U.S. Politics

maqroll

What Were North Carolina Republicans Trying to Pull While Democrats Attended 9/11 Memorials?

On Wednesday morning, most North Carolina state Democrats were attending 9/11 memorials away from the capitol where, they assumed, no business was scheduled until the afternoon. But while they were gone, Republicans called a vote to override the Democratic governor's veto of their budget. 

https://www.gq.com/story/north-carolina-republicans-911

wtf

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh at this despicable behaviour, but their villainy really does know no bounds. Some details from the article if people didn't click through:

'On Wednesday morning, most North Carolina state Democrats were attending 9/11 memorials away from the capitol where, they assumed, no business was scheduled until the afternoon. But while they were gone, Republicans called a vote to override the Democratic governor's veto of their budget. While Democrats protested that the Republicans had assured them that no votes would come up during 9/11 memorials, Republican House leader Tim Moore denied that any assurances ever happened: "There was never any notice that went out saying there would not be recorded votes." He added, "While some want to turn around and fuss and argue about procedure, look, if they didn’t want it to pass, all they had to do was show up for work."'

[...]

'Democratic governor Roy Cooper vetoed a two-year Republican-passed budget in June, saying that it underpaid teachers, gave unnecessary handouts to corporations, and didn't include Medicaid expansion to provide health care to the poorest people in the state.'

[...]

[and this is the absolute best part, wait till you get a load of this piece of shit - HV]

'Representative Jason Saine, who called the vote, claimed that it was a sign of disrespect for the Democrats to attend 9/11 memorials in the first place. In a statement to ABC 11, he said, "As a former firefighter and an American, I am appalled that anyone in our country would stop going about their normal business on this day. When we stop being a beacon of freedom, hope and democracy, then the terrorists win."'

*Of course* the issue they're willing to go to the mattresses over is denying poor people access to needed social welfare programs. People with longer memories will remember last winter, when state Republicans in Wisconsin and Michigan used lame-duck legislative sessions to strip the incoming Democratic governors of their powers, change the access to early voting, and - of course - keep control of the waivers that allow them to place work requirements on Medicaid and food stamps. (This was discussed here: 

)

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I see Trump plans to ban flavoured vapes, which might not be so popular with every member of his caucus:

vapcongress.gif&op=noop

He'll probably be in jail before long anyway, so he won't be able to vape at all.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I see Trump plans to ban flavoured vapes, which might not be so popular with every member of his caucus:

vapcongress.gif&op=noop

Off topic, but can we ban them in the UK as well? Why do vapers feel like just because it's got less toxic crap in it than a ciggie, it's necessary for them to blow raspberry & watermelon fusion in my face? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

He'll probably be in jail before long anyway, so he won't be able to vape at all.

Will he? That's good news then.

He'll be lap dancing for vape commissary in to time. Imagine being a republican in general population. Talk about stressful, might need his vape fix.

Not because he'd be in any particular danger out of the norm, just those inner demons, knowing what he stood for all those years and the consequences it has for so many.

All that bullsh*t he's spun from a distance of arm's length and a position of privilege. Now in and among those who are a product of the system and environment America developed.

"We saw you rise and we gon' be here when you fall"

Wouldn't want to be him at the minute if he is really facing time.

49 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Will he? I haven't been following his various scandals particularly closely recently; is there some sign that he might actually get what's coming to him?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

See, Trump gets something right every now and again! :) 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Will he? I haven't been following his various scandals particularly closely recently; is there some sign that he might actually get what's coming to him?

Oh man, I need to pay more attention to his dramas! Per Wikipedia:

'On June 24, 2019, federal prosecutors submitted a court filing alleging that Hunter used his campaign funds for extramarital affairs with five women, including lobbyists and congressional aides, between 2009 and 2016.'

Between his affairs and his Steam addiction, it's a miracle he ever had time to attend Congress. 

And he threw his wife under the bus when originally indicted, saying she had been running all their finances since he was deployed in Afghanistan or Iraq (I forget which) a dozen or so years ago.  She has already pled guilty and faces jail time and a $250k fine while he's still maintaining innocence.   Of course, a lot of this was known before the 2018 election and he still beat his Democratic challenger by linking him to his Palestinian grandfather (whom he had never met) who was one of the Munich terrorists in 1972.   So I have no delusions that he could still escape jail time and be free to vape in people's faces.

• Like 2

To be fair her choice of clothing on THAT day was diabolically stupid and tasteless. Just so it's said I'm not the fashion police,

I could care less if a dude where's baggy pants halfway down his ass, or a frock and lipstick on the weekend.

But that sh*t was like me donning a toothbrush mustache and swastika t-shirt whilst taking a poo on the doorstep at Yad Vashem.

Edited by A'Villan

I'm sensing that Liz might be the nominee for the Dems. Massive rally in NYC the other night. Surging in polls. Sanders still banging on about a Revolution, Warren somewhat more measured in her rhetoric...clearly the safer pick if bouncing Trump is the goal. Glad to see Harris sinking.

On 12/09/2019 at 22:39, Xela said:

See, Trump gets something right every now and again! :) 

I am not a fan but to be fair to him,  he has shown surprising restraint in blowing things up,  we should have had WWIII by now. 

The trade stance with China is spot on also given their actions in Business.  China dropped the ball with Huawei,  I genuinely think they didn't think about 5G and Google and the implications of this.  No Google apps on their new phones.  The one thing China want is a Chinese Apple,  this can never happen until they sort the trade and business end out.  If Trump wins again and they don't start behaving,  I predict a 90 % on all Chinese goods and  Huawei life to be made more uncomfortable.  They can,  in 1 morning stop their mobiles roaming quite easily around the world so I think they need to be careful.  They are waiting to see if Trump wins again.  He will.  

The Trade thing is not just about them just stealing everything they can get their hands on but also the dumping of fentanyl in the US on purpose.  That's the same as shooting 60 -80 k of people a year,  just with very slow bullets.  You purposely take out that many people a year,  that hurts the US from the inside.  9/11 was 3.5 k people remember,  fentanyl is good for 1,500 deaths a day ffs. 

• Like 1

I was watching the latest edition of Real Time last night and was reminded why I don’t like Bill Maher very much. First he interrupted Michael Moore every two seconds of his «interview», then talked out his arse about European welfare systems with no basis in reality, then let a Jewish author straight out call Jeremy Corbyn an anti-semite without comment. Do some effing research, eh, Bill? 

It’s not easy for the left over there. Guys like Bill Maher is supposed to be on their side. Who needs enemies? 

• Like 2

Bill Maher is fantastic. He can be a bit too much at times (especially the Milo interview which made me question him) but I agree with him on a number things. He's a old leftist who has crept to libertarianism, largely down to being dismayed at current leftist politics, totally sympathise with him on that.

• Like 1

Â