U.S. Politics

maqroll

22 hours ago, villakram said:

The cop who murdered Garner, who was "guilty" of the "crime" of selling single cigarettes, got off scot free today.

Justice. I thought it meant honourable and fair in one's dealings.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Justice. I thought it meant honourable and fair in one's dealings.

Yup, so do dictionaries etc. strangely enough. Unfortunately education/reading and such is required. Proper depressing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villakram said:

Yup, so do dictionaries etc. strangely enough. Unfortunately education/reading and such is required. Proper depressing.

I'd of thought that the people employed to embody the concept of justice and give it  meaning through their deeds, would need that education and tutelage as a prerequisite.

Otherwise the whole exercise is redundant as it can't serve the intended purpose and becomes meaningless. It really is depressing. All over some cigarettes?

The Ramsey Orta story is equally concerning.

When you have a criminal like Orta responsible for exposing the misconduct of police it raises some questions about how it all works and why it is that way.

The facade of there being a trustworthy and accountable institution in protecting the people withers away when you inspect the culture, protocol and policy of the authorities.

At least Orta can discuss his criminal background and upbringing which creates understanding that can lead to learning.

The denial and unequivocal stance about responsibility in any wrong-doing from the government and the institutions that belong to it is farcical.

It's meant to prevent and detect crime, full stop. Not be a perpetrator that uses power and authority to overlook malignant behaviour depending on who's responsible.

• Like 1

Cant be long now before they bring out those American flags from "The Man In The High Castle"

Relaterad bild

Was in New York when they had those promo metro train seats a few years back, now I would not be surprised to see them brought back for the election.

Bildresultat för the man in the high castle us flag

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Trump wants violence

This is not just an electoral strategy. Nor is this or this. The Trump White House is, of course, thinking about 2020 and the all-out racist kulturkampf they will use to win. It is, of course, thinking strategically about how to polarise against the Left. But Trump wants violence. Trump is inciting violence. Trump is outsourcing violence. 

This is not new. He began doing it, casually, at Republican primary rallies. And he was careful not to criticise people who committed violence in his support. The Trump fans who beat up a homeless immigrant in Boston, were "very passionate". Nor would he unequivocally denounce the neo-Nazis who marched in Charlottesville, even after the murder of Heather Heyer...

...When Trump barks out his stream-of-consciousness racism, misogyny, chauvinism and violent exhortation, he is not interested in the reality-principle. He is forming a libidinal bond with his followers. He is giving them an idealised strongman to narcissistically identify with. And he is giving them a dose of energising violent hatred for all that debunks or questions their values. He does this both spontaneously and strategically. And when he incites his followers to violence, it is that libidinal bond that he is calling upon.

The Republican leadership isn't stupid. They know what Trump is doing. If they refuse to criticise him, or call his remarks racist - which is the least that can be said about them - it is not because they're not wise to it. If they formally instruct Republican members of Congress not to vote for a motion condemning his remarks as racist, it isn't because they haven't spotted the breach with their traditional brand of hypocrisy. They know that their fates are now tied to his. They know that going into the presidential election, Trump is their candidate. They know that they're going to have to fight for him. They have shown us that they are not going to weaken him if they can avoid it. And that means, from now until the election, they are signed up and on board with the programme. Kulturkampf 2020.

• Like 3

Just now, Mozzavfc said:

Dread to think what he'd say if he losses his re-election bid 

ein reich ein volk ein fuehrer? Using Trump logic, he could even go back to where he came from to say it

You do all realize that we are now talking about immigration. Trump and the republicans can always appeal to the law and security here. The dems position of ethics and morals is fundamentally weaker as proven time and again at the ballot box globally.

Talking about the economy or healthcare would be a better fight as the midterms proved. Trump and his team are much less stupid than appreciated.

7 hours ago, villakram said:

You do all realize that we are now talking about immigration. Trump and the republicans can always appeal to the law and security here. The dems position of ethics and morals is fundamentally weaker as proven time and again at the ballot box globally.

Talking about the economy or healthcare would be a better fight as the midterms proved. Trump and his team are much less stupid than appreciated.

We're talking about sitting congresswomen, 3/4 of whom were born in America. It was never about immigration, that was always the red herring to hide behind for reasons of plausible deniability. They're clearly past the point of caring about that anymore. Congresswoman Omar's life is in particular danger now. 

I've seen many MAGAites threatening violence on social media, not only towards her but even her father who is now the victim of a vicious smear campaign that alleges he's a former member of Somalia's dictatorial regime (he wasn't). One particular gent I saw said he was going to pack up his guns and drive to Minnesota to "capture him". We're talking about American citizens here, not the red herring of illegal immmigrants.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Are we? I thought we were talking about the President's obvious, patent racism?

My point is that you/we are talking about what Trump dictates we talk about. I am kinda of the hope that we don't fall into this trap again.

19 minutes ago, villakram said:

My point is that you/we are talking about what Trump dictates we talk about. I am kinda of the hope that we don't fall into this trap again.

So what do you do? Talk about what Trump doesn't want you to talk about?

What you are suggesting is that we all lose from step one. Anything that we discuss that is 'Trump' is a 'loss'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villakram said:

With all due respect you have been, since that awful man was elected, the master of whataboutery when it comes to Trump. We talk about him and then you deflect it on to a different subject, or the Democrats. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, villakram said:

My point is that you/we are talking about what Trump dictates we talk about.

I dunno about on this messageboard, but it's definitely a deliberate tactic of Trump's to get the media to cover one thing rather than another he doesn't want talked about. There's loads of examples - it looks like a pattern of behaviour. Currently he says something racist and dog-whistley and it's all over the press and TV. Not much coverage of the web of connections that Jeffrey Epstein (accused of sexual abuse and of being a peado) has with "well known rich and famous" people. But perhaps that's co-incidence?

Previous mentions on his twitter feed of Mexicans, Hilary, immigrant caravans, Rocket man, Muslims, China, African Countries, Iran...etc - they looked a lot like a clear distraction technique  - away from Russian investigations, Mueller revelations, Stormy Daniels accusations....etc.

I'm not sure that "look, hey! over here, I'm a racist" as a distraction technique is particularly bright, mind. It might make rednecks cheer and holler, but most people.... 

Maybe it's just him tweeting and repeating whatever bile his "circle" are whispering in his ear, maybe it's whatever the Fox TV shock shows are covering, but it looks like it's deliberate distraction.

• Like 4

Â