U.S. Politics

maqroll

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He does the Obama act better than Beto O'Rourke that's for sure.

Being the smart guy in the room is about the extent of his shtick though and there's not much beneath that.

So would I, to be fair. Beto is about as charismatic as a potted plant. 

He does it better than everyone else too, though, which makes me think he’ll stay in the race for a while. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It seems he was okay with assault rifles when they were massacring Afghans in an illegal war but draws the line at Americans. 

That's more than a bit shit.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Just read that someone walked into a walmart yesterday in body armour with a loaded hand guns and rifle just to see if Walmart were still respecting his rights to the second amendment

he then got stopped by an armed off duty fireman , which is just as WTF , he’s lucky he wasn’t stopped by a .44 through his head  in the current climate 

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It seems he was okay with assault rifles when they were massacring Afghans in an illegal war but draws the line at Americans. 

This is a joke surely. Obviously if he's sent out to war he's going to be using military grade equipment. His tweets certainly don't appear to convey the point you were making and one of them you cannot source.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Here's the one from a couple of years ago:

And this one from 3 days ago:

Yeah, the first tweet is a dumpster fire, the second not so much. The first one is cringe, because he’s linking two completely unconnected things at two different times, to try and make himself look good to US voters. The second one is absolutely fine and common sense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is a joke surely. Obviously if he's sent out to war he's going to be using military grade equipment. His tweets certainly don't appear to convey the point you were making and one of them you cannot source.

"Sent out"

He voluntarily joined. You make it sound like he was drafted.

Even if he was drafted, his country shouldn't have been there in the first place. It was (I guess still is) a tenuously legal war at best, against a country/entity that never attacked them or had anything to do with 9/11. 

So while he's right that people shouldn't be using assault rifles in America, he shouldn't have been using one in Afghanistan either and it's just a weird thing to brag about I'm sure you'd agree. Like I said, Americans, even the well-meaning liberals, seem to take their country's imperialist wars for granted.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Yeah, the first tweet is a dumpster fire, the second not so much. The first one is cringe, because he’s linking two completely unconnected things at two different times, to try and make himself look good to US voters. The second one is absolutely fine and common sense.

I only posted the second one as I found it while trying (and failing) to search for the first one and was surprised that he went for a similar angle despite the fact that he received such a backlash the first time.

Nothing wrong with what he said there, it's just weird that he's always shoehorning his military service where he can. But I guess that's American politics for you, and that apparently plays well to the average voter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

"Sent out"

He voluntarily joined. You make it sound like he was drafted.

Even if he was drafted, his country shouldn't have been there in the first place. It was (I guess still is) a tenuously legal war at best, against a country/entity that never attacked them or had anything to do with 9/11. 

So while he's right that people shouldn't be using assault rifles in America, he shouldn't have been using one in Afghanistan either and it's just a weird thing to brag about I'm sure you'd agree. Like I said, Americans, even the well-meaning liberals, seem to take their country's imperialist wars for granted.

I can't figure out whether this post is some sort of satire. If you join the military you don't have the luxury of choosing where to go, Afghanistan is one place among many where he could have been sent, presumably refusing to go would have resulted in either a dishonourable discharge or a court martial. 

The point you make about he "shouldn't have been using an assault rifle in Afghanistan" is outrageously bizarre. He's being sent to a war zone, he will therefore be equipped with military grade equipment. None of this makes him "psychopathic", which is your initial allegation about him.

Silly season in this thread isn't it?

• Like 2

I think the point about shoe horning his military background into a lot of conversations is valid, though, even if I’m prepared to accept that says more about American political discourse than it does about Mayor Pete in particular. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I can't figure out whether this post is some sort of satire. If you join the military you don't have the luxury of choosing where to go, Afghanistan is one place among many where he could have been sent, presumably refusing to go would have resulted in either a dishonourable discharge or a court martial. 

The point you make about he "shouldn't have been using an assault rifle in Afghanistan" is outrageously bizarre. He's being sent to a war zone, he will therefore be equipped with military grade equipment. None of this makes him "psychopathic", which is your initial allegation about him.

Silly season in this thread isn't it?

I'm not talking about what he should have done at that moment in time. He was there, he did what he did. I'm not criticizing him for his actions at the time. 

I'm talking about after the fact, years later in 2017. Especially having been there first hand and with the benefit of hindsight, you would think he'd see that it was just as wrong to use an assault rifle in Afghanistan, but instead he seems perfectly fine with it and used it to contrast with a completely unrelated situation.

You'd just have to contrast this with his rival Tulsi Gabbard who also served in the military, but came out of it with a profoundly different perspective on US military intervention and has built her platform on non-interventionism. Do you think she'd ever make a comment like that?

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If you join the military you don't have the luxury of choosing where to go, Afghanistan is one place among many where he could have been sent

Isn't that the point that's being made?  That he knew this, and was content to join up on that basis, supporting an invasion (one among so many)?

• Like 1

So Mr Epstein, with lots of info about sex abuse by very powerful people, on suicide watch in prison, manages to commit suicide.

Oh, right.

I expect the CCTV will have malfunctioned, or been eaten by bears or something.

Â