U.S. Politics

maqroll

53 minutes ago, blandy said:

Just looked at that Twitter they have. #Trumpknew is trending because he was recorded in February and March by Bob Woodward , who has released the tapes, telling him he knew then the Virus was much more deadly than Flu and he was downplaying it. In other words he's been lying about it, 200,000 people have died. America (or the twitter of America) is vey cross.

While anything that makes it more likely that he's booted out in eight weeks is A Good Thing, I'd wonder about the journalistic ethics of sitting on that information while tens of thousands of people were dying because it's better timing to use it to promote your book.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

While anything that makes it more likely that he's booted out in eight weeks is A Good Thing, I'd wonder about the journalistic ethics of sitting on that information while tens of thousands of people were dying because it's better timing to use it to promote your book.

It’s a steady stream of one news drop after another about Trump at the moment and it will continue for the next two months until the election. 

Edited by LondonLax

51 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I honestly don't think it'd have made any difference. Trump has spouted bollocks about this for 7 months. "It's going away, folks". Anyone who could be reasoned with knew not to trust him. If it came out early on, it'd just have been another lie in the lists of thousands of lies by Trump. 

This does far more damage to Trump after months of him continuing to dismiss it.

We knew everything he said was bollocks. Now we just know that he knew it, too, and he's been allowed to dig himself in to a hole.

• Like 2

Just for fun.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-said-the-coronavirus-would-go-away-1054585/

The Impeached Presidents statements over the months:

February 10th  Death Count: 0
You know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April.

February 26th
We’re fortunate so far. And we think it’s going to remain that way. China is working very, very hard. I have spoken to President Xi, and they’re working very hard. And if you know anything about him, I think he’ll be in pretty good shape.… They’re getting it more and more under control.… So I think that’s a problem that’s going to go away.

February 27th
You have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.

February 28th
If we were doing a bad job, we should also be criticized. But we have done an incredible job. We’re going to continue. It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear. And from our shores, we — you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away.

March 6th  Death Count: 15
I don’t think people are panicking. I said last night — we did an interview on Fox last night, a town hall. I think it was very good. And I said, “Calm. You have to be calm.” It’ll go away.

March 10th  Death Count: 30
We’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.

March 12th  Death Count: 41
It’s going to go away. It’s going to go way.

March 30th  Death Count: 4,105
It is going away, and it will go away. And we’re going to have a great victory.

April 1st  Death Count: 6,465
It’s going to go away, hopefully at the end of the month. And, if not, hopefully it will be soon after that.… This is going to be gone. It’ll be gone. Hopefully gone for a long time.

April 3rd  Death Count: 8,960
Trump: It is going to go away. It is going away.
Q: But, Mr. President, you said it was going to go away in April.… You said, “When it warmed up in April…”
Trump: I said it’s going away, and it is going away.

April 7th  Death Count: 15,755
Q: You were saying things like, “I think it’s a problem that’s going to go away within a couple of days.”
Trump: Which I’m right about. It did go — it will go away.

April 28th  Death Count: 60,405
Q: Back in late February, you predicted that the number of cases would go down to zero. How did we get from your prediction of zero to 1 million?
Trump: Well, it will go down to zero, ultimately.… A lot of movement and a lot of progress has been made in a vaccine. But I think what happens is it’s going to go away. This is going to go away.

May 6th  Death Count: 76,307
This virus is going to disappear. It’s a question of when.

May 8th — Death Count: 80,197
I feel about vaccines like I feel about tests. This is going to go away without a vaccine. It’s going to go away, and it’s — we’re not going to see it again, hopefully, after a period of time.

May 15th  Death Count: 91,149
We think we’re going to have a vaccine in the pretty near future. And if we do, we’re going to really be a big step ahead. And if we don’t, we’re going to be like so many other cases, where you had a problem come in, it’ll go away — at some point, it’ll go away.

June 16th  Death Count: 121,792
I always say, even without it, it goes away. But if we had the vaccine — and we will — if we had therapeutic, or cure — one thing sort of blends into the other — it will be a fantastic day.

July 19th  Death Count: 143,758
I’ll be right eventually. You know, I said, “It’s going to disappear.” I’ll say it again. And I’ll be right.

July 21st  Death Count: 145,486
Well, the virus will disappear. It will disappear.

July 23rd  — Death Count: 147,915
It goes away, and it goes away quickly. The key is, we want it to go away without a lot of death, without a lot of problems.

August 8th  Death Count: 165,545
And we’re getting them [new jobs] even in a pandemic — which is disappearing; it’s going to disappear.

August 17th  Death Count: 174,215
And the China Plague will fade.

August 24th  Death Count: 181,074
And the pandemic goes away.

August 31st  Death Count: 187,736
And we use the word “herd.” Once you get to a certain number, it’s going to go away.

Lock him up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I honestly don't think it'd have made any difference. Trump has spouted bollocks about this for 7 months. "It's going away, folks". Anyone who could be reasoned with knew not to trust him. If it came out early on, it'd just have been another lie in the lists of thousands of lies by Trump. 

This does far more damage to Trump after months of him continuing to dismiss it.

I completely agree that politically it's worse for him this way.

I was talking morally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I completely agree that politically it's worse for him this way.

I was talking morally. 

I completely agree. There was some big story or other that one of the main NYT reporters on the Trump beat had sat on for literally years that he revealed the other day on Twitter. Why? As a promo for his upcoming book release of course. It's despicable behaviour.

Either this Tybring - Gjedde is an imbecile, or he has been paid off at an appropriate timing. To understand how much a man of peace Trump is, you only have to look as far as his " backyard".

This election is as much about the American people as it is about Trump. Trump is already damned by his actions as President. History will not show him in a great light. What the American people decide in November, is wether or not they wish to be his accomplices, or his nemesis. Still cannot believe that so many of them worship this false God. Hopefully the history books will show the Nation regained its sanity and removed him. The alternative is frightening for them....and us.

Another day, another scandal. Of course, Biden isn't quite progressive enough, which is a shame.

I think the thing that shocks me most is that Trump's staff were all stupid enough to let this moron sit down for 18 (eighteen!) interviews with one of the guys that took down Nixon. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-woodward-i-saved-his-ass-mbs-khashoggi-rage-2020-9?r=US&IR=T

• President Donald Trump bragged that he protected Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman after the assassination and dismembering of the Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.
    • "I saved his ass," Trump had said amid the US outcry over Khashoggi's killing, according to Bob Woodward's new book. "I was able to get Congress to leave him alone. I was able to get them to stop."
    • The president told Woodward he didn't believe that MBS ordered Khashoggi's murder, though the US and other foreign intelligence services concluded that he did order the attack.
    • After Khashoggi's murder, Trump bypassed Congress to sell roughly $8 billion in arms to the Saudis and the United Arab Emirates. He vetoed a trio of resolutions blocking the sale, as well as a resolution to end US support for the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

20 days until the first debate. Though guessing I'm using the word debate very loosely here. 

I've never watched one in full before, but I don't think I will miss this one, I bet it'll be fascinating.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No surprise he goes to this defense . . .

. . . because that's the problem with sitting on important claims for half a year; it looks like you agree that they're not important.

Almost as good as sitting on claims ‘He hates the troops!’ for 3 years. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No surprise he goes to this defense . . .

. . . because that's the problem with sitting on important claims for half a year; it looks like you agree that they're not important.

Surely that’s a hindsight thing, the importance. By that I mean in March and February, when Trump said those things to Woodward, the situation was not, as it is now. 200,000 people hadn’t died. It wasn’t at the time, as important as it clearly is now, with hindsight. Back then it was essentially “Trump told a lie” - something he does multiple times daily. No one knew then that the lie and errors would be so deadly. We only know that now.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Surely that’s a hindsight thing, the importance. By that I mean in March and February, when Trump said those things to Woodward, the situation was not, as it is now. 200,000 people hadn’t died. It wasn’t at the time, as important as it clearly is now, with hindsight. Back then it was essentially “Trump told a lie” - something he does multiple times daily. No one knew then that the lie and errors would be so deadly. We only know that now.

I can remember the early days of the pandemic, and I can remember that it was definitely a very big issue right away, from the start, that Trump wasn't taking it seriously.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can remember the early days of the pandemic, and I can remember that it was definitely a very big issue right away, from the start, that Trump wasn't taking it seriously.

Absolutely - so at the time, when no one knew what was going to happen, it was in essence, just another of many examples of Trump not taking it seriously. The importance/impact back then was less than now. Woodward said that at the time he didn't even know if what Trump was telling him was true.

The telling aspect, for me is like back then it was (as you say) a big issue that Trump wasn't taking the Virus seriously - all that "it'll just disappear" stuff and saying it was a made up thing by the Dems and so on - there was a wealth of examples of his idiocy, and people were infuriated with all of them.

But the impact now is that "here's Trump from February, on tape, saying "it's a really serious". So the impact is not only that he was told by the experts it was serious, but that this information had been absorbed by Trump who then decided to act in a particular way which resulted in all the deaths. IF Woodward had released the tapes back in March, they'd have been less impactful and had less effect  - just lost in the noise - it's the timing that makes them so, now. And Woodward knows that, and knew that (IMO). He's smart.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trump banned flights from China, and the usual crowd came out and played the racism/xeno card. Plenty of blame to around regarding the US response to this virus.

Meanwhile Pelosi wanted people to go shop and eat in Chinatown, while de Blasio wanted people in bars for paddies day (in mid fooking march!).

• Like 1

Â