Doctor Who

mikeyp102

Have watched DW for many many years now but this series has possibly been the worst I have watched. It's not Smith's or Coleman's fault. Its the new writer. The stories have been crap and much too intricate. Too f**king smart for it's own good.

A lot of people on twitter moaning they didn't understand that episode, it wasn't that difficult and I am personally glad Moffat doesn't cater to stupid people. 

From what I gathered..

John Hurt is an earlier regeneration of the Doctor that we have never seen on the show before. He hasn't counted as a 'Doctor' because something within his personality or his actions meant that he couldn't adopt the name 'doctor' because he didn't deserve it.

So Matt Smith is the 11th Doctor, but not the 11th regeneration.

And no, as I saw one very stupid person ask, the Doctor's real name is not John Hurt.

• Like 1

I think he'll be the ’real’ ninth Doctor.

The one responsible for ending The Time War and committing acts that the latter Doctors have been ashamed of.

Just my tuppence worth.

• Like 2

Have watched DW for many many years now but this series has possibly been the worst I have watched. It's not Smith's or Coleman's fault. Its the new writer. The stories have been crap and much too intricate. Too f**king smart for it's own good.

I'll start this with a double caveat, I'm no sci fi fan and I'm no in depth critic.

I've had a double bill of the Star Trek movie and then a race home to watch Dr Who today.

Star trek I thought was ok for sci fi. It did what was expected of it, no character exploration (in fact just sort of lookalikes from the tv series mostly)  no depth of plot no clever dialogue. I was clearly in the minority because 'jokes' like asking if Spock's ears were burning got a big laugh. To me it was standard goody vs baddy fare. It was standard good ol' USA vs baddy. If you squinted a little you could see good ol' US of A versus Al Qaeda. A baddy from the past with violent old ideas that need to be stopped. But we shouldn't just send out a death squad should we, should we? Anyway, the good guys decide justice is better. But hey, some of the good guys were secretly after a war all along the bastards. They aren't us, they are bad guys pretending to be us good guys.

I actually dropped my head when it became clear they were going to do a version of the whole 9/11 thing. That was a bit, er, lacking in imagination. But a great special effect so chuck it in.

Then it was home for Dr Who. I thought it was a story where you actually needed to invest a bit of thinking. A couple of monsters, a bit of special effect, some running around, some decent comedy from the potato head guy.

For me, the script writing of Who was head and shoulders above Trek.

But like I say, not my fave genre so what do I know.

Edited by chrisp65

I was never fan of The Time War and "Let's write out all other Time Lords", one of the few things I hated about the new Doctor Who but it'll be very interesting to see what they're gonna do with this one. The Last Time Lord has imo always been very much "meh" and made The Doctor seem a tad mopey.

Edit: Meant that the idea of The Last Time Lord has been meh, not The Doctor who's always been amazing.

Edited by Jarpie

Liked the Clara storyline, very clever and now that she has been with the doctor all throughout the his history, surely she is the perfect companion for the doctor..

Be interesting to see how they play out the John Hurt character, especially as Tennant is also back in the next episode. Ive never seen any of the series' pre eccelstone so don't know a lot about how the doctor was before etc.. From a few reviews etc it seems that Hurt will be the 9th doctor which has been deliberately forgotten due to his actions during the time war...this will move the most recent doctors on one.. Isn't there meant to be only 13 regenerations? Does that mean they will end series soon or rework the regeneration story?

The series hasn't been amazing, but ok.. However still has left some questions unanswered.. Who/what caused the tardis to explode causing the cracks in time? Trenzalore was meant to be the fall of the 11th, but Smith would now seem to be 12th..so what else happened there? Are the silence still about?

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Hiddleston's name has been thrown around of late and personally I think he'd make a good doctor. Although Moffat will likely cast a relative nobody and he will be brilliant. 

One strange name that has been floating around is Billie Piper which makes absolutely no sense. Even if we could remember her as Rose, she still would be an awful doctor. I don't want the doctor to suddenly change sexes. 

Â