skarroki

On 12/03/2019 at 19:24, Xela said:

Thread resurrection. 

Anyone been to Shenzhen? Worth a visit? 

Yes ..and No

it was my entry point into China when I took the train from Hong Kong to China yonks ago  ... its about a 2 hour journey  so you could enter via that route if its cheaper / easier to fly to HK   ... Shenzhen doesn't have a lot of international connections , though BKK and KL are two of them if you wanted to fly in via those  and avoid domestic China flights

no idea what is there to see or do though I'm afraid

yeah shenzhen seems a strange place to want to go!

came across it doing my dissertation at uni, it was the city that started it all...the 1st special economic zone, so id expect it to be well developed however very much in the shadow of hong kong and guangzhou (the SEZ is only for 10 years and i think it shot up in the 80s so its all "new" but not as new as other parts of china) ts another one these chinese huge places no one seems to have heard of, its a big place, it doesnt have the history that other chinese cities have

you can use it as a base for HK, guangzhou and macao and i think travel north to yangshuo (but you would be better doing that from guilin)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you can use it as a base for HK

been a while since i was in HK but wouldn't  they treat leaving "China" to go to HK as needing a multiple entry visa  in order to return to "China" ?

Edit : - though if they treat HK as a third country then you could qualify for visa on arrival , i did it in Beijing last year , going from Beijing to Pyongyang back to Beijing  for a few more days before returning home  .. worth checking as it might not be available throughout China 

Edited by tonyh29

Looking at combining it with HK. Shenzhen seems to be the tech capital of Asia now and one of the fastest growing cities. Seems to be a very young and dynamic city and will soon overtake HK in GDP according to reports.

It just looked a fun place. They have huge electronics markets as well, which you can seemingly get anything. Also the HQ of Huawei and I believe all iPhones are made there as well? 

I think if you are visiting from HK you can get a visa on arrival, which is valid for a set time. 

yeah because its a SEZ* a load of foreign investment came in to the city but because its the original SEZ its quite well developed in terms of workers rights and wages etc so its not the feast and famine of some other chinese cities plus then because the government moved a lot of the SEZs on to different parts of the country, mainly inland now, a lot of the migrant workers who travelled for the far flung outreaches of china and flooded the city have been able to go back home (and quietly because they dont like to admit it the likes of apple have moved a fair chunk of their operations to the new SEZs whilst keeping the base at the likes of shenzhen)

looking at it lonely planet has shenzhen down as 2nd place as best places to visit in 2019

* the special economic zones were designed to encourage foreign investment, im pretty sure the first ones were tax free for 10 years, so if you're a big american tech firm you get the cheap chinese labour and no tax...its what caused the country to boom

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xela said:

I think if you are visiting from HK you can get a visa on arrival, which is valid for a set time. 

there is a 5 day voa but double check that as I think it's only if you arrive by plane or boat ..... in case you were considering the train option 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

there is a 5 day voa but double check that as I think it's only if you arrive by plane or boat ..... in case you were considering the train option 

Will do - I only briefly researched it but seemed that VOA was available on one land border (Lo Wu?) and wasn't available for ferry arrivals. Seems to change monthly! Ferry would be preferable as it was stress free when we did HK to Macau last year. 

• 2 years later...

Probably nothing, right?

China urges families to keep stocks of daily necessities ahead of winter

SHANGHAI/BEIJING, Nov 2 (Reuters) - The Chinese government has told families to keep daily necessities in stock in case of emergencies, after COVID-19 outbreaks and unusually heavy rains that caused a surge in vegetable prices raised concerns about supply shortages.

The commerce ministry directive late on Monday stirred some concern on domestic social media that it may have been triggered by heightened tensions with Taiwan, while some said people were rushing to stock up on rice, cooking oil and salt.

"As soon as this news came out, all the old people near me went crazy panic buying in the supermarket," wrote one user on China's Twitter-like Weibo.

Local media has also recently published lists of recommended goods to store at home including biscuits and instant noodles, vitamins, radios and flashlights.

The public response forced state media on Tuesday to try to soothe fears and clarify the ministry's statement.

The Economic Daily, a Communist Party-backed newspaper, told netizens not to have "too much of an overactive imagination" and that the directive's purpose was to make sure citizens were not caught off guard if there was a lockdown in their area.

The People's Daily said the ministry issues such notices every year, but had issued its instruction earlier this year because of natural disasters, the surge in vegetable prices and recent COVID-19 cases.

The ministry's statement late on Monday urged local authorities to do a good job in ensuring supply and stable prices, and to give early warnings of any supply problems.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-urges-families-keep-stores-daily-needs-ahead-winter-2021-11-02/

• 1 year later...

Has anyone visited Xinjiang? I'm going there next month, probably for a couple of weeks. While I've got some recommendations from students who come from there, the Chinese way of doing tourism differs quite a lot from mine so I'm curious if anyone has experience of the place. I'd like to get out in to wilderness, more interested in hiking, running, cycling etc than food and culture. I'd especially appreciate ideas on how to get around, as the trains don't reach a lot of places and there are few high speed trains in the province. 

• Like 1

Â