U.S. Politics

maqroll

Trump goes on a totally mental rant about how awesome he is and how social media and 'fake news' media will go out of business, and at the exact same moment twitter has a worldwide outage. Interestingly coincidental timing there...

7 hours ago, sne said:

A grown up who believed in Santa Clause would never be allowed to hold any kind of office, but apparently this is fine.

Something, something religious freedom... insert ad hominem here... God bless the United States of America.

• Like 2

Content to see vast numbers of homeless people in the richest country in the world, the residents of the richest state in the richest country argue against providing shelter for the homeless.

They are bad for the environment, apparently.

The wealthy San Francisco residents who launched a crowdfunding campaign to block construction of a new homeless shelter in their waterfront neighborhood are employing a new tactic: arguing that homeless people are bad for the environment.

In a lawsuit filed against the city of San Francisco and the California State Lands Commission, the residents called for the project to undergo an environmental review before breaking ground.

“This project will have a significant effect on the environment due to these unusual circumstances, including by attracting additional homeless persons, open drug and alcohol use, crime, daily emergency calls, public urination and defecation, and other nuisances,” the lawsuit states.

What a shithole.

4 hours ago, peterms said:

Content to see vast numbers of homeless people in the richest country in the world, the residents of the richest state in the richest country argue against providing shelter for the homeless.

They are bad for the environment, apparently.

What a shithole.

On the one and only time I went to SF, MRsVM and me were both rather shocked at the way the homeless were not allowed in certain areas of the city. Signs up on walls. All those spiky things dotted around 'sleepable' areas. Police literally moving people on to a more 'out of sight' location (after we had seen this happen we took a little interest). And this was the famously, supposedly, most liberal city in the US.

Of course, that's exactly what they do in Cardiff now too. :( Dispersal Orders and PSPO's have been accused by some of criminalising vagrancy. I couldn't possibly comment. It would appear that the Champions League Final (much like the Royal Wedding at Windsor) is just one of those things where people don't want to have to think about how awfully our system actually treats people while it's on. Go figure! And then once the world's media has left town they are 'allowed' back. Weird how that works isn't it.

You know that thing in 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs' that scoops up all the rubbish and catapults it over the hill and out of sight until it becomes so big that the dam breaks? Yeah, that.

Safety, Prosperity and Image the all important issues here to that Tory Councillor then I see.

The message had received more than 1,500 comments by Friday morning, with Thomas replying that it had been an “awfully judged tweet”.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/25/tory-councillor-calls-homeless-peoples-tents-torn-down-cardiff

While rather appalling, dismissive views on other people appear to be fine in public office as long as we pass it off as 'maybe I shouldn't have said that one out loud', things aren't going to get any better are they?

(She was suspended from the local Conservative group for that.........for 3 days! Tweet on Thursday, suspended on Friday amid the media backlash, lifted on Monday. Trebles all round!)

Anyway I'm wildly OT, only it's not is it? It's the same shit. Glass houses I suppose.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Total disconnect from reality, this guy's been living in a Bel Air bubble for the last 50 years.

I'd love to know how him and Angie are getting on these days 😂

Trump with a fairly astonishing (perhaps? I’m not sure anything is anymore) xenophobic - if not plain racist - tirade against American congresswomen. 

He has to go, right? Surely? Maybe?

He'll go at the polls, possibly, maybe. Or in a box. Or in a near miss to a box. And no other way.

He's not going because he's publicly been a racist word removed. That's basically his brand at this point.

• Like 1

the man is disgusting 

this is the man we are relying on to make the tory / ukip / brexit wet dream a reality

we're hoping a thick as shit, fat, racist manchild, is on our side

we're hoping him and Boris and Ambassador Farage really really see eye to eye

the man's a toilet

Blatant racism aside, he's angry about elected politicians trying to influence government policy? 

He's got shit for brains and so have the half the population of America that elected him. 

• Like 4

Â