably also puts Miami in as a top seed.

The other two First Four matchups are tonight (I believe they're live right now on ESPN America in the UK)

LIU Brooklyn vs. James Madison (champions)... JMU beating LIU 27-16 right now

Boise State vs. LaSalle (at large) later on

Â