R.I.P. Václav Drobný

BOF

Story

Villa saddened at death of former player Drobny

0,,10265~11518798,00.jpg

Villa are saddened to hear of the sudden death of former player Vaclav Drobny.

Drobny, 32, signed a season-long loan at Villa in August 2004 from Racing Strasbourg.

He played in the opening four friendlies of that campaign, the 6-0 win over Klungshams, the 7-2 win over Kungsbacka, the 3-0 defeat of Jonkoping Sodra and the 0-0 draw with Orgryte.

The Czech Republic international had impressed then boss David O'Leary in a trial before heading off to Sweden for the pre-season games.

He said at the time: "This is the biggest opportunity of my football career.

"It has always been a dream to play in England and when I was young I always wanted to play here in the Premier League. To be given a chance at a big club like Aston Villa is amazing."

Unfortunately, he never quite fitted into the manager's plans and failed to make a senior competitive appearance for the club, although he played 24 times for the reserves in their second-place finish in the league.

He then moved to Sparta Prague with whom he won the Czech league title in 2007 before switching to play in a Prague regional division.

Drobny tragically died this morning in a sledding accident.

He skidded off a piste and crashed into a tree in the Czech winter resort of Spindleruv Mlyn, some 140 kilometres north-east of Prague.

Our thoughts are with his family at this very sad time.

Just heard that Vaclav Drobny has been killed in a sledding accident in Czech Republic - it's on the Villa Twitter and in the news section on Google. Shocking news. Never played a first team game for us but he was still part of Aston Villa for a season. Really sad news, RIP.

I don't know why I remember Vaclav so well. I mentioned him to a friend over the past couple of weeks. I think it's because when he signed I created him on FIFA 2000 and made him excellent. That is terribly sad

Bit of a shocker that, just goes to show you never now when your time could be. I know he never played a competitive game for us but in my opinion he's still part of the Villa family and my heart and prayers go out to him and his family. He's now playing in the big super stadium in the sky......

RIP Vaclav my thoughts go out to his friends and family at this tough time. I remember when he signed for us and thought he would be good for us, the guy was unfortunate to join the club when Laursen and Mellberg were in their prime, the sad thing is he would probably walk into our side these days and improve it greatly.

Â