U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 19/09/2019 at 13:56, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bill Maher is fantastic. He can be a bit too much at times (especially the Milo interview which made me question him) but I agree with him on a number things. He's a old leftist who has crept to libertarianism, largely down to being dismayed at current leftist politics, totally sympathise with him on that.

I'm not too well versed on Maher's history but from when I've first become aware of him (maybe around 2010) til now, he looks like your garden variety liberal who has a particular taste for bashing religion. Hardly a leftist. Some of his takes are just baffling and like @Chindie said, he's now veered into that low-hanging but rewarding fruit of whining about anything and everything progressive.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not too well versed on Maher's history but from when I've first become aware of him (maybe around 2010) til now, he looks like your garden variety liberal who has a particular taste for bashing religion. Hardly a leftist. Some of his takes are just baffling and like @Chindie said, he's now veered into that low-hanging but rewarding fruit of whining about anything and everything progressive.

I have absolutely no issue with that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I have absolutely no issue with that.

It's tedious but it's whatever. I forgot to mention the most egregious thing about him which is his unwavering support for Israel.

For example earlier this year (could have been last year), when the IDF mowed down protesters of the movement of the US embassy (among other things), Maher's response was to agree with his guest Bari Weiss in blaming the protesters for protesting that day, implying they did it on purpose on that particular day so that they could get massacred by the military in front of the media to gain sympathy points. What day was it? The day of the opening of the embassy. You know, the thing they were protesting in the first place.

“Bill, I love you, but the riots were not caused by the embassy move,” said Weiss. “They’re not linked. When Hamas attacked Israel in 2008, when Hamas attacked Israel in 2012, when it attacked Israel in 2014, the embassy was in Tel Aviv all of those times… They intentionally moved up the day so that it would coincide with the day of the embassy move so that we would all be disgusted and heartbroken when we saw this horrible split-screen of Ivanka Trump, looking like she was at a country club, next to poor, desperate people dying in Gaza.”

“I agree with you,” Maher replied. “They planned that. Absolutely.”

Even if their insinuation is true, it was still the IDF that obliged and pulled the trigger and killed dozens of people? It's crazy the lengths that some Americans will go to for a foreign country. 

Bill Maher’s completely one-sided-to-the-point- of-outright anti-Palestinian-bigotry support for Israel is probably my main issue with him. 

Bari Weiss was the genius who called Jeremy Corbyn an outright anti-semite last week. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Bill Maher’s completely one-sided-to-the-point- of-outright anti-Palestinian-bigotry support for Israel is probably my main issue with him. 

Bari Weiss was the genius who called Jeremy Corbyn an outright anti-semite last week. 

Bari Weiss made her name trying to get pro-Palestinian professors fired and heckling them during lectures while she was in college and now has a career where she whines about free speech on college campuses in the biggest publication in the country, with hits such as that infamous Intellectual Dark Web puff piece. She's living proof that meritocracy is a myth.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Bari Weiss made her name trying to get pro-Palestinian professors fired and heckling them during lectures while she was in college and now has a career where she whines about free speech on college campuses in the biggest publication in the country, with hits such as that infamous Intellectual Dark Web puff piece. She's living proof that meritocracy is a myth.

She's a pseudo-intellectual. A bigot with a platform and fancy words.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Trump embroiled in another controversy.

Allegedly attempted to hold military aid to Ukraine to ransom in return for Ukraine digging up dirt on Joe Biden's son.

Which is **** stupid.

Not only stupid, but also seemingly the final straw that has broken the back of a camel named "Impeachment".

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not only stupid, but also seemingly the final straw that has broken the back of a camel named "Impeachment".

Sadly just a distraction for a while. At worst he gets a slap on the wrist but his support won't care. Might even boost his popularity.

46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Sadly just a distraction for a while. At worst he gets a slap on the wrist but his support won't care. Might even boost his popularity.

Worse than that.  Every time someone speaks about it or one of his apologists is asked to defend him, or he tweets about it,  the words "Biden" and "corrupt" are being spoken in the same sentence.  It's almost like the controversy was planned so that he had a good reason to keep talking about "how disgracefully Biden has conducted himself."

19 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm with stoopid.

Can't be long before someone makes a picture with their bodies swapped with babies.

They both look like little kids.

Utterly clueless looking at the photographer jiggling his keys or something.

19 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Democrats are launching an impeachment inquiry.

the transcript has been released   ..... i've seen "nothing wrong and proves no pressure was put " to " it's how a mafia boss would talk" 

if they didn't impeach the serial adulterer lair I can't  see them being able to impeach over this   .... but nothing in politics surprises me nowadays

Isn't a transcript. It's a memo compiled from staffers who have heard the conversations' recollection of it - which is a nice way of cynically obscuring it.

The context makes it dodgy as **** - he is basically asking for a favour after he's been so good to them...

• Like 1

Â