Doctor Who

mikeyp102

Just now, DK82 said:

Only the second to do so tbf, can't blame him for missing it (and the first was a comment made in an episode, so it wasn't seen)

Seeing as there are only two Time Lords now, and this has been extensively re-covered in the most recent series, I think my comment was fair.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

Seeing as there are only two Time Lords now, and this has been extensively re-covered in the most recent series, I think my comment was fair.

There are not only two timelords now. Spoilers.

just remembered there was another male to female. Last season. A different timelord. Last 3 regenerations all male to female. 

Edited by DK82

Coursair - unseen 2014

The General - on TV - 2016

Missy - unseen - on TV - 2015

The Doctor - on TV - 2017

Spoiler

Gallifrey returned in 2016, but it was around in 2015 as it granted the Doctor another set of regenerations after he had used up the rest. 

Edited by DK82

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Well I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

But..........Why not keep him a bloke as that's what he's always been - (yes yes an alien etc, but a bloke) - and invent a brand new sci fi character with a female lead ?

Because it's Doctor Who. It's got an established fanbase, some of whom will watch regardless of anything they do to the main character, so trying something a bit different is still far less of a risk than gambling on a brand new character with zero brand recognition.

As a sci-fi fan in general and a Doctor Who fan in particular, I couldn't care less if the Doctor's a woman now. The ability of timelords to regenerate as a different sex is firmly established in the show's lore, so as long as she's a decent actress I don't see what the big deal is. All she needs is some decent scripts, and frankly that's more of a worry than anything else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villanun said:

Because it's Doctor Who. It's got an established fanbase, some of whom will watch regardless of anything they do to the main character, so trying something a bit different is still far less of a risk than gambling on a brand new character with zero brand recognition.

As a sci-fi fan in general and a Doctor Who fan in particular, I couldn't care less if the Doctor's a woman now. The ability of timelords to regenerate as a different sex is firmly established in the show's lore, so as long as she's a decent actress I don't see what the big deal is. All she needs is some decent scripts, and frankly that's more of a worry than anything else.

It's also in lore that he could have two heads (9th Doctor) or even green (10th, I think), I doubt we'll see either.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I assume you don't watch it. Several series ago the doctor's nemesis (also a Time Lord) regenerated from a male to a female.

I watch it on and off - really liked Matt Smiths one, lately not so much, but I did know the Master had become a woman.  Didnyt really like that for the same reason, not a big issue with me, I mean, you know, they can do what they like - why not have female daleks too ?  Or make them out of Wool ?  Or have Cybermen made out of jelly ? Because that's not what they are - until they are I guess...

23 minutes ago, Villanun said:

Well I've no issue with any of it - least of all whether the lore allows it......its only pretend so from that point of view even if the lore didn't currently allow it they can introduce new lore. 

Not sure I have much truck witthe opening sentence - if that's the reason its lazy - new programs are invented all the time and if they are any good they get a strong fanbase.

Just now, terrytini said:

Well I've no issue with any of it - least of all whether the lore allows it......its only pretend so from that point of view even if the lore didn't currently allow it they can introduce new lore. 

Not sure I have much truck witthe opening sentence - if that's the reason its lazy - new programs are invented all the time and if they are any good they get a strong fanbase.

I’ve got a great idea for a new sci-fi show, strong female lead. Might have to write it.

I really don't care the next doctor is going to be a woman. As long as the show is entertaining, the doctor can be airbud. 

Jodie is an interesting choice though. She is a great actress, but I have never seen her in a role that made me think she could be the doctor. She always had serious parts, so maybe she will be a pleasant surprise. 

I was unaware of JW, just seen her for the first time. And my reaction is: I don't mind a female doctor, but she's too young and good looking. 

Which brings me back to my preferred choice of Olivia Coleman (not unattractive, but much more of a 'character actor' type). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I was unaware of JW, just seen her for the first time. And my reaction is: I don't mind a female doctor, but she's too young and good looking. 

Which brings me back to my preferred choice of Olivia Coleman (not unattractive, but much more of a 'character actor' type). 

Have to admit, I have always had a thing for JW. OC is fab, definitely more of a character actor.

10 hours ago, terrytini said:

I watch it on and off - really liked Matt Smiths one, lately not so much, but I did know the Master had become a woman.  Didnyt really like that for the same reason, not a big issue with me, I mean, you know, they can do what they like - why not have female daleks too ?  Or make them out of Wool ?  Or have Cybermen made out of jelly ? Because that's not what they are - until they are I guess...

There has been at least one female dalek. Cybermen are made out of humans of either sex. Daleks are made out of jelly.

Â