U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 27/05/2020 at 16:07, HanoiVillan said:

I think on balance I don't agree with @villakram's argument here, but to give him his due, it's not completely without merit.

But was it relevant?

The point of my original post was about the warning labels being attached to Trump's tweets not to kick off a discussion about the relative merits of postal ballots. If there was a relevant discussion to be had then it might be about Twitter and social media platforms and the ensuing fallout of theis label being applied which led ot yesterday's executive order.

So much of the tactic of people like Trump is to take a small piece of truth or relevance and distort it enough (or put their own angle on it) to try and get a particular message over whilst leaving enough room for more sensible people to have a discussion on the topic thus allowing others (people supporting the politics of the original provocateur, mostly) to point back and say, "So, he actually had a point."

If people want to discuss the merits of postal voting then fine but I think they really ought to think twice about using a tweet from Trump as their starting point for that discussion without considering that doing so helps to legitimise the angle being spun by Trump (the 'substantially fraudulent' line) and they really ought to think again if the original post is one that is actually talking about the warning labels appended to Trump's tweets unless they want to give the impression that they, too, are seeking to distract.

Edited by snowychap
erroneous apostrophe
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Where have all the fat white guys in cammo with automatic weapons gone?

Bloody bad luck they’ve been prepping all their lives for this and it happens just when they can’t get a haircut.

If that’s not a deep state cuck conspiracy I don’t know what is... 

They're posted up outside of Targets and other stores to "protect" them from looting and are presumably the target of that dog whistle to start shooting the """THUGS"""when the looting starts.

28949994-0-image-m-40_1590704295308.jpg.813dc326bbe96fefccb5177111ab5036.jpg

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Twitter deleted his post

That's rather unhelpful unless you tell us which one. :)

Edit: Ah, I've just seen it's the looting/shooting one (isn't that a lyric of a song?). They've not deleted, though - they've labeled it as something that glorifies violence and hidden it from immediate view.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They're posted up outside of Targets and other stores to "protect" them from looting and are presumably the target of that dog whistle to start shooting the """THUGS"""when the looting starts.

28949994-0-image-m-40_1590704295308.jpg.813dc326bbe96fefccb5177111ab5036.jpg

Footage and pictures if that location show that its black and white men protecting from looters. I have also sewn footage exclusively of black men protecting businesses. 

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Remember when he called people protesting the fact they couldn’t get a hair cut “very good people”. 

I wonder what the main difference between those protestors and these protestors are. 

I just can’t put my finger on it. Think Stevo, dammit. THINK.

I don't doubt he's a racist piece of shit who'd be criticising them even if the protests were peaceful, but in this case I'd say the main difference is the big **** fire in the post immediately before yours.

Sadly the inevitable destruction and looting that always follows with civil protests takes away from the real issue at hand and at least to the people in charge justifies whatever countermeasures they then implement.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't doubt he's a racist piece of shit who'd be criticising them even if the protests were peaceful, but in this case I'd say the main difference is the big **** fire in the post immediately before yours.

There was no need for a fire or riot to start, the cops and the protesters were on the same size. There's no way in hell that if people showed up to protest George Floyd's murder armed to the teeth with AR-15's that it wouldn't end in unspeakable violence. 

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

No idea how confirmed this is, but y'know.

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Sadly the inevitable destruction and looting that always follows with civil protests takes away from the real issue at hand and at least to the people in charge justifies whatever countermeasures they then implement.

I could well imagine Trump orchestrating looting to have that justification in place.

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I could well imagine Trump orchestrating looting to have that justification in place.

There'll probably be enough of it so that he doesn't have to. But yeah I could see some right wing group staging events or at least instigating incidents to fan the flames of discontent.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

No idea how confirmed this is, but y'know.

This is the video they are working off 

He looks super shady

Edit: Also, how good is the guy in the pink shirt holding a pizza “Hold my blunt!” 😂

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

But was it relevant?

The point of my original post was about the warning labels being attached to Trump's tweets not to kick off a discussion about the relative merit's of postal ballots. If there was a relevant discussion to be had then it might be about Twitter and social media platforms and the ensuing fallout of theis label being applied which led ot yesterday's executive order.

So much of the tactic of people like Trump is to take a small piece of truth or relevance and distort it enough (or put their own angle on it) to try and get a particular message over whilst leaving enough room for more sensible people to have a discussion on the topic thus allowing others (people supporting the politics of the original provocateur, mostly) to point back and say, "So, he actually had a point."

If people want to discuss the merits of postal voting then fine but I think they really ought to think twice about using a tweet from Trump as their starting point for that discussion without considering that doing so helps to legitimise the angle being spun by Trump (the 'substantially fraudulent' line) and they really ought to think again if the original post is one that is actually talking about the warning labels appended to Trump's tweets unless they want to give the impression that they, too, are seeking to distract.

Yeah, the 'substantially fruadulent' line is complete bullshit, obviously.

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nah I'd say the main difference is they're (mainly) black.

Yeah these protests are a bit more violent. But the anti-lockdown protests were far far far more dangerous. 100,000 people have died from the thing they were protesting AGAINST the US protecting its citizens from. And the protests themselves probably led to deaths. But they were led by mainly white, right wing, Trump supporters.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I'm amazed someone hasn't already put a bullet in Trump. 

This x1000, in a county that’s already seen four presidents assassinated and countless other attempts. Why the hell has nobody gone for the orange man? 

Then I realise that all of the gun toting psychopaths are his supporters. There must be a decent sniper from left, surely? 

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

That's rather unhelpful unless you tell us which one. :)

Edit: Ah, I've just seen it's the looting/shooting one (isn't that a lyric of a song?). They've not deleted, though - they've labeled it as something that glorifies violence and hidden it from immediate view.

It was not able to be viewed when they first did it. Must have thought they might cop blowback. 

• Like 1

Â