U.S. Politics

maqroll

26 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's an extremely, extremely good and powerful cartoon.

Supposedly his contract was ended with no reason given after this cartoon was picked up and subsequently went viral. The company that runs the paper (and a bunch of others in Canada) is actually an oil business, and seems they felt like being this sharply critical of a partner government was bad for business...

• Like 3

When I was studying the Second World War, I could never get my head around how nazi atrocities could be tolerated without anyone batting an eyelid. 

That such current treatment of human beings has been normalised by the “leaders of the free world” staggers me just as much. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sne said:

AOC has posted solidly about this. Apparently prior to the visit a Facebook group of border patrol employees was revealed that basically was riddled with insults and threats against her. I think she ultimately made the conclusion that there probably is a correlation between the kind of people the border patrol employs and the treatment there is of migrants 'in their care'.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Chindie said:

AOC has posted solidly about this. Apparently prior to the visit a Facebook group of border patrol employees was revealed that basically was riddled with insults and threats against her. I think she ultimately made the conclusion that there probably is a correlation between the kind of people the border patrol employs and the treatment there is of migrants 'in their care'.

The private FB group contained 9,500 members. Border Patrol employs 20,000.........

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The private FB group contained 9,500 members. Border Patrol employs 20,000.........

I'd say I'm shocked, but yeah. I can imagine the kind of person attracted to the border patrol in the current climate. Didn't they recently go on a recruitment drive? Which was criticised because whenever the border patrol hires en masse, they tend to get a whole lot of bastards.

As an aside, I reckon AOC must be high on the target list for a certain kind of nutter. She's everything they hate. A New York democrat with very liberal views (for the US) who also happens to have Hispanic heritage and is an outspoken woman. There'll be plenty of ammo with her name on it waiting, sadly.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'd say I'm shocked, but yeah. I can imagine the kind of person attracted to the border patrol in the current climate. Didn't they recently go on a recruitment drive? Which was criticised because whenever the border patrol hires en masse, they tend to get a whole lot of bastards.

As an aside, I reckon AOC must be high on the target list for a certain kind of nutter. She's everything they hate. A New York democrat with very liberal views (for the US) who also happens to have Hispanic heritage and is an outspoken woman. There'll be plenty of ammo with her name on it waiting, sadly.

Within the FB group they were talking the big talk about hurting her and throwing burritos at her. I know we live in a bubble here in NYC but everyone I speak to is in complete shock at the state of things.

So, Trump is getting his North Korea style parade in DC today and will use the stage to hold a campaign rally in front of the Lincoln memorial. 

Yuk. 

6 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

So, Trump is getting his North Korea style parade in DC today and will use the stage to hold a campaign rally in front of the Lincoln memorial. 

Yuk. 

I gather he's having tanks as a show of strength.

But why stop there?  What about a mock-up of one of their torture camps?  Waterboarding exhibitions?  Distribution of samples of depleted uranium - create your own mutations?  Copies of training manuals for central American death squads?

It would give a more realistic and rounded picture.

1 minute ago, peterms said:

I gather he's having tanks as a show of strength.

But why stop there?  What about a mock-up of one of their torture camps?  Waterboarding exhibitions?  Distribution of samples of depleted uranium - create your own mutations?  Copies of training manuals for central American death squads?

It would give a more realistic and rounded picture.

His base would probably love it too. 

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

His base would probably love it too. 

It is one of the things I can't get my head around whenever there is a mass shooting and these people say they need their guns in case they need to fight the government, then vote for a mental President who wants parades to show off the government's military might on their streets.  

NOFX realesed this one back in 2003, sadly it's even more true now than then.

The Idiots Are Taking Over

It's not the right time to be sober
Now the idiots have taken over
Spreading like a social cancer, is there an answer?

Mensa membership conceding
Tell me why and how are all the stupid people breeding

Watson, it's really elementary
The industrial revolution
Has flipped the bitch on evolution
The benevolent and wise are being thwarted, ostracized, what a bummer
The world keeps getting dumber
Insensitivity is standard and 
faith is being fancied over reason

Darwin's rolling over in his coffin
The fittest are surviving much less often
Now everything seems to be reversing, and it's worsening