Rating and Reactions: Villa - Spurs

limpid

Apart from the 5 minutes after half time, we had absolutely nothing going forward. Midfield were nowhere to be seen for most of the game. No creativity and no real threats up front. Benteke won headers but nothing ever came of it, other than that he was very poor today. Not a good day, move in and hopefully spend some wonga in January on experienced and talented players.

It's ok though, the lads are young and hungry. That is all that counts.....

Worst Villa team I have ever seen. Embarassed by Lambert and his crap kids. **** Off Lerner

Edited by R.I.C.O.

They dominated us. Had 75% possession,15 corners. In my book that is not matching a team.

Yes I wouldn't deny that. Don't think they had a clear chance though? We were frustrating them then we came out 2nd half had a good 5 mins got hit on the break then self imploded .

We actually matched them (almost) first half, then capitulated without Westwood .

Ay? We conceded 15 corners and they had 10 shots to our 1 corner and 1 sort of cross come shot. I spent most of the first half trying to connect to the villa park WiFi so I could vent my anger in here.

This was a particularly hard defeat to take, not because we lost, we lose a lot but because our pride just sapped away as the game went on, it was a truly terrible performance, as bad as any i've seen from a top flight team in a very, very long time. We were unable to get close to them, even get the ball and on the rare occasions that we did we were unable to keep possession for more than a few seconds, it's hard to accept sometimes that they do this for a living.

I genuinely thought that the defeat against Chelsea would have a devastating effect on the team because losing so badly starts to instil a psychological issue, people begin to question stuff, Lambert starts to question stuff, then there's all sorts of confusion, pulling in different directions. 8-0 score lines just can't happen but today we saw a team obliterated in confidence as a result and just simply moving around the pitch not knowing why they were there or what they were meant to do. It was an incredibly soul destroying performance.

Without being a doom-monger it's hard to see at the moment how the team will recover from these two defeats, we desperately need leaders, strong characters in the dressing room and I don't know if we have them. I, like loads of people are happy at what Lambert is trying to forge here but it concerns me greatly that he believes he can do something, in such a tough league with such little experience and fragility.

There are no positives whatsoever to take from the last two games, they will learn nothing from this, yet we're all carrying this humiliation that's been served up in front of the viewing world. An extraordinary Christmas and a re-think on the current strategy is very much needed in the coming weeks before any more serious damage is inflicted on the club and its fans.

Edited by nobler

Meh

We are a reserve team, simple as. Lambert also seems unwilling to get stuck into the players, not being as good as the other team is one thing, but not showing heart and capitulating like that for two games in a row is just not on.

I just don t understand what Lambert is trying to do tactically - are we really so bad that this is the best formation/team we can put out? No.

The beach is calling - there are some pluses to being 12 thousand miles away -4:30am shite football is not one of them.

Not saying we'd win with the below, but we'd stand a chance in hell which we don't now.

------------ Benteke

--- Gabby Ireland Weimann

---------- Westwood

Bennett --- Herd ---- Lowton

------Vlaar Clark Baker

------------ Guzan

One step forward and two steps back. Terrible performance and a terrible 3 days to be a Villa supporter. We just can't compete with top 6 sides.

I can't really point the finger at Lambert. I'm not sure he has any options to change things. When Baker went off he had very few alternatives. Vlaar, Gabby and Weimann would all have played if fit. We desperatley need re-inforcements in the window.

Herd gives 100% but doesn't have the composure required, KEA was anonymous and whilst Ireland has some good touches he doesnt look ready to roll his sleeves up. Lowton showed his inexperience today

I'm sure there will be a clamour for Lambert's head but I can't see what more could be done with the resources available. The differences in the two squads shows how much we have let things slide in the last 3 years. Serious investment is required.

I had hoped for 5 points from Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan and we could come out of that run with 6 points but the last two terrible results could be very costly for team morale. I think we really need to get behind the team against Wigan - 3 points here is essential to our season and to our PL survival

Meh

We are a reserve team, simple as. Lambert also seems unwilling to get stuck into the players, not being as good as the other team is one thing, but not showing heart and capitulating like that for two games in a row is just not on.

I just don t understand what Lambert is trying to do tactically - are we really so bad that this is the best formation/team we can put out? No.

The beach is calling - there are some pluses to being 12 thousand miles away -4:30am shite football is not one of them.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what Lambert could have done?

What formation and team would you have put out??

We are trying to compete with CL-level teams with an inadequate squad - we need investment now

Seeing this thread, I doubt I want to hurt myself so much that I will watch the game. I taped it because I have been on a family dinner.

Well, maybe I want to torture myself, just to see how bad it was.

If you like seeing Gareth Bale celebrating and listening to Spuds fans 'oleing' every pass for the last twenty minutes then go ahead. I wouldn't be able to sit through that again.

Utterly dispiriting. Players looked downbeat walking out onto the pitch and played like it first half as Spurs were completely dominant. Needed a reaction after the 8-0 and really didn't get it. Brief spell after half time when it looked like we might be past the worst and might be able to get something from the game but as soon as we conceded it was back to zero-confidence & no way back.

The only plus for the next few games is that we won't be up against such strong opposition as Chelsea & Spurs, who are capable of being so ruthless once ahead. Got to find some confidence from somewhere, can't let this 4 day spell be season-defining.

To play 3-5-2 you need three good CB's. We had one good one, one okay one and one who is, at best, a midfielder.Then the good one got injured.

You need excellent full backs. Lowton is very good, but didn't have his best day and is never great at crossing. Bennett is not ready for the PL.

You need good midfielders who can win the ball, keep the ball and create attacking chances. KEA and Delph are/were useless in all three departments. Ireland was good for two out of three. Didn't notice Westwood, but others said he had an off day.

And you need a good strike partnership. Holman is very average, and we knew that already. What in ****'s name has happened to Benteke is anybody's guess. Even I know how the bloody offside rule works.

So 12 unanswered goals in two games. Nice.

BUT I don't think the situation is beyond rescue by any means. Baker/Clark/Vlaar will be a very good unit. Lowton is a good player and will have better days. Lichaj is okay for now while we wait to see if Bennett can improve (hopefully in the reserves). Weimann and Gabby (on his good days) will improve the attack when they're back, and Benteke has proved that he has it in him somewhere.

We've known all season that midfield is a problem, and Lambert will address this in January. He'll probably get a CB in as well.

People blaming Lambert for it all need to realise how limited his options have been, and remember that his success rate with signings has been an impressive 75% or so. We don't know who he's lined up in January, and for all we know he was giving those on their way out one last chance. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he does in January.

In Lambert I trust. For now at least.

• Like 1

Â