U.S. Politics

maqroll

I came to the conclusion today that I want Trump to win in November. If he doesn't win he will be shouting from the sidelines until he does win again. My thoughts are get his 2 terms over and done with then at least his is done. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I came to the conclusion today that I want Trump to win in November. If he doesn't win he will be shouting from the sidelines until he does win again. My thoughts are get his 2 terms over and done with then at least his is done. 

If he loses in November, he's hardly likely to become the party's nominee again in the future. Firstly, he would be as old in four years as Biden is now, but more importantly, he would be seen as a loser and an unreliable bet by the Republican base. If he loses, the entire party will turn on him very rapidly (and they won't be short of ammo), because it will be necessary for them to portray their loss as due to Trump's personal failings rather than any rejection of their ideological agenda.

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

If he loses in November, he's hardly likely to become the party's nominee again in the future. Firstly, he would be as old in four years as Biden is now, but more importantly, he would be seen as a loser and an unreliable bet by the Republican base. If he loses, the entire party will turn on him very rapidly (and they won't be short of ammo), because it will be necessary for them to portray their loss as due to Trump's personal failings rather than any rejection of their ideological agenda.

Yep. 

If he loses i think he's in a world of trouble. He will have his lunatic base support him but it won't last long.

I would hope he would also start facing legal trouble, which being president has made him untouchable 

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I guess he might have less of a platform too. 

Yes, I would think so. What happened in 2008, when it was clear that Bush was politically dead, was that Republican congressional candidates ran *against* his record in many races, and then spent lots of time in the immediate aftermath of the election talking about how he had 'betrayed conservatism' or variations thereof. Trump is in much better shape politically than Bush was by that election (he was getting 25-30% in some polls of his approval rating at that point) but I would expect a somewhat similar dynamic to emerge if he plummets in the polls or loses the election.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Favorability polling.

Trump: 38%

Biden: 44%

6 more months... the US election cycle is the worst.

I am usually in the states during an election year and would have been this year. As an impartial viewer I love the attack ads, they are just the right mix of venom and comedy. That said I only have them for a 2 week period. 

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I came to the conclusion today that I want Trump to win in November. 

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I want America to add their history of shooting presidents. 

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

They don’t shoot the bad ones.

You're probably right. Those sort of demented/psychotic characters probably all voted for him. 

Trump is screwed if he loses. He already has numerous on going investigations into him that he has been able to stall and get rid of due to him being president. People aren't going to stick up for him if he is not the president. 

Â