U.S. Politics

maqroll

Neocon shitstain Marc Thiessen has a piece in the Washington Post, which I link here but urge you not to reward with any clicks whatsoever, in which he lays out the positive case for purchasing Greenland - and mentions the people who live there or their interests a total of 0 times 🙄

This is barking.

Though there's a kind of poignancy in the signoff, "thank you for your attention to this matter", a stock phrase that a junior clerical officer in the 70s might have used.

If only he'd been confined to his true level, a minor backoffice post in Walmart or somewhere equally dire.

What kind of system allows an arse like this ro rise to the top?

And in the category of things an 9 year old might suggest:

Trump suggested nuking hurricanes to stop them from hitting U.S.

President Trump has suggested multiple times to senior Homeland Security and national security officials that they explore using nuclear bombs to stop hurricanes from hitting the United States, according to sources who have heard the president's private remarks and been briefed on a National Security Council memorandum that recorded those comments.

Behind the scenes: During one hurricane briefing at the White House, Trump said, "I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?" according to one source who was there. "They start forming off the coast of Africa, as they're moving across the Atlantic, we drop a bomb inside the eye of the hurricane and it disrupts it. Why can't we do that?" the source added, paraphrasing the president's remarks.

• Asked how the briefer reacted, the source recalled he said something to the effect of, "Sir, we'll look into that."
  • Trump replied by asking incredulously how many hurricanes the U.S. could handle and reiterating his suggestion that the government intervene before they make landfall. 
  • The briefer "was knocked back on his heels," the source in the room added. "You could hear a gnat fart in that meeting. People were astonished. After the meeting ended, we thought, 'What the f---? What do we do with this?'"

Trump also raised the idea in another conversation with a senior administration official. A 2017 NSC memo describes that second conversation, in which Trump asked whether the administration should bomb hurricanes to stop them from hitting the homeland. A source briefed on the NSC memo said it does not contain the word "nuclear"; it just says the president talked about bombing hurricanes.

• The source added that this NSC memo captured "multiple topics, not just hurricanes. … It wasn't that somebody was so terrified of the bombing idea that they wrote it down. They just captured the president’s comments."
  • The sources said that Trump's "bomb the hurricanes" idea — which he floated early in the first year and a bit of his presidency before John Bolton took over as national security adviser — went nowhere and never entered a formal policy process.

https://www.axios.com/trump-nuclear-bombs-hurricanes-97231f38-2394-4120-a3fa-8c9cf0e3f51c.html

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this site so might all be bull :D  But it kinda fits that Trump would suggest something like this doesn't it.

On 24/08/2019 at 08:26, peterms said:

It's interesting, the discussion point around the Koch's semi-annual seminars which are kept highly secret. I'd recommend anyone read that article if they haven't.

The FEC, the independent agency that is supposed to serve as the watchdog over how money is raised and spent in American elections, is now unable to enforce the law.

And here you have a consortium worth over 200 billion working in tandem to sway politics, using philanthropy groups so names don't have to be disclosed, and the rest of it..

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

It's interesting, the discussion point around the Koch's semi-annual seminars which are kept highly secret. I'd recommend anyone read that article if they haven't.

The FEC, the independent agency that is supposed to serve as the watchdog over how money is raised and spent in American elections, is now unable to enforce the law.

And here you have a consortium worth over 200 billion working in tandem to sway politics, using philanthropy groups so names don't have to be disclosed, and the rest of it..

but, the Russians! 🤨

• Sad 2

Â