Rating and Reactions: Villa 0-3 Wigan

limpid

First chance I've had to post since getting back yesterday. Here's my view from the very top of the North.

Guzan 6 - Did alright, didn't have a lot to do really as Wigan weren't great but seemed more hesitant than usual. Couldn't do anything with any of the goals I don't think.

Lowton 6 - Decent. But is not a CB and was often on the right hand side leaving massive gaps behind.

Herd 1 - Herd is not and never has been a CB. Especially not the central one in a 3 piece where everything is going to go through. He had a shocker and he knew it.

Clark 4 - Doesn't get a 1 because even though he was awful at the back and between him, Lowton and Herd Wigan carved through us with ease twice, he actually got tight and physical on Wigan players. No-one else but Clark pressed.

Lichaj 3 - I normally like Lichaj as he doesn't give an inch. He was committed but the quality just wasn't there yesterday.

Bennett 5 - Did OK and unfairly gets singled out as poor when in fact he's no worse than the rest.

Bannan 7 - I thought he was always ready to receive the ball, always found his man, didn't do a Hollywood ball when a simpler pass was on and was probably our best player over the 90.

Ireland 5 - Needed him to produce some magic, which he didn't. Couldn't find a way through the Wigan bus and suffered from the same poor decision making as the rest.

Holman 3 - No energy, so nothing to his game outside of that.

Benteke 0.5 - Lazy, couldn't be arsed, head turned, injured(?), whatever, utter shit. Won a few headers in the 2nd half which got him the .5 extra.

Weimann 4 - Couldn't feed off Benteke as he was missing, but he couldn't do it by himself either.

Subs:

KEA 8 - The 3 subs completely swung the play in our favour. KEA was instrumental in this and was moving the ball quickly and efficiently being a lot more direct than anyone else had been so far. I thought he was excellent in the limited time he was on.

Albrighton 6 - Tried, huffed and puffed but not enough quality to do any damage. He needs an opposite winger such as Stewart Downing for his overhit crosses to go to.

Bowery ? - Absolutely no idea of a score but he seemed to do at least a lot more than Benteke and drove at the defence a couple of times.

Wigan didn't do a lot apart from park the bus, get very physical and close us down quickly. Martinez got it spot on with his tactics that they should close our players down quickly as they would be terrified, especially with the home crowd. We gave them 3 goals with Benteke not being bothered to mark someone at a corner, then 6 players letting 1 Wigan player run straight through them. Perhaps they were under orders to take it easy and not give unnecessary free-kicks away but someone should have been taking both of those players down. They were direct, running at our defence, and every time one of our players got in the same position they were so scared about doing anything wrong they would kick it wide to a full-back or go backwards.

I put pretty much all of our troubles in this game down to confidence, timidity and poor preparation, leading to very poor decision making.

Contrary to most, I thought Herd was solid. In the first half particularly, his positioning was great. Got lost in the second but I don't believe a back 3 made up of a fullback, a midfielder and only one CB would keep out any PL team.

Â