Jump to content

U.S. Politics


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

So, is the US President able to absolve anybody of any crime just by declaring them pardoned?

First they need to be convicted, none of these criminals will be convicted before his term is up. But yes, in theory.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Bit of a conundrum here, and one I went through 4 years ago when Toby Keith played the inauguration. You see Johnny Cash aside, country music singer Toby Keith is without exception my favourite country singer. Through thick and thin, fallow and feast I throw money at that man. CDs, DVDs, Tshirts. He has my money. He will continue to have my money. 
That said, he received a congressional medal of the arts yesterday, from Trump, whilst Rome was burning. Its the old separate the art from the artist issue. You would think whilst he was being impeached Trump would have more important matters to mull over than to honour the Red Solo Cup guy. 
Feel free to have a go at my music taste as a centre left Toby Keith fan I understand the paradox. 
 

A little ammunition 

 

Well as you know, I like country/Americana, but that is crap. The musical style is sort of OK - although massively generic - but the lyrics are puke-inducing. 

The message matters to me. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Well as you know, I like country/Americana, but that is crap. The musical style is sort of OK - although massively generic - but the lyrics are puke-inducing. 

The message matters to me. 

 

 

Wouldn’t expect anything else Mike. I am OK with it but I think to british and some american ears, thats the reaction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

First they need to be convicted, none of these criminals will be convicted before his term is up. But yes, in theory.

Not true, he can pardon before even charged never mind convicted.  @Wainy316 

His pardon can be for any activities that would incur Federal charges from January 6th Capitol riots.  They can’t be pardoned from state charges by Trump.

He’s also almost certain to issue, before he leaves next week, blanket Pardons for his family for Federal activities during his presidency even though no charges have been charged against them or even known at this stage.  Kind of makes you think that why do they need pardons if they have done nothing wrong 🤔

Edited by nick76
Link to post
Share on other sites

:crylaugh:

Trump 'refusing to pay' Rudy Giuliani's legal fees after falling out

'Donald Trump has fallen out with his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and is refusing to pay the former New York mayor’s legal bills, it was reported, with the president feeling abandoned and frustrated during his last days in office.

Giuliani played a key role in Trump’s failed attempts to overturn the results of November’s presidential election through the courts. The lawyer mounted numerous spurious legal challenges, travelling to swing states won by Joe Biden, and spread false claims the vote was rigged.

According to the Washington Post, relations between Trump and Giuliani have dramatically cooled. Trump has instructed his aides not to pay Giuliani’s outstanding fees. The president is reportedly offended by Giuliani’s demand for $20,000 a day – a figure the lawyer denies, but which is apparently in writing. White House officials have even been told not to put through any of Giuliani’s calls.'

more on link: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/14/trump-refusing-to-pay-rudy-giuliani-legal-fees-after-falling-out

You wouldn't exactly say he was worth $20k/day would you.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You wouldn't exactly say he was worth $20k/day would you.

That hair dye/creosote don’t come cheap.

(although you’d have thought he might get a discount at Four Seasons). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Awol said:

Don’t know if he’s doing that, but China is the one thing his administration has consistently got right from day one.

The Dems are unlikely to change much at all on that front.

Interesting goings on.

The de-listing from the NYSE of Tencent et al. is now off.

The highly offensive sending of the UN ambassador to Taiwan is off.

They have de-classified the US military strategy documents for the pacific region, i.e., China. This is unlikely to make the named allies of Japan/Aus happy and may annoy Modi's lot too. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, magnkarl said:

First they need to be convicted, none of these criminals will be convicted before his term is up. But yes, in theory.

Not true, President Nixon says hi

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the majority party in the House can now impeach the opposition president with a simple majority vote, sans any hearing and all in 8hrs, including lunch/coffee.

Precedent.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, villakram said:

So, the majority party in the House can now impeach the opposition president with a simple majority vote, sans any hearing and all in 8hrs, including lunch/coffee.

Precedent.

 

Are you misunderstanding the process here? Or has something happened than we're unaware of?

Impeachment is the call to trial and is voted on by the House, simple majority needed

The Trial is in the Senate and conviction requires a 2/3rds Majority

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, villakram said:

So, the majority party in the House can now impeach the opposition president with a simple majority vote, sans any hearing and all in 8hrs, including lunch/coffee.

Precedent.

 

Well technically they've always been able to, no? This is just the first time they've chosen to do it this quickly. 

I agree though that it's going to make for pretty tedious theatre after every mid-term election and the House majority changes. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bickster said:

Are you misunderstanding the process here? Or has something happened than we're unaware of?

Impeachment is the call to trial and is voted on by the House, simple majority needed

The Trial is in the Senate and conviction requires a 2/3rds Majority

 

e.g., I wonder what the republican will do if they take the house in 2022.

Impeachment is final. Conviction is a separate but related process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be worth an email to your MP if anyone has a spare 5 mins during lockdown. UK needs to be lobbying to get this reversed immediately: 

 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Bit of a conundrum here, and one I went through 4 years ago when Toby Keith played the inauguration. You see Johnny Cash aside, country music singer Toby Keith is without exception my favourite country singer. Through thick and thin, fallow and feast I throw money at that man. CDs, DVDs, Tshirts. He has my money. He will continue to have my money. 
That said, he received a congressional medal of the arts yesterday, from Trump, whilst Rome was burning. Its the old separate the art from the artist issue. You would think whilst he was being impeached Trump would have more important matters to mull over than to honour the Red Solo Cup guy. 
Feel free to have a go at my music taste as a centre left Toby Keith fan I understand the paradox. 
 

A little ammunition 

 

Well, as long as you're asking, I think Toby Keith is a redneck plastic patriot with disgusting far right politics and terrible music.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â