First Choice XI

omariqy

Hard to know when we're in such a slump and nobody seems to be in form. People tend to have selective memories about players who have been out of the team for a while - when we're playing well, they are crap & good riddance to them, but when we're losing suddenly people think Hutton would be good :huh:

Think we've generally been strongest at the back when it was a back for with Vlaar-Clark in the centre. Dunne might be good for a short term fix, but hard to know how he'll come back. This injury has been worryingly prolonged. Lowton only option for RB, while LB could be Bennett or Stevens, not sure we've seen either enough to know. Westwood-Bannan was best CM combo we've used, though it's clear that they are not ready to play every game & keep up their level of performance. If they were fresh & on form they'd be my choice. Similar story with Weimann-Benteke-Agbonlahor, but again I think it's the best we've got. Final place is between Ireland, Holman or N'Zogbia and I'd rather the former though it's getting hard to retain belief in him. That would leave pretty much the team vs Man Utd (of course it is also pretty much the team that lost 5-0 at Man City, but there's no-one who's played this season who isn't tainted with bad results!):

Guzan

Lowton-Vlaar-Clark-Bennett

Westwood-Bannan

Weimann-Ireland-Agbonlahor

Benteke

Bench: Given, Baker, Herd, Holman, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Bent

Win vs Swansea

keeper.png
Guzan 1

home.png
Lowtan 1
home.png
Vlaar 1
home.png
Clark 1
home.png
Lichaj 1

home.png
El Ahmadi 1
home.png
Bannan 1
home.png
Holman 1

home.png
Ireland 1

home.png
Weimann 1
home.png
Bent 1

Win vs Sunderland

keeper.png
Guzan 2

home.png
Lowtan 2
home.png
Vlaar 2
home.png
Clark 2
home.png
Lichaj 2

home.png
Westwood 1
home.png
Bannan 2

home.png
Agbonlahor 1
home.png
Ireland 2

home.png
Weimann 2
home.png
Benteke 1

Win vs Reading (when only goal scored)

keeper.png
Guzan 3

home.png
Lowtan 3
home.png
Clark 3
home.png
Baker 1
home.png
Lichaj 3

home.png
Albrighton 1
home.png
Westwood 2
home.png
Bannan 3

home.png
Ireland 3

home.png
Weimann 3
home.png
Benteke 2

Win vs Liverpool

keeper.png
Guzan 4

home.png
Lowtan 4
home.png
Herd 1
home.png
Clark 4
home.png
Baker 2
home.png
Lichaj 4

home.png
Westwood 3
home.png
Bannan 4

home.png
Weimann 4
home.png
Holman 2

home.png
Benteke 3

Six players present for every victory...

Guzan, Lowtan, Clark, Lichaj, Bannan, Weimann.

(Five of them ex-reserve teamers. Chemistry, anyone?).

--------------Guzan-------------

Lowton--Vlaar--Clark--Bennett

--Holman-Westwood-Bannan--

--Weimann--Benteke--Gabby

And I'd say, Holman, Bannan, Clark and Gabby* should be on the bench and new players should come in.

So that is a new CB, two midfielders and a striker/winger. Not looking likely.

*If Gabby finds form then he should be on the right alongside Benteke with a new player on the left.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

balls out...

keeper.png
guzan

home.png
clark
home.png
vlaar
home.png
baker

home.png
albrighton
home.png
westwood
home.png
bannan
home.png
nzogbia

home.png
weimann
home.png
benteke
home.png
gabby

It looks very good on paper but if you think we conceded a lot of goals previously, I can only imagine how many we'd concede with Albrighton and N'Zogbia as our wingbacks.

...........................Guzan .........................

Herd ....Vlaar .....Dunne .......Warnock

Albrighton ....Petrov ....Bannan ...Gabby

...........Bent .....Weiman............

On the bench: Given,Benteke,Lowton,Ireland,El Ahmadi

It looks very good on paper but if you think we conceded a lot of goals previously, I can only imagine how many we'd concede with Albrighton and N'Zogbia as our wingbacks.

yeah, i did say it was balls out! i'd like us to try a proper 3-4-3 though seeing as we've played a few games with 3 at the back.

Guzan

Lowton-Vlaar-Baker-Lichaj

Westwood

Holman-Ireland-Bannan

Bent-Weimann

I actually think Bent-Weimann worked pretty well in the first few games, good link-up play in and around the box. Benteke is too inconsistent, and we tend to play more hoofball with him, when really I don't think that's the best way to retain possession, because even though he tends to win them, we still end up losing the ball.

And I don't know why Lichaj gets such a bad rep, he does okay at LB, he's defensively solid, whereas Bennett is a severe liability. You rewatch the Spurs game, during the second half, almost none of the attacks came down the right, most came down the left and through the centre.Why? because Bennett was the weak link in our defense and they targeted that area as he's constantly being sucked into the centre and then doesn't have the pace to recover when the ball is played out wide back to his flank.

And Vlaar-Baker instead of Vlaar-Clark because Baker has shown to be the better defender in the past few games.

Edited by Alpaywasawesome

Â