Would a new super rich owner change your view of Villa?

clayton8321

The reason I ask is because for some time now a lot of Villa supports want Lerner to sell the club. I recently came across a Man City fan who now supports Bradford because as he once supported the Blues he didn't like the fact that if the club were to win a trophy, it would feel more "bought" then anything else. It didn't seem earned. He says he was happy to see City win the Premier League crown, but he wasn't estatic.

I'll admit, I've come across Chelski and City supporters who boast about their success but I respond with the usual, "bought" response, just to shut their gloryhunter mouth up Is it jealousy or reality? I don't know.. but if Bill Gates were to buy Villa and we'd start winning titles, I would still support VIlla just as much and boast, but feel a bit hypercritical.

We all want rich owners who will invest heavily. Heck, I thought we had one when Lerner took over. However, some rich owners are richer than others and I guess there must be some invisible cut off line between 'earning it' with a rich owner and 'buying it' with a rich owner.

One thing is for certain, a high degree of richness is now a necessity if any club is to have the slightest chance of winning anything.

Long gone are the days when the likes of Ron Saunders could win the league with just 14 players and the most expensive one being a mere £500,000.

dont forget that club made on the back on man utd, cant remember what its called now, something something of manchester, i once went to a burger van in manchester, the guy recognised my accent and asked me what team i supported, he then told me why he stopped supporting man utd

i cant see anyone coming to buy villa at the moment, randy is basically stuck with us, so hes going to have to spend, nobody will want to buy this club the state it is in

but no, my opinion wouldnt change, it would be nice to buy a trophy or buy the league, its better than fighting relegation, nor would i give a flying fu ck what other supporters would say, wed have a cup or league title, whos cares if its bought, wed only be copying man utd, chelsea or man city

dont forget that club made on the back on man utd, cant remember what its called now, something something of manchester, i once went to a burger van in manchester, the guy recognised my accent and asked me what team i supported, he then told me why he stopped supporting man utd

i cant see anyone coming to buy villa at the moment, randy is basically stuck with us, so hes going to have to spend, nobody will want to buy this club the state it is in

but no, my opinion wouldnt change, it would be nice to buy a trophy or buy the league, its better than fighting relegation, nor would i give a flying fu ck what other supporters would say, wed have a cup or league title, whos cares if its bought, wed only be copying man utd, chelsea or man city

I guess you can add any "massive" club to that occasion. That's why, although it wouldn't happen in a billion years, I'm really rooting for Atletico Madrid this season. So why did the guy stop supporting Man United?

I guess my answer depends on the type of owner we get, in terms of what they do for the community and how much time as well as money they put into the club.

To be honest though, in a lot of ways Randy Lerner is a good custodian for this football club, and whilst I would like to see a team full of high calibre footballers, I'd happily support Villa forever whether we were challenging for the Premier League or the Blue Square Premier.

Oil billionaires should buy every club. Level the playing field and get rid of the pecking order, which is becoming stultifying. Just one more super rich club is such a unilateral solution to a club's problems. Increase the unpredictability (viz. excitement) of the Premier League.

Edited by deck

Every club that wins the premier league has bought it and spent a shit ton of cash to get where they are.

Give me a bloke with a ton of cash and us actually winning some games all day long. London and Manchester have billionaire owners, the West Midlands area has to be next and Id think it would be us. I hope.

couldnt give a shit as long as we win stuff

Really?

I honestly couldn't give a shit whether we win anything or not. It's the crushing pain of acceptance that we probably won't that I'm finding hard to stomach right now. I'll love this club till the day I do, even if they move the **** thing to Milton Keynes. I'd follow. No AFC Aston Villa for me, there will only ever be one. Ever

Which club has ever won anything and they have earned it not bought it n one way or another? As long as there has been transfers of players for fees then having the most money has been the name of the game. Money to attract the best manager or coach or scout, money to buy the best players. Just that it is so pronounced now, that money is at a higher level Han it has ever been.

When we won the league sure our most expensive player was 500k but he wasn't the only one we had bought. Was our manager and his team 'home grown in Aston '? . What wages and bonuses were they on? Huge amounts for he time iirc.

I support villa and always will. I do want us to win things though in my lifetime but that will take real money at some stage for it to be consistent , even if it is money just to retain the good players we have developed

I dont think we will break away and call ourselfs Fc Villa Of Aston!.. But we cant be run anymore micky mouse than we have been in the last 6-7 years.

Jesus, I hope doug aint spent all the cash and is gonna make an offer to dumb and dumber to get our club back!..

Edited by sutherland

To be honest these days mega rich bastards cant buy you the league any more. Mega rich people can get you competing with the other top teams who also have mega rich bastards running them and give you a "chance" to win the league

I would much rather compete with the likes of man utd, man city and Chelsea than the likes of Wigan, QPR and reading

Even with super-rich owners, it wouldn't be easy to buy trophies. We'd have to build a side, who would need time to gel, which would take time. Then we'd still have to compete with Man United, Man City and Chelsea domestically, while Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs will usually provide further competition for the top four spots. If we were to get into Champions League, then we'd still have to prove ourselves better than several fantastic teams from across Europe.

However, for the reasons above, I don't think we're going to see too many more mega-rich foreign owners coming in, especially if they're expecting to win something very quickly. There's so much competition that you could easily spend the best part of half a billion quid over a couple of seasons and not necessarily bring in any major trophies. This is clearly a major factor in why Randy has, understandably, decided to stop throwing money at the club.

Also, while Man City have spent far more than they've made, they have still done a lot to improve various areas of the club and community. I don't think Mancini will be there come the start of next season, but the owners have stuck with him so far and not been in the limelight for poor decisions. They certainly don't seem to be running the club as a rich man's plaything, and while I don't like the fact that they can just come in with money that effectively blew us and other clubs way off course, they do seem like fantastic owners when you look at it impartially.

Â